My Ferret Is Injured And I Don't Know What To Do Help

1. Paige98

Paige98 Valued Member Member

So my fiancé and I came home from the movies to find that the top level of my ferret nation cage had fallen on my ferrets neck. When we freed her she could walk but was very wobbly and shaky. She couldn't lift herself up off the ground very much. We have her some furovite to see if she would eat and she still went nuts for it and even tried playing with a toilet paper roll I had out. She didn't seem to be in a lot of pain. I called my aunt who is a vet and she said that it could just be a lot of swelling and only time will tell. What advice do you guys have to keep her comfortable and hopefully help her recover as fast as possible? She's in a small one level cage with a lot of bedding resting. Is there anything else I can do for her? Thanks!

2. F

Freshwaterfish101 New Member Member

If she's eating that's a very good sign, and because she still seems active and can move around it seems unlikely that she's damaged her spine or anything. I would probably take her to vets anyway just in case. As for keeping her comfortable you could provide her with a heating or a cooling pad (the pet safe ones), depending on what the temp is where you live. Hope she gets better soon! :)

Advertisement

3. OP
    OP
    Paige98

She's walking around better and is still eating but when she's in the cage she just lays down. I hope she's getting a lot of rest. Her neck is very swollen but she's not crying or whimpering. Her eye was watering though.

Advertisement

4. maeh22

maeh22 Valued Member Member

I'd take her to the vet to be on the safe side but as long as she's eating, drinking, and playing, I wouldn't consider it emergent.

5. N

NightShade Well Known Member Member

Can you take her to your aunt and get an x-ray just to be sure? Poor thing! It's a good sign that she's moving & playing, but they can withstand a lot more pain than us humans... in their mind & instinct, they don't have a choice but to go on (& ignore).

I had ferrets for 8 & 9 years (had two), loved those crazy trouble makers! Had a friend with a toddler, & would tell her how much ferrets were like a 2 yr old human (but just couldn't talk) smart little boogers!!

6. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I don't know much about ferrets but anytime I needed more expertise than I possess I never regretted going straight to the vets. Animals hide their injuries well.

I only regretted NOT taking my animals to the vets when I should have done.

In my opinion their expertise and experience is worth paying for. Maybe can find a vet that knows ferrets. That would be good.

7. OP
    OP
    Paige98

So she ended up recovering 100% I think she just got a really bad concussion because I noticed a few days later she had some dried blood in her ear but after about a week of a lot of rest she was completely back to her normal self.

8. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I am so glad. Animals are stronger than humans.

9. N

NightShade Well Known Member Member

So glad to hear that she recovered!

Advertisement