My filter is leaking!

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
This morning my daughter drew my attention to some water leaking out from underneath the 46 gallon that I just set up yesterday. My first thought was leaking seam since the tank had been sitting up for a while. I was devastated at the thought of having to empty it after just filling it and starting the cycle with ammonia yesterday. Thankfully, it's not the tank leaking. It's the filter. I have a Tetra 60 HOB on it. And, OF COURSE, I just bought a 12 pack of filters for it and used ONE out of the box. So do I just go with the same one as replacement (I did like it before. Worked great. Quiet. I just think it's time in the attic done something to it)? Or do I try something different? I def don't want canister. I don't have the set up for one. Has to be HOB.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I don't know about these filters, so I can't help with that. But really canisters aren't any more difficult than HOB filters. There's two tubes; one where the water goes in and one where the water goes out. I got my first canister recently and it was a breeze to set up. If it's within your means financially to get one, you may want to consider it as they're much more effective than HOBs.

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The only reason I don't want a canister is because my tank is sitting on my kitchen bar. I COULD put the canister in the cabinets underneath but wouldn't I be able to see the tube/line running under the cabinet? There's no hidden place for all the lines, etc. Then my cabinet door wouldn't shut all the way. I think it would be unsightly.

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Have you tried tightening the piece where the plug and propeller are?
Take the filter to a sink, empty, take off plug/propeller piece, and put back on tightly. Then test over sink for leaks.

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have not! I will try that. Thanks. Fingers crossed.

Lunas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
they make hob canisters

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads