My First Batch Of Molly Babies!

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well, my female black molly, Stella, finally gave birth not but an hour ago. I'm kinda' nervous, here is where all my research and hard studying pays off. 28 items were birthed out, of that, 3 were underdeveloped, 1 was an unused egg, and 1 just didn't make it. But 23 survived, and are swimming enthusiastically about in the breeding trap.

Pics:
DSC01357.JPG

DSC01358.JPG

DSC01359.JPG

Here are the unhatched, and dead fish. One of the unhatched fish are breathing. I can see it's little mouth gasping, and it wiggles every once and a while. What should I do?
DSC01360.JPG

I'm so excited! But am worried I might mess up.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Congrats ben. I'd leave the underdeveloped one as is and let nature take its course. It may or may not pull through. I've found that often times when trying to help we end up doing more harm than good. Great pics.

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks! I actually believe now that the other two underdeveloped fry are still alive. They breathe very slowly, while the one I mentioned before quite rapidly.
So I'm having trouble with feeding. I read that you are suppose to feed them as soon as they are born, so I put in some First Bites. They didn't notice, so I pushed it down with my finger. They still didn't notice, even as it rained down around them. Some is sitting at the bottom, will they notice it when they get hungry?

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yeah I wouldn't worry too much just yet, they are just now experiencing life so it may take them a little bit to get into the groove. If you are really concerned just toss some moss or some other plant in there for them to pick at. Are you moving them to another tank?

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a 2.5 gallon fry tank set up, yes. But I wasn't going to move them for a few days so they would be a little stronger and ready for the stressful acclimation and move. Next time I might put the trap in the breeding tank, and acclimate the mother and just move her back after birth.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds like a plan. I normally transfer guppy and platy fry as soon as the mother looks like she's done, or if the fry tank is empty i'll have her in there so there's no transition issue.

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Cool, cool. So when should I try feeding them again? In the morning? I can put a piece of hornwort in for them too, you know.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
definitely put the plant in there, they can pick at the microscopic stuff on it, you might even see them doing it. Try to feed them again in the morning.

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks! So I added the Hornwort and they love it. They swim up and hide in it and stuff.
DSC01361.JPG

DSC01362.JPG

DSC01363.JPG

DSC01364.JPG

EDIT: Also to bring up another issue, I heard you can feed them milk and hardboiled egg yolk. The hardboiled egg yolk seems pretty self exclamatory, but by "milk" do they mean regular cow's milk? Like that we eat with our cereal?

Last edited:

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've heard of powdered milk being used but I wouldn't bother, first bites is great, if u want some change use microworms or order some golden pearls.

red020804

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
congrats on your new additions. i hope you have better luck with yours then im having with mine. lol

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How big are they? I found Molly fry in my tank this morning (silver lyretail methinks) but they are so much smaller than the black Molly fry I have when they were first born and even smaller than the platy fry when they were first born. I wonder if they can have preemies like humans that go on to survive.

-Lisa

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Maybe it's all genetics, Kunsthure. The mother, Stella, is substantially larger than most black mollies usually are.
jeta, I was going to try and order some unhatched brine shrimp eggs and hatch them myself with a home made hatchery made out of a 2 liter Pepsi bottle and an air pump. Feed them live brine shrimp, how great would that be?!

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
they carry them in a LFS here, you might want to call around. It's alot of work IMO, microworms are the live food of choice for me lol.

I've done the bbs thing a few times but I don't always have an extra air pump sitting around, and even when I do, I don't like waiting, and then separatingi them from the shells and unhatched, blah. microworms = a quick swipe of the finger on the edge of the dish and then in the tank, done and done.
I supplement with hikari first bites, although I'm going to likely switch to golden pearls for cost efficiency, and hey if its good enough for the european breeding industry its good enough for me lol.

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That's the video that taught me how to do all of it. Seem extremely simple to me, but if not to you, then I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
But, yes, good advice. I was going to call around tomorrow and see who has some.
Do you think Petsmart would have any?

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
my local petsmart doesn't, but one of the locally owned LFS does.

It is really simple to set up, i actually use a glass jar with a lid, run the tube through a hole in the lid, simple as that, plus if it gets knocked over or something it doesn't go everywhere.

For me it was just annoying having to wait and then suck out the bbs, let them sit again in another container to try to minimize any shells, then put them into a coffee filter and rinse them so I didn't dump a bunch of salt water into my fry tank. Doing all that, compared to taking 5 seconds to swipe some microworms off of a dish, lets just say i took the lazy route =P

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Lol, well I of all people can understand taking the lazy way.
But I do like the brine shrimp idea. I enjoy the work, it's a challenge. School work on the other hand...;:barf
I'll look into the microworm idea though.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
if you are interested in microworms let me know and i'll see if i can work out sending you a culture. It really doesnt take much of a culture to get started I'm just wondering whether it can be sent in a regular envelope lol

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Maybe it can be put into a plastic sandwich bag and then into the envelope. Let me look up some stuff on it before I start giving out info.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom