My Female Swordtail Is Acting Strange

Kyler

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi,
Tonight when I came into my room to feed my fish I noticed that my Sword-tail female was on the bottom of the tank with her fins pulled in. She also hasn't gone up to the top and has been swimming endlessly in the corner. My male sword-tail comes down every once in a while and just sits by her sort of like he is trying to keep her company and then leaves. What do you think is wrong with her? I am kind of worried because I don't like loosing fish because I become really attached to them. Thanks.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore, sorry your first post is about a problem.
Some more information would help us try & work out what's going on. .
What is the size & other inhabitants, if you have a test kit please post the test results & if you can get a picture of the fish it would help us see what you're describing.

OP
K

Kyler

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Never Mind I found out the cause. It turns out she was pregnant. I saw several fry but in the morning when I checked back up to take them out they were all gone.

OP
K

Kyler

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Coradee said:
Welcome to Fishlore, sorry your first post is about a problem.
Some more information would help us try & work out what's going on. .
What is the size & other inhabitants, if you have a test kit please post the test results & if you can get a picture of the fish it would help us see what you're describing.
Thanks for responding even though the problem was solved. The next morning she was all active and enjoying life again. Unfortunately, there were no fry that survived. Just to be sure though I did a 90% water change (making sure to not suck up an fry if I did end up finding any). I do have another question though. This evening I purchased some serpae tetras. They will be arriving tomorrow. Are they able to go in the community tank? In the tank there is currently 4 swordtails (2 males and 2 females), 4 guppies (1 male 3 females), 1 zebra danio (it was given to me by a friend who was going to throw it away since all his other fish died, he wasn't a good fish person). So would they be good in the tank? It has some java moss and a few other plants and it is a 20 gallon tank. Thanks

max h

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You do have a couple of stock issues, with swordtails you need at least 2 females for every male. The Zebra Danio should be in a group of 6.

OP
K

Kyler

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
max h said:
You do have a couple of stock issues, with swordtails you need at least 2 females for every male. The Zebra Danio should be in a group of 6.
Ya I know. I was going to pick up some zebra danios but Petco was out of stock. They had a deal 5 for $5 and all of them were gone. As for the swordtails, I am hoping they will breed and have some females. Any males I can put in a different tank. I currently have 8 25 gallon tank set up just sitting there in my basement which I get all to myself . I haven't decided what to put into them though. I am thinking about breeding fish in them and putting a divided in each tank so the fry will be in the same type of water, but I don't have too much experience with breeding and I don't know what I will want to try.

max h

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You won't need any experience breeding with livebearers, my 2 female swords have fry in the main tank and they stay there for 2-4 weeks. When I feel like it I will put some fish traps in to catch the fry, they then go in a 55 to grow some. Right now the larger ones are getting ready to go to the LFS for store credit.

OP
K

Kyler

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What about the serpae tetras? Would they be fine with the rest of the fish?

max h

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
From what I read serpae tetras can be nippy and need a group of at least 6. I was looking at getting some, but I didn't want them messing with the school of neon's I have. I ended going with Cherry Barbs as they are really peaceful, once again they do need a school of at least 6. My main tank is 110 gallon so I do have room to work with.

New Threads