My firebellies!

Marc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone else ever kept these? Definitely enjoyable and they have quite the coloration! I have 5 right now sitting in a 20 gallon that's about 40% land, 60% water.

There is a Duetto 50 filter in the water and it's all real live moss from my yard (complete with quite the ensemble of slugs, worms, and other lil' critters...). I rubberbanded filter floss on top of the filter so the moss could take root in it and not end up dislodged if I clean.

13.jpg

Wide view of the front of the tank

14.jpg

One of the frogs hanging out near the water

15.jpg

Another frog (and a half) just near the water's edge. He's right near the 'pool' I made.

These pictures are from about 100 that I took. I was lucky they came out as well as they did with my horrible camera

1.gif

I have moss covering both the filter and rock in the middle of the water as an island. The pool in the middle of the land is very shallow and provides a nice little spot for them to get wet but not have to swim.

Heck, if the toads like it anywhere near as much as I do, it's a great new home.

I also have 2 Honey Gourami in the water right now and will be adding another 2 once I'm sure they'll be perfectly fine in there.

Marc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks! It took me months to finally get it set-up, so it'd better be worth the wait! ;D

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That's a beautiful tank and very cool frogs! They're scary ... but nevertheless cool, lol. I wouldn't touch a frog bigger than a quarter (I only held tiny frogs so far). Your frogs look like they're some poisonous types! I know they're cool ... but I just would be so afraid to touch a fluorescent green or red toad! Do they bite? Are they poisonous? I have watched a TV program once about frogs (cannot remember their name) that are extremely poisonous.

P.S. What is that plant growing in your substrate. Is that some kind of a moss?

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Marc said:
I also have 2 Honey Gourami in the water right now and will be adding another 2 once I'm sure they'll be perfectly fine in there.
I didn't know you could keep fish in a tank with frogs. :-\ ???

Gwenz

Marc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It's moss that I pulled from my backyard. I had originally bought dried moss but it started rotting after a day. It's NOT fun to have an entire room smell like swamp.

You can keep fish with them as long as the water is filtered and the frogs don't see them as food. They also need to be small enough to fit - if it's shallow, you're pretty much limited to Gourami. They made no attempt to eat my Honey Gourami but they will eat feeder guppies - so if you do it you need to watch carefully as it's not exactly comfortable for the fish to be bitten by a toad. It may not be able to eat it but Firebellies can and probably will try to eat anything that moves.

Oh, and yes, they're poisonous. They secrete a mild toxin from their skin, but it's only a mild irritant and most people aren't affected by it unless they rub it in their eyes, mouth, etc. They have the red bellies to show that fact, you caught it dead on Green is for camouflage, red is a warning sign. It's really a wonderful trait of these creatures.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well, they certainly look what they are! You're not keeping any fish with them, are you!?

Marc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I had my Honey Gouramis in there for a day but removed them because it wasn't fully cycled. As long as the water is filtered they're fine, and they're going right back in once it's done.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom