My Filters Stopped Working!

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Betta mommy, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Betta mommy

Betta mommyValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +93
    Experience:
    2 years
    I unplugged my 3 of my filters because I was changing the plugs they were in so I don't have cords running across the room and I went to plug them back in and they're running but no longer sucking up water. Two are a top fin 20 power filter, one is a marine land one its the bio wheel one, I can't remember the other details. So now I have a 30 gal with no filters and a 10 gal with no filter. I don't know what to do!!! HELP!!!!!

I cleaned the impeller and they're still not sucking up water.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2017
  2. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,499
    Experience:
    2 years
    I had this problem when I had a Top Fin Power Filter 75. It turns out that the water level was too low. I raised it up to the minimum water level and never really have this problem again. Though sometimes, I have to wait a few minutes for it to suck water after plugging, poor producct quality is to blame.

3. OP
    OP
    Betta mommy

Ratings:
    +93
    Experience:
    2 years
    I raised the water level ,all the top fin 20 is doing now is just making loud noises. I got my marine land bio wheel filter running again and stuck that in my 30 gal, the impeller was a little dirty. I had to take the filter from my 5 gal and put it in my 10gal and the filter from my 3 gal into my 5 gal. thankfully I was already moving the Betta from the 3 gal into the 30, so, im hope this works for now until I'm able to get a new 20 gal filter to put with the other one in the 30. oh my goodness so many numbers haha!

4. R3dArrow

R3dArrowNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +18
    Experience:
    Just started
    My top fin 20 did exactly that when I plugged it in for the first time. I fixed it by taking the motor and spinning it manually. That worked for me, maybe your motor just got a little debris in it.

5. Smash Ogre

Smash OgreNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +13
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Sounds like the filters aren't priming, you've probably got a slug of air in the intake tube. Take a big cup of tank water and slowly pour it into the filter's reservoir with the filter plugged in. This should help siphon water from the tank up through the intake and into the impeller housing to get it running again.

6. OP
    OP
    Betta mommy

Ratings:
    +93
    Experience:
    2 years
    I got one of my top fin 20's running. As for the other one, the whole motor part isn't making the impeller spin. So I'm just going to get a new one.

7. R3dArrow

R3dArrowNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +18
    Experience:
    Just started
    At least you got one working! It really stinks when something works forever and then something changes and it stops lol.