My female got a bump!

kelacon

My female guppy, gave birth maybe 1 week ago, and that has been the third birth that she did since September. The first fry, was released because they looked big enough. The guppies are not bullying. Then, the female,after one week of the last birth, got a bump on its butt, or the place where the baby comes out. It fell off one day later, and she is fine but I want to ask, what was that and how did it happen?

Advertisement
Could be anything from expelling a still-born (dead) baby that didn't come out with the main drop to being temporarily constipated if it was right in/on the vent. (The vent is the opening the babies come out as well as the fecal matter is expelled from.) If it was only a temporary, short term type thing I do not think it warrants any worry.

Best of luck.

Advertisement
Very normal.
My male has been bumping her but he has been stopping a lot. He only bumps her when she comes near, even when she is very pregnant. She is luckier then my other ones. I never see them eat, but they are doing well, swimming together happily. They do not bump to much and they don't annoy the babies. One of the babies are pregnant but non of them look male. The guppy is eating and acting normal.

There is another bump. The bump dropped off, but I am still wondering what it is....

Get a magnifying glass, check to see if it is parasites. If they have legs and move around then you will need to medicate the tank with an anti-parasite medication.

Advertisement
Sounds like parasites, because 'bumps' do not just fall off. They 'go away' back into the flesh if it were a mild irritation bump, but for a "bump" to fall off requires that it either rotted off or was never really part of the fish. If it were rotting I'm sure you would notice that, so if I were you I'd do a 50% waterchange immediately. After that is done I would dose the tank with anti-parasite medications, and the label of the medication should tell you how many days to go before doing the next waterchange.

If it is a parasite it is already spread through the tank, so dosing the tank is the best way to deal with it. Make sure to read the label of the medication as to if it will hurt any specific types of fish, some medications hurt fish with labyrinth organs, for example, so you know what fish needs to be taken out of the tank, if any.

were you able to see if they had legs or moved around under the magnifying glass. It sure does sound like parasites and like treatment should start asap.

I changed the water. the bump stopped and she looks better. The water before still seemed clean!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
fishywoo
Replies
Views
emeraldking
  • Question
Replies
Views
emeraldking
Replies