65 Gallon Tank My first aquarium (65Gal)

UNTAMEDlore

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
GDAY MATE, Always happy to welcome aboard antha aussie. Very Nice tank mate I noticed that your tank is very tall but not so long, what are the dimenssion? The fish you have in mind are all very good choices for a beginner. I'm thinking you might have a few 2 many though your tank will most likely cope with the stocking you have in mind but u are very close to being over stocked. and depending on what you have in mind for decoration & filtration I fear you might run into trouble being a newbie and all... Just to explain what I mean about decoration...... For example a empty tank holds a lot more water than the same sized tank with a large amount of gravel and say a Big Rock as a center peice as this takes up space therefore lowering your aquaurium volume. I recommend you start off slow a good rule is one fish type at a time not all at once you will shock your tank even if it has been thourgh its cycle.... Also can I throw a suggestion your way, Ever thought about Cichlid tank? you have just the right tank for it. BEST OF LUCK REMEBER ANY PROBLEMS GET STRAIGHT ON HERE AND GET SOME ADVISE... THE ONLY DUMB QUESTION IS THE ONE YOU DONT ASK

lanlesnee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looks like your off to a great start! The tank looks great. Don't worry about it being cloudy, I have yet to see one that's not when first set up.

I understand the whole mix messages on the Angels. I have fish that I've read shouldn't be keep together but have not had one single problem in 2 years plus with them. I'd just be prepared with a back up plan.

IMO the higher stock the more maintaince you will have. In other words a 65 with a couple of angels is going to stay clean and have less maintaince (gravel vac, filter changes, water changes etc) than one with 5 or 6 angels. Just may want to keep this in mind with stocking.

Also if it was me I wouldn't fully stock right at the beginning. Your going to see different types of fish you didn't know were out there and want to get them. Which might be a problem is you already have a full tank. But than again that's a good excuse to buy another tank.

Shock

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Wow, where did you get that piece of DW? It's beautiful!

Welcome to FL by the way :waves:

OP
L

lockstock

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Shock said:
Wow, where did you get that piece of DW? It's beautiful!

Welcome to FL by the way :waves:
I have a really good LFS right around the corner from me. They stock some awesome pieces of DW as well as a vast selection of fish. Always good to have the best fish shop in the city right around the corner.

claudicles

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hey lockstock, which city are you in?

And what is the fish shop? I have an ulterior motive. I always like to check out new fish shops so if it anywhere near Sydney, I am there. ;D

FriendsNotFood

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
HI there!
Grats on the tank Looking good!

My advice is.... gravel vacs will be fun with that many cories and the bn. I have this theory that they don't eat anything, they just shred it so that it falls into the gravel and means you have to clean a lot. At least your gravel is finer than mine. My cories love to bury their food in my gravel and make me clean it out >:| They'll actually eat and send food flying, then shovel their heads in the gravel just to make sure the excess food sifts down further.

If you get neon tetras, yes the Angel's are likely to eat them if they get big enough. I've noticed Cardinal tetras grow larger than neons, and are even prettier. But we are talking about pretty big Angel's here. Bigger than the ones you can normally buy at a LFS so I wouldn't worry too much until they're bread plates. (though mine does have a couple ridiculously expesive Angel's the size of my hand...)

The Angel's may nip the guppies, really depends. I'd say get baby Angel's, and adult guppies and let the Angel's grow up used to them. Also helps if you're getting a male and female, they're more likely to pair off and get along if you start them out young

And yeah, Angel's and gourami's have been known to fight before. But it's another "depends". If you score a gouramI like mine? Would be fine. I think my gouramI is more closely related to a chicken or road runner than a fish. Swims ridiculously fast, stops, starts, stops, OMG DEER IN HEADLIGHT! then the crazy road runner dash to a cave. I don't think any fish would ever catch him to be able to start a fight.

OP
L

lockstock

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the info Lilwystynyra, hopefully I'll pick up some pretty placid angels and gourami. While on the topic of Angels, I only just worked out the other day that there were veiltail angel fish. They look so awesome compared to the normal angels.

We've modified our fish list a little bit since posting. Going to take out the bandit corys and have one or two Corydoras SterbaI instead.

claudicles: Sorry mate, I'm from Adelaide. You'll probably find (from what I've been told by friends) that our "best fish shop" is like a mid range shop in Sydney/Melbourne. Either way, I'm still really happy to have a decent shop around the corner. Makes shopping for fish and fish related items all that easier.

tomcat

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Congrats. If you're going to have one, you're better off with a decent sized tank like you have rather than a small one. Hope you enjoy it, tanks are great and very relaxing. . Take good care of your fish. Do frequent partial water changes...

claudicles

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
lockstock said:
claudicles: Sorry mate, I'm from Adelaide. You'll probably find (from what I've been told by friends) that our "best fish shop" is like a mid range shop in Sydney/Melbourne. Either way, I'm still really happy to have a decent shop around the corner. Makes shopping for fish and fish related items all that easier.
Ah well. It was worth a try. If it makes you feel any better, while I have good access to fish shops, I haven't found a single one that I would consider a one stop source for everything. The service is OK but n ot great too. there are disadvantages to the big smoke :-\

bubblynutter

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Welcome!
I have two AquaOne tanks, and they are great! Just make sure you keep the filter pads rinsed well, because as they get clogged up, they have a tendency to spit water back towards the power cables and the water drips down OUT OF YOUR TANK and onto your floor. I found that out the hard way - with both of the tanks...

Great looking set-up, and glad to see a newbie who researches before starting! Congrats.

New Threads