My first biotope! Suggestions 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by cichlidmac, Dec 28, 2012.

1. cichlidmac

cichlidmac Well Known Member Member

Well after starting this hobby over 10 years ago, I thinks it's about time I do a biotope. I've been dreaming of a Zaire river biotope for years, with very fast water current to mimic the white water rapids (well not quite white water but I want a lot of current). I'm going to keep this an absolute Zaire biotope.

Here is a list of species I have so far please add to the list or share any experience you have with these fish.

African Red Eyed Tetra,Arnoldichthys spilopterus

African Suckermouth Catfish,Chiloglanis cameroonensis

Ornate Catfish,Chrysichthys ornatus

African Glass Catfish,Eutropiellus"debauwi"

Banded African Tetra,Distichodus sexfasciatus

Congo Tetra,Phenacogrammus interruptus

Butterfly Cichlid,Hemichromis thomasi

Catfish, Synodontis robertsi, angelicus, brichardi, camelopardalis

Blockhead Cichlid,Steatocranus casuarius

I'm also looking to purchase some f1 steatocranus casuarius as the center piece.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  2. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

I don't have any experience with the above, but it sounds like a great setup!

Let's see if anyone chimes in today.

3. OP
    OP
    cichlidmac

Lamprologus lethops why does this fish have to be endangered? :( It would be awesome for this setup.

4. OP
    OP
    cichlidmac

So think I'll do 6 African glass catfish, 6 Distichodus decemmaculatus, and a pair of Buffalo head cichlids or butterfly cichlids. I'll aquascape with sand, large and small round stones, some anubias and maybe a piece of African driftwood. I'm going to use a power head pointed at a large stone on one end of the tank to create a little rapid area going over the rock into the center of the tank, and have a slightly calmer area on the back end. This will be awesome!

5. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

If bolbitis is from that area then I'd add a bit of that.

6. OP
    OP
    cichlidmac

I would but I think Distichodus decemmaculatus eats it but I can always try, and yes it's from the same region.

7. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

Pics?

8. OP
    OP
    cichlidmac

In a month or so :)

9. OP
    OP
    cichlidmac

Ok, ive decided to go even crazier with this setup (if I can acquire these fish). I'm going to go with rare (hard to get) species from the lower Congo rapids (Zaire). Most of you are familiar with the Lamprologus (shell dwellers) from Tanganyika. Well check out this Lamprologus tigripictilis from the rapids of the Zaire river.

10. OP
    OP
    cichlidmac

So far the above cichlid and this tetra are my choices.

Click the see image link on the page.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice