My first aquarium (65Gal) 65 Gallon Tank 

lockstock

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
After reading lots of stuff online in the past in relation to aquarium keeping I thought I would start a journal for my new aquarium that I have been planning for several months.

I haven't kept an aquarium before but it's something that I'm really looking forward to getting into. My girlfriend is really getting into it also and is already planning what fish we're going to get.

After lots of planning and research I've recently purchased all the items needed to get started on a 65 gallon freshwater, planted, community aquarium.

So far I have the following:
-Aqua One 980T (245L/65Gal).
-Eheim Jager 200W heater.
-50kg of 3mm black pebbles.
-Master test kit (ammonia, pH, high pH, nitrite, nitrate tests).
-Big bottle of Prime.
-XL piece of driftwood (going to be the centerpiece of the tank when completed).

At the moment we're in the process of cleaning the substrate. The shop we bought it from had it in very breathable bags in an outdoor warehouse area and are fairly dusty/dirty. We're using some pasta drainers and mixing bowls to clean all of it but 50kg of pebbles is taking us awhile to work though. When writing this we're about half way through, doing it on and off after work each night.

Once the substrate is cleaned we're going to put in the driftwood, fill the tank up with water and start cycling. Planning on getting some pure ammonia from the shops to do a fish-less cycle and found a fairly good guide at ().

Not sure at this point if we'll put in plants before or after the process. When reading information online people say that live plants help when using fish to cycle but nothing when doing a fish-less cycle. I'd be interested in hearing peoples opinions on this.

Once cycled we are considering the following list of fish:
2x Male Guppy (2 Inches each)
1x Bristlenose catfish (5 Inches each)
2x Angelfish (5 Inches each)
10x Cardinal Tetras (1 Inch each)
1x Siamese Flying Fox Shark (6 inches each) (Siamese Algae Eater)
1x Pearl Gourami (5 inches each)
3x Bandit Cory (2 inches each)

Possibly going to go without the Bandits and have an extra Bristlenose, maybe an albino Bristlenose for something different.

Now this gives us a total of 46" of fish for a 65 gallon tank. I'm curious to see whether the tank is going to be overcrowded with this much but going by other websites people seem to have success with 1" per 1Gal calculations for tank capacity.

Attached a couple before pictures. Sorry for the bad quality photos, they're just off my iPhone.

Attachments

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello LockStock and Welcome to Fish Lore!

The tank looks nice and I hope you have fun setting it all up.

Along with the 1" per gallon guide line, please take into consideration the amount of waste that some fish produce. Some produce more than others. the larger the fish the more waste they seem to produce (in most cases) Pleco's are huge waste producers, goldfish, just to name a couple.

Personally I like the 1" per gallon guide for small fish and small tanks. For my 265g tank with large fish and the type of fish that I have I use the guide of 1 fish per every 10 gallons of water. (this may vary too depending on the type of fish one may stock)

I guess what I'm saying is don't depend on the 1" guide for every situation. Remember that your fish need room to swim.

Please keep us posted. We love photos! hoto: I'm sure you'll get more responses on your stocking list.

I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

One more thing,

If you would like to have your own Blog set up (if you haven't done this already) send an email to Mike support@fishlore.com
and he'll set one up for you. Give him a couple of days to respond.

For now I'm going to move this thread to the Welcome to Fish Lore section of the forum. Once your blog is set up, any of the moderators will be glad to move your thread/threads to your blog for you.

You can also send MIKE a Visitor Message by clicking here:

Thanks!
Ken

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Welcome lockstock, the tank looks great already! I got a blog from Mike, and it's great for documenting things that happen for future reference, good to keep track of what stock you had when... I find it quite handy!

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks great.

Try and introduce you stock from least aggressive/territorial to most. Territorial fish will get a long better with your community if they are the last to be introduced.

The longer they have to establish their territory, the more they will defend it, but if they are introduced last, other fish will have established their territory first, meaning the 'new kid' has to just get along.

So, if it were me, based on my experience, I would introduce the bristlenose, tetras, guppies initially. I would leave the angels and gouramis till last. Gouramis have been known to be somewhat aggressive, and Angels, being cichlids, can be quite territorial and will actively defend, especially when breeding.

You might want to double check the compatibilities on
aqadvisor is a great guide to help you stock your tank, it is not the gospel, but awesome in figuring out filtration and compatibility.

jab91864

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm just offering a welcome to the forum. I'm new so of no value to help you along the way. Like the tank plan and will be watching to see it all come together.

ryanr.... great website, wish I'd found it a bit sooner!!!

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome aboard! Good to see you're well prepared going into this hobby. You'll find this forum very helpful, I'm sure.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!!

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
welcome to fishlore

jeniferdwn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
great piece of driftwood! Welcome to FL!

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

new_sw_gurl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Looks like it's going to be beautiful! Can't wait to see pictures when it's set up!!

RuthieM

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Beautiful setup you hav.
I don't know if your filter is the hang on the back kind, but if it is, don't forget to leave room between the tank and the wall for the filter. I made the mistake of not doing so and had to empty my aquarium, move it out and start over. (not so fun).

nerite0479

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Welcome to Fish Lore!I hope you enjoy setting up your tank!

marina3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to FL!!! Can't wait to see the end result!!!

GBR.Moorrreeee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hey, welcome to fishlore. Great setup, just wondering are you getting a Siamese algae Eater or a Flying Fox? They're 2 different fish and the flying fox won't eat that much algae. Also, if you are getting a SAE, make sure its a true SAE, and not a Flying Fox or Chinese Algae eater. And just my opinion, but I would leave out the pleco unless its just for viewing plesure. An SAE will eat any algae and keep your tank clean a 100% of the time. Just my opinion. Welcome to Fishlore.

lockstock

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks to everyone for all of the welcome messages. I was surprised to see so many in just 24 hours.

aquarist48 said:
Hello LockStock and Welcome to Fish Lore!

The tank looks nice and I hope you have fun setting it all up.

Along with the 1" per gallon guide line, please take into consideration the amount of waste that some fish produce. Some produce more than others. the larger the fish the more waste they seem to produce (in most cases) Pleco's are huge waste producers, goldfish, just to name a couple.

Personally I like the 1" per gallon guide for small fish and small tanks. For my 265g tank with large fish and the type of fish that I have I use the guide of 1 fish per every 10 gallons of water. (this may vary too depending on the type of fish one may stock)

I guess what I'm saying is don't depend on the 1" guide for every situation. Remember that your fish need room to swim.

Please keep us posted. We love photos! hoto: I'm sure you'll get more responses on your stocking list.

I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

One more thing,

If you would like to have your own Blog set up (if you haven't done this already) send an email to Mike support@fishlore.com
and he'll set one up for you. Give him a couple of days to respond.

For now I'm going to move this thread to the Welcome to Fish Lore section of the forum. Once your blog is set up, any of the moderators will be glad to move your thread/threads to your blog for you.

You can also send MIKE a Visitor Message by clicking here:

Thanks!
Ken
Thanks for this, I've emailed Mike and I'm hoping to get a blog set up to update how the tanks going. Its fun to share the hobby with others and the information from subject matter experts online is amazing.

ryanr said:
Looks great.

Try and introduce you stock from least aggressive/territorial to most. Territorial fish will get a long better with your community if they are the last to be introduced.

The longer they have to establish their territory, the more they will defend it, but if they are introduced last, other fish will have established their territory first, meaning the 'new kid' has to just get along.

So, if it were me, based on my experience, I would introduce the bristlenose, tetras, guppies initially. I would leave the angels and gouramis till last. Gouramis have been known to be somewhat aggressive, and Angels, being cichlids, can be quite territorial and will actively defend, especially when breeding.

You might want to double check the compatibilities on
aqadvisor is a great guide to help you stock your tank, it is not the gospel, but awesome in figuring out filtration and compatibility.
Thanks for the website, I'm checking out the information now. Also, really helpful advise with how to generally add fish to the tank. I had similar thoughts on introducing fish to the tank and will definitely leave the angelfish and gourami till last.

RuthieM said:
Beautiful setup you hav.
I don't know if your filter is the hang on the back kind, but if it is, don't forget to leave room between the tank and the wall for the filter. I made the mistake of not doing so and had to empty my aquarium, move it out and start over. (not so fun).
The 980T has a built in drip filter in the hood so it's all good. Depending on how this filter goes with the tank I may consider upgrading this to an external (canister?) filter but I think these can just sit on the ground or in the cabinet under the tank.

GBR.Moorrreeee said:
Hey, welcome to fishlore. Great setup, just wondering are you getting a Siamese algae Eater or a Flying Fox? They're 2 different fish and the flying fox won't eat that much algae. Also, if you are getting a SAE, make sure its a true SAE, and not a Flying Fox or Chinese Algae eater. And just my opinion, but I would leave out the pleco unless its just for viewing plesure. An SAE will eat any algae and keep your tank clean a 100% of the time. Just my opinion. Welcome to Fishlore.
I remember reading something about this back when we were looking at what fish to get. We were going to get one of the Siamese Algae Eaters. I'll make sure I read up on the differances before we purchase one to ensure we get the SAE and not the the Flying Fox or Chinese Algae Eater.

We were thinking about getting the bristlenose catfish/pleco for looks and for algae eating so we'll probably just limit that to one seeing as the SAE will keep the tank nice and clean. Thanks for the info.

319.jpg

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi lock stock. Welcome from another Aussie. I have one of the 620T Aqua ones and I'd at least add a pump and air stone. The built in filter doesn't generate much water movement. I like your stocking plan.

moerlen

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hi lock stock, welcome to fish lore. i have a one of the 850 ar aqua ones it is great , i like your idea for stocking the tank, though i think the angels will end being the gang running the tank, and will possibly enjoy your cardenals when they grow up.i would only add one angel to give him less power.
This is my opinion, there's a lot of people here with a lot more experience and maybe they can give you a better advice.

lockstock

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
moerlen said:
hi lock stock, welcome to fish lore. i have a one of the 850 ar aqua ones it is great , i like your idea for stocking the tank, though i think the angels will end being the gang running the tank, and will possibly enjoy your cardenals when they grow up.i would only add one angel to give him less power.
This is my opinion, there's a lot of people here with a lot more experience and maybe they can give you a better advice.
I've been reading some stuff about the angelfish today because I'm a little concerned about their potential aggressive nature. Everyone says different things so I'm not really sure what to think and I guess it'll have to come down to luck.

I've read that they potentially will fin nip the guppies and eat the cardinals when they get bigger.

See how we go I guess. Anyway, update on the tank, finally finished cleaning all the substrate and we've started planting as well. All we have to do is cycle it and we're on our way.

(note: water was a little murky at the beginning, when I took the attached photo, due to the substrate not being very easy to clean but the filter seems to be clearing up the tank very nicely)

Attachments

lorabell

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Very very nice!!!!!! I love the DW...gonna be a pretty one!!!!!!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads