My first attempt at breeding clownfish

Rosethebunny

If you've seen my other posts you'll know that I epicly failed at keeping a pair of maroon clownfish and ended up rehoming them (one was trying to kill the other). Well this is attempt #2 of trying to pair/breed clownfish.

Today I bought a pair of (ocellaris?) Clownfish from someone I met on a local forum. Not sure how old they are, they are 2.5 and 2 inches. They are getting along well and always stay by each other's side. The male really enjoys doing the "seizure" thing around the female. He flips on his side and shakes as a way to show submission. Occasionally the female also does this odd dance. I managed to get a video of the male twitching.
They've also taken a liking to a ceramic pot I put in the tank as a hidey hole
They are in a 75 gallon tank with an opaque divider in the middle to separate them from my two juvenile mocha clownfish.

I think the smaller fish is a misbar. Maybe someone else knows what the larger one is?

I also ordered rotifers online so I can practice culturing them.

I'll try to update this thread regularly in case anyone is interested to see how this goes! I'm by no means an expert but am very excited about this.
link to the video I mentioned earlier

TropicalFlow

Very cute! Hope it works out

Rosethebunny

So this is day four of trying to get clownfish to lay eggs. Maybe it's my imagination but I think the female is looking kind of chubby. They've only been in this tank for four days though so I doubt she is getting ready to lay eggs this soon. Possibly the reason is that I'm feeding them a lot (although the male doesn't look any bigger). I was reading about how they won't lay eggs unless they have enough nutrients which is why I'm feeding them so much. I've only tried pellets and frozen brine shrimp so far and am planning on getting flakes and mysis shrimp which I heard are good...
Both fish are still twitching to each other, and they like their ceramic pot but I haven't seen any cleaning yet.
Rotifers came on Monday, they seem to being doing well, I'm feeding them rg complete that I got on reef nutrition and I have airline tubing in with them as well.

Btw, does anyone know if female clownfish get a big tummy when they're going to lay eggs?
Sorry for the bad picture, she looks a lot bigger irl

Azedenkae

She does look a bit rounder. XD Exciting. Yeah feeding more is necessary. The male may never grow much larger but that's fine. Good luck!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rosethebunny
Replies
Views
Nart
Replies
Views
ahouseofscales
  • Question
Replies