My female betta is 'acting' differently with some new behavior, is it an issue?

• Thread starter deerlybeloved
  • Start date

deerlybeloved

Sorry, I know the title is a little vague, but I'm not sure how to describe it!

This isn't very critical to the story, but it's some interesting context in my opinion. I bought three female bettas from a breeder a few months back. They were in a sorority tank when I got them and seemed to be doing fine there, but when I got home I noticed aggressive behavior, a little too much to be the typical 'establishing a hierarchy' I was warned about and researched. It ended with me deciding it was best to split all my girls up using aquarium dividers, but once I did that two of them died within a week (RIP to Ouro and Celeste), leaving only a koi betta named Agni.

I was happy enough to just have one betta, but the tank was 10 gallons so I quickly bought more live plants from my favorite shop, some driftwood, and some grass. Things were doing fantastic, and Agni seemed very happy to flutter about her tank, hoarding the copious betta leaves and plants she had to lounge on now. I eventually bought some ghost shrimp, and I already had a nerite snail in there that she didn't bully or pick on. They've all been doing very well, Agni isn't attacking the shrimp even when they're beside her, and I was pleased with how my little tank was doing.

However, I've started noticing changes in behavior in Agni. At first, it started with her changing how she ate. She'd swim up to the top of the tank every morning when I fed her, and she'd watch the pellets sloooowly float down, following it all the way, and then when it hit the bottom she'd eat it. Then, she began to hang around the bottom of the tank more and more, often laying in the grass or on the gravel near her 'favorite' decoration (one of those tacky sunken barrels, but my little brother bought it for me so... hearts). The shrimp began to start to do their thing closer and closer to her, sometimes even touching her, but she doesn't attack, instead, she just flutters away to another part of the tank to not be bothered

This morning, I watched her intentionally move food I dropped in (pellets and then a few bloodworms as a treat) towards the patch of grass I planted in the center of the tank, wait until it hit the middle of the grass, and then float around the outside of the grass before diving in and 'attacking' the pellet.

It was curious behavior for me because I hadn't really seen this before. I've mostly been a molly and guppy keeper, and only recently branched out into other fish, so I'm so paranoid I'm doing something wrong! I was worried she might need enrichment of some sort if she's intentionally putting her food in a place she can mock-ambush it, but I'm not sure if that's what's happening here or not.

Is this behavior something to be worried about, am I doing something wrong? I'd hate to keep her in need of something because I don't know enough about bettas to pick up on what this means.

Cinnabar

Betta are strange little fish, so the food thing doesn’t surprise me at all haha. I’m more worried about the hanging out at the bottom part. Bettas love to explore every little nook and cranny- this is pretty weird. Maybe it’s the water flow? I’m not sure. What kind of filter are you using?

deerlybeloved

WhatsUpGuys said:
Betta are strange little fish, so the food thing doesn’t surprise me at all haha. I’m more worried about the hanging out at the bottom part. Bettas love to explore every little nook and cranny- this is pretty weird. Maybe it’s the water flow? I’m not sure. What kind of filter are you using?
I'm using an Aqua Tech 5-15! I used to have guppies and mollies, who did just fine with this filter, but I've had my eye on a more expensive filter, similar to a Fluval, to avoid the 'dripping' on the waters' surface. She was perfectly content beforehand, no real behavior like this for the 4 months I've had her, but the past two weeks this has been happening.
I'm thinking that her playing with food is just her odd little fish personality, it wouldn't surprise me, she was definitely THE aggressor among the sorority.

Top Bottom