My firemouth is soft

1. d

dright21 Valued Member Member

I have a 1.5" Firemouth idk if it is a Male or Female but it has been being the victim of abuse in my 55 Gallon tank and I even removed the Male Convict then he Female Convict started picking on it so now the Pair is in its own 30 Gallon. In my 55 now I have

3" Male Salvini
    3 Tiger Barbs (Their Days Are Numbered, started with 9)
    1" Female Pink Con
    3" Featherfin
    1 Platy
    2" Female Blood Parrot

It just doesnt make sense the Firemouth runs hides even the Platy spooks him. So I removed it so it can grow its fins and tail back but he is in a 10 Gallon to recover I know the Firemouth cant live in there what else can I do. Should I beef it up in the 30 gallon and then try to reintroduce it or just keep it in the 10 until I can upgrade in a few Months. I dont want to kill the fish but I want it to healthy.

2. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Hi,

Your current tank is seriously overstocked right now. The reason that he is being beat up is because he is the new kid on the block. Basically everyone has territories set up and he doesn't have one so all the current fish see him as a threat. I would not suggest trying to reintroduce him. Personally, I think you should return him or set up a tank all for the Firemouth.

Jonathan

3. OP
    OP
    d

I agree it does seem overstocked but I have 3 Cichlids in there all under 3" the 3 Barbs are not intended to last longer and if they do I will return them and the Platy. With the fish at there current sizes the tank is only 40% stocked according to AqAdvisor.com. I am just trying to figure out how to make the Firemouth stick up for itself more before I get a bigger tank and introduce it again and it not be able to hold its own. I was looking into a 125 gallon tank but if it cant hold its own then I will have to remove it from the equation.

4. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Thing I'm looking at here is hes only 1.5". What do you expect? That it's big enough to stick up for itself with territorial 3" Convicts? :;sh

AqAdvisor shouldn't be taken seriously.

:)

5. OP
    OP
    d

There was only one 3" Con and it was a Male and I moved him and the 2" female to a 30 Breeder to spawn. After I moved them there was 3 cichlids in the tank and the Blood Parrot although it would like to be aggressive cant because its mouth barely opens. The Salvini which is 3" def put a hurt on the Firemouth but they stayed away from each other unless it was time to eat and thats when the fights would start. The Female Pink Con is 1" and she held her own during everything no fins missing and she goes wherever she wants freely. It doesnt make much sense to me but since I dont know the sex of the Firemouth that also may have something to do with the aggression.

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Makes sense to me :;dk The fish is a baby - I don't know what you expect...... Firemouths aren't that tough.

7. OP
    OP
    d

I thought since Firemouths are Cichlids they would be semi Aggressive and at least be able to hold its own like the Convict baby did. Idk now I have to figure some things out and definitely get a new tank.

8. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

When my female convict was the size of the end of my pinky, she ruled the 75 gallon aggressive non cichlid african tank in which she somehow survived being eaten as a fry, so I put her in the semi aggressive 55 with a mated pair of chanchito cichlids - the male is a full 6 inches and the female 4 - and she ruled that tank too. Convicts are nasty fish, even when small.

9. OP
    OP
    d

Well darn, I guess Im just going to have to amke new arrasngemnts

10. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with Jaysee. Convicts aren't named that just because of their stripes ;D.