My First 60 Gallon Tank Update

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Ryan P, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Ryan P

Ryan P Valued Member Member

Hi fellow Fishloreans!

Being very new to the hobby has been nerve wrecking, surprising, disappointing, exciting but over all has been a great learning experience for me and my wife. We've been in the hobby for over 2 months only but already learned a lot from here and local clubs. I personally thought Fish-keeping was boring before because I thought all you need to do is buy a tank, put the fish in, feed them and clean it once a while. Ohh boy that was wrong LOL. Adding the fun part of planted tanks really got my attention. So 2 months back we decided to get a tank and just wanted to share the progress!

This was taken after I first filled up the tank

A month after Cycling and adding my community.
    also where I had to learn how to be more patient after cycling I battled with Diatoms though I was doing something wrong and didn't know it was part of setting up a new tank.

Another month have passed and I started having BBA issues. Tried my pest to prevent it spread.
    Lost some critters along the way. Nerite snail and Bamboo Shrimp. Since I tried the excel method.
    My Amanos are luckily hardy than I expected and didn't mind the overdose of excel.
    This month also we've lost our Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami, and I'm postive that it was the DGD/Iridovirus he had to begin with Just glad he didn't suffer for long.

And this is most recent update. 2 Months and 3 Days after the whole thing began.

I plan to keep updating this thread on all the good and bad things I will experience to maybe help other people too. I know this is just the start, and already getting the feeling I'll have MTS soon. Just convincing my wife is the hard part LOL.

Feel free to leave comments or suggestions or even criticism.

Have a good day!! :)

2. Pictusboss

Pictusboss Valued Member Member

Awesome!! looks really good. maybe add some sort of plecostomus and maybe some cories or khuli loaches.

3. OP
    OP
    Ryan P

There's 14 corydoras trilineatus in there lol, it was early in the morning when I took the pics, but in the afternoon almost when the light is going off they would start showing up and do their dance lol

4. Frozen One

Frozen One Valued Member Member

The tank looks amazing Mr. P! I really like the scaping skills you have. Also sorry for your losses, sometimes it happens lol. But wins and losses come with being bosses. Haha

5. OP
    OP
    Ryan P

Thank you! Still lots to learn, my plants seems like they're still all over the place. and lots of things I also wanted to change if given a chance. But I guess everything in life is like that LOL.

Agree and I always make sure to learn from my losses and mistakes. Cheers!

6. Susiefoo

Susiefoo Well Known Member Member

Looks brilliant! What are the yellow/orange fish?

7. OP
    OP
    Ryan P

Thank you! They're silver tip tetras and I love them!

8. OP
    OP
    Ryan P

Some of my precious inhabitants :)

Pair of GBR

Kohaku Swordtail

Flying Corydoras Trilineatus LOL

Apistogramma Cacatuoides Orange Flash. I have 2 but Either they haven't paired yet or I got a hider male.

Hope to share more pics in the future. Cheers!

9. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

Looks great, thanks for sharing.

10. OP
    OP
    Ryan P

Thank you! :)

11. R

RangersWillReturn Valued Member Member

Looks well good. Will keep up with the thread

12. r

rathersmart New Member Member

gorgeous tank man!

13. OP
    OP
    Ryan P

thank you sir!

14. jmaldo

jmaldo Well Known Member Member

:emoji_thumbsup:Winner!
    I really enjoy seeing progression pics. Had you not mentioned the age of the tank, I would have guessed at the very least 6 months. Impressive start. I would give it some time before making any changes. I fiddled with mine too often in the beginning.
    Learning all the time.
    Good Luck.

15. OP
    OP
    Ryan P

Thank you sir!
    Ohh believe me the temptation to change things around is real. Being my only tank, I'd say I'm always itchy to change something or add something LOL. For the past 2 months I fiddled around a lot nothing major though just wavemakers HOB etc.
    I'll keep updating my progress here :)

16. OP
    OP
    Ryan P

3rd Month Update. Enjoy :)

20180516_232522.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  17. Brokedowndancer

Brokedowndancer New Member Member

Beautiful tank!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice