Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks. Much appreciated.

AquaLady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Why is my salousi so colorless? uploadfromtaptalk1392709300107.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1392709310877.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1392709338268.jpg

Greececonvict003

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tropheus duboisi is from Lake Tanganyika, the other fish are from lake malawi and are strictly hervivores. Nice tank, there not a lot of people into Africans cichlid in this forum. Do you have another pic of the salousi? Also a lot people keep demasoni cichlid in species only tank they are agressive for there size.

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Forgot to say the albino one is a albino red zebra, I have one just like yours.

ralph113

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Roxie Brookshire said:
Your fish are so pretty. Cichlids scare me cause I worry they would be hard to take care of. Very impressive.
theyre not actually really hard to take care of. just with the right stock alot of hiding place, sand (so they can dig the out of it and make the landscape more natural.) and change water once a week.. n ur good to go ;P

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ralph113 said:
theyre not actually really hard to take care of. just with the right stock alot of hiding place, sand (so they can dig the out of it and make the landscape more natural.) and change water once a week.. n ur good to go ;P
You can use sand or gravel. I use gravel and they still dig it up, but sand is prefer that's how there natural habitat is.

AquaLady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I also noticed they are very few cichlid keepers on this forum. That's why I took it upon my self to post pics to see what you guys are missing!
I gave the duboisi to a friend because I read that they need a bit of meat in their diet. The demasoni are pretty chill in my tank. When they act up, the boss, which is a powder blue socolofi will interfere and chase the trouble making fish in the corner for time out. They're so fun to watch.
I sooo don't like the lighting in the tank. It bring a out all the reds of the fish but hinders the rest. Plus its so dark and will cease algae growth.
I don't have anymore pics of the salousi on the device I'm using to write this post. So soon I should take more pics and put them up.

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
AquaLady said:
I also noticed they are very few cichlid keepers on this forum. That's why I took it upon my self to post pics to see what you guys are missing!
I gave the duboisi to a friend because I read that they need a bit of meat in their diet. The demasoni are pretty chill in my tank. When they act up, the boss, which is a powder blue socolofi will interfere and chase the trouble making fish in the corner for time out. They're so fun to watch.
I sooo don't like the lighting in the tank. It bring a out all the reds of the fish but hinders the rest. Plus its so dark and will cease algae growth.
I don't have anymore pics of the salousi on the device I'm using to write this post. So soon I should take more pics and put them up.
We're did you read that duboisi need meat in their diet,there the one that love almost 100% vegetation not meat is bad for them if you feed more then needed readhttp://www.aquaticcommunity.com/tropheus/duboisi-maswa.php under feeding section. As for the lighting what do you have t8,t5 LEDs. I have strong light on my tank it encourages algae which my fish love picking at.

Fishy Friends

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
AquaLady said:

Hi AquaLady! Your tank & fish are beautiful!
LOL....I was afraid of keeping cichlids thanks to two of my male co-workers always talking about keeping the aggressive ones & the fighting. I cannot stand the thought of injuries or worse.
However...both my husband & myself love the colors & variety & know it is the closest thing to saltwater we will ever have. We had Angels & knew they were fine in a community tank. Then we bought three baby gold severums & LFS did not have them iN Cichlid part of store - so later learned we may be on our way to a tank as it turned out☺
Knew we needed a larger tank - got a 180 gal for Christmas & just got everything together & began cycling the tank this morning. So very soon there will a tank in Virginia - thanks for the pictures

Ivoryangel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Those are very beautiful. Good job

Beelzebubbles

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Love the hard scape! And those fish are so vibrant and colourful. I love it

ralph113

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
man those amount of rocks scares me lol..... what if the bottom went kaput. all will break lose.

AquaLady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Lol the rocks weight displaces the water and I have enough sand to cushion any falls. Rocks in this tank fell many times, well the smaller ones anyway.
When I get more experienced with keeping duboisi, I'll get them again. They dont hold their own against the fish I have so the move was best for them.
The light I have is a cheap shop light I had laying around the house since my good light died.
Keeping cichlids is easy as long as you do your research. This is my first time ever keeping cichlids and so far so good. Had a few casualties due to new tank syndrome.
I thank and appreciate everyone's advice and compliments. Believe it or not, it means something to me. It helps me strive to be better at fish keeping.
Here's some more pics...

AquaLady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
uploadfromtaptalk1393396680586.jpg
Too bad his back was turned. I kept this pic to show the blue in the fins.

uploadfromtaptalk1393396779304.jpg

ralph113

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i recommend though... if you want some plants, try java ferns and put them a bit on the top or mid height of the tank, they wont rip it off xP did some experiment and my java fern is still alive.

AquaLady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for the suggestion. Knowing my gluttonous fish they will most likely try and try again. But i'll give it a shot.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom