my female mollie killed my male mollie Help 

tina1369

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a female dalmation mollie and i think she has killed my male dalmation mollie. she gave birth 6 weeks ago and i could tell she was going to fry again but was taking her time, yesterday i found my male dalmation mollie dead, she was constantly fighting with my male lyretail mollie, so i put her in the floating hatchery last night to give her some space and a couple of hours ago she gave me 20 new mollie fry, i have now put her back in the main tank but is still fighting with the male lyretail mollie, i have another bigger tank but it contains albino oscars (2) and parrot fish (2) so i don't want to put one of them in that tank, what can i do?and why do they fight so much?

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Tina, How big are the tanks?, space could have something to do with it.

tina1369

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
its a 60 litre tank, but she seems to be a really aggresive female. the other tank is 190 litres but got the oscars and parrot fish in so that's a no no, looks like I'm gonna have to look for another tank.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How many mollies are in the tank? Are there any balloon mollies or are they all regular ones?

60L is a bit shy of 16g and that's really too small for at least the three mollies you mentioned as they get to be about 4". So she might just be (or was) a grouchy pregnant fish who's acting aggressively because she's cramped.

ETA: I forgot to mention that livebearers need to be kept in a ratio of 2-3 females for one male or else the males will harass the females to try to mate. So maybe your Molly is lashing out because she's being hounded to mate by multiple males.

What are your water parameters?

You could try putting the breeder box into the bigger tank and put her in it for a little break. Sometimes separating the bully for a few days and then rearranging the decor before moving him/her back will help restore peace.

My dalmation Molly can be a bully, especially to the other mollies, but no one's gotten hurt and no one hides from her so I leave them alone. I had to intervene and move a male platy when the other males ganged up on him and all he did was hide anywhere he could.

-Lisa

tina1369

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Now i just have the one male lyretail mollie and a female lyretail mollie and a female dalmation mollie aprt from the baby fry, things seem to have calmed down at the moment so I'm just gonna keep an eye on them and see what happens, hopefully peace has been restored

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads