My first aquascape attempt

bmuckluck

Reaction score
So I bought a nano tank and attempted to do a dirted tank- but the gravel I used was too big and the dirt was leeching out, the water was always dark and the ammonia was out of control and it didn't show signs of beginning to cycle until after two weeks. I wanted to try again and I like the look of sand so that is what I went with! Its pool filter sand (thanks for everyone on this forum who told me to buy it!) And it is dirted as well.. I put a layer of sand around the perimeter so you can't see the dirt and hopefully the cap is thick enough that it doesn't leach out! Also hoping my dwarf grass does okay as most people advised it works better in gravel.
My java ferns don't look great but i'm hoping they will make a comeback. In the back is clippings of hornwort from my main tank.. im hoping it will create a nice backdrop as the tank I chose has a grey backing and a compartment for the filtration which i'm not too fond off... I have a small heater for the tank but I am not sure if I will be running a filter yet. As for livestock, I have no plans and won't be adding anything until the plants grow in and the tank is of course cycled. Not sure if I will just move filter media over from my big tank or just put some fish food in and let it happen gradually. Then I may add snails and/or shrimp or whatever might do the best job at keeping the sand looking nice. Open to suggestions! Originally it was going to be a plants only scape.. but we'll see ;)
I also have loads of java moss so if you have any suggestions how/if I should incorporate it I would love to hear!
Thanks for reading! Let me know what ya think! :)
1586068429657.png
1586068453661.png
:)

mrsP

Reaction score
it will be great when it grows. However, did you plant java fern? It's rhizome should not be under substrate. You can tie or glue it to small rock and place them where you want them to grow, but if you plant them they tend to die.

OP
bmuckluck

bmuckluck

Reaction score
mrsP said:
it will be great when it grows. However, did you plant java fern? It's rhizome should not be under substrate. You can tie or glue it to small rock and place them where you want them to grow, but if you plant them they tend to die.
I was wondering why my java fern never do well! I had no idea! Thanks so much!

Debbie1986

Well Known
Reaction score
slightly off topic, I recognize that tank. the filter tends to burn out after a few months. It's a great tank, just wanted to warn you in case it happens so you can be prepared.

Look great ! I can never get such fine plants set up like you did. :)

OP
bmuckluck

bmuckluck

Reaction score
Debbie1986 said:
slightly off topic, I recognize that tank. the filter tends to burn out after a few months. It's a great tank, just wanted to warn you in case it happens so you can be prepared.

Look great ! I can never get such fine plants set up like you did. :)
Thanks! I appreciate that! I was debating trying to run it low-tech without a filter so that's good to know & maybe I should go that route!

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom