My First 55 Gallon African Cichlid Tank

AquaLady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Happy New year everyone. What do you guys think of my fishies, stocking and scape? I'm honestly tired of these rocks and want some bigger ones lol. Let's see if I got the name of these fish right...

Duboisi (I don't think he's an African Cichlid)

Yellow Lab (No black marking on dorsal fin?)

Demasoni

Kenyis

Red Zebra (with unknow albino cichlid)

Powder Blue Socolofi

Yellow Tail Acei

Tank Shot

AshWolFF

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm not very knowledgeable on cichlids. It looks really well set up and I love the rocks. Where did you get them all from?

All I know is be very, very careful with that Duboisi and Red Zebra those guys are like club bouncers. My father owns his own 100 gallon cichlid tank that he loves very much but he had a trio of Red Zebras and they are...a bit feisty.

The Powder Blue's are very attractive though.

foxhill2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Very nice collection of Cichlids. I had a blue cobalt for about 9 years. Really cool fish, he loved peas .
Good luck with them. How long have you had them?

AquaLady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks. I got all the rocks from my uncle's landscaping spot. They were 5 thick sheets broken up.
So far the red zebra is laid back and the demasoni chases the biggest fish in there which are the duboisi and the albino.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Beautiful fish and tank! Nice job! Thanks for sharing with us and please keep us updated.

Any particular reason that the tank is not full? Just curious.

Ken

AquaLady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks Ken. Much appreciated. The tank isn't full yet because I don't have adequate filtration yet. I only have 2 submersible filters, a Fluval 2 plus and a Aquaclear AC40. I'm searching for a good priced canister under $100. I'm leaning toward the eBay SunSun filter with 4 trays and an Emperor 400.

Timz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
nice tank there. i dunno if you guys have heard of RS ELECTRICALS. They got a canister filter which is about 5000 INR(1$=~65 INDIAN RUPEES). So that would be less than 100$.

AquaLady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
To answer your question foxhill, I had them since December 12th. I want to get more so bad,but I need a filter first. I'm looking into the filter mentioned above.

Red Fred

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Love the tank. I've had a number of cichlids including most on this list . But I never managed to get my hands on a duboisi. I like the setup of rocks. I bought a setup just like that last year from an elderly gentleman. When we emptied the tank we found a handful of babies. Most I think we're eaten by the much bigger fish but my brother has the one that's made it with his eel. But beautiful fish. Like the setup

FishNewbie43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nice tank, wish i could make my 55 gallons a Chiclid tank but i have no idea where to buy or get the rock and which rock to use so it won't break down and cloud the water.

Mesa

Reaction score
Ya don't have to worry about the duboisi, its the demasoni that will terrorize that tank. They are small but are the meanest , tuffest little fish I've ever kept

AquaLady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FishNewbie43 said:
Nice tank, wish i could make my 55 gallons a Chiclid tank but i have no idea where to buy or get the rock and which rock to use so it won't break down and cloud the water.
Thanks guys. Everyone that comes over now are so amazed by this tank. I don't see why lol. My other poor tanks get ignored and I always have to point them out.
I got rocks mostly from around the way and a landscaping store. I even seen some in the home depot garden section. The rocks will cloud the water at first. I couldn't even see when I was scaping the tank! Between the sand and the rocks or looked like a giant milk tank. It took 2 days for everything to settle and clear up. A good rock to use is limestone as it will keep the Ph, kh and gh values to where you want it.

gilpi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Roxie Brookshire said:
Your fish are so pretty. Cichlids scare me cause I worry they would be hard to take care of. Very impressive.
Cichlids are actually not hard to keep at all, they are very hardy fish.
With Africans you need a few of them in a tank to sort of disperse agression and some hiding spots.. As AquaLady, I also had a 55 gallon with 14 Africans for 2 years but eventually had to sell them since they grew a bit too large for the tank. They can grow anywhere from 4 to 6 inches depending on the species. I might do it all over again since they are very colorful and active fish.

gilpi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice fish. I love Africans, I might go for another tank of them soon. You might have to weed out some of the troublemakers as they grow but on the other hand you may not have any issues with aggression as long as you have a nice variety.

buzz4520

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice looking tank and fish ! Keep a close watch on your Demasoni, even though they are a small little fish, they are very mean buggers. I had one before that killed a fish that was 3x it size. Then I had found out that the Demasoni should be in groups of 10+, we decided to rehome him, didn't have room in tank for more of them.

AquaLady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I rescaped the tank today. Well I was kinda forced to lol. When I was maintaining my filter, I knocked the rocks over and kept them like that. Added some smaller ones to stick out of the sand. Also got some new fish, so I guess the random scape came in handy.
The Red zebra and powder blues are huge. They are developing egg spots and getting the puffy girth.

New scape

Side shot after PWC

New salousi

New Red zebra with blue specks on fins

Acei coloring up nicely

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom