My First And Very Diy Reef Tank Build

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Setup' started by AZL, Jul 4, 2019.

1. AZL

AZLValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +63
    Experience:
    Just started
    I'm trying to not feel too smug until I go back tomorrow and (hopefully) find a dry floor but I'm well pleased it's up and running. The only issue I've found is the weir isn't water tight. It doesn't seem to have affected the system flow but I realise it will likely render the safety feature of the weir preventing the whole tank from draining in the system fails obsolete. As draining and re-siliconing isn't practical any thoughts on using reef putty along the joins or other suggestions? The missing corner will be in place before fish go in of course! 65842978_10161875737635175_8684102097857150976_o.65924876_10161875738505175_2639178784015646720_o.

2. Heron

HeronValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +193
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Is it a glass or acrylic weir? Can you get one side of the leak dry in order to seal it? . I make my own tanks and filters usually from acrylic although I sometimes use glass for parts like lids because acrylic sheets warp. I have tried putty for small repairs but although it can cure underwater it doesn't give that watertight a seal and tends to fail after a short time. If you don't have any livestock in it yet the best solution is to drain enough water as you need to get to the leak, store the water ( it you don't have enough buckets store it in a clean bathtub ) seal with aquarium grade silicone or if acrylic you could use Weldon 16 although silicon is fine for acrylic too. Then replace the water. Make sure you give the bathtub a very good rinse to remove any trace of cleaning product.

3. OP
    OP
    AZL

AZLValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +63
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thank you, sorted now although the overflow is making more noise than it was lol it was pretty much silent before I fiddled. I used acrylic for the weir, repair done with silicon that's usable under water and safe for livestock. I had already cycled with the live rock and seawater in the previous tank and transferred over so I put a couple of turbo snails and a hermit in today and will keep cycling another couple of weeks before any fish go in :)

Become a Fishlore Member