My female betta and corys sharing a meal

armadillo
This is so funny. I'd mentioned that one of my female bettas was co-habiting with corys, and totally ignoring them. So I gave the corys some garlic-dipped flakes. She figured she'd have some of the fun. I love that there was no aggression whatsoever.

jack11
Wow great photos and fish! and cool is an understatement!

Jack

chickadee
WOW, you have a great little fish family there and I second the notion, cool is indeed an understatement!

I love the idea also of feeding them out of a bowl, I had never thought of that and it would make the removal of uneaten food SO MUCH easier. Thanks for the notion!

WOW!

Rose

armadillo
Thanks, Jack. Am so pleased they get on. First thing she did when I introduced one to the tank was peck at it, so I was ready to remove it. Not a sign of aggression since. Pfewwww.

jack11
I don't really know muchy about Bettas but i'm presuming the females are less aggresive than the males? glad we got that misuser sorted out before lol

Jack

armadillo
As a rule of thumb, yes, they're less aggressive. But they're still antisocial stinkers generally, LOL. It's still pretty much touch-and-go if you decide to risk have your female betta share with other fish.

MrWaxhead
Very cool

jack11
As a rule of thumb, yes, they're less aggressive. But they're still antisocial stinkers generally, LOL. It's still pretty much touch-and-go if you decide to risk have your female betta share with other fish.

hahah fair enough yours must be friendly in the way a highschool bully is "friendly" for not stealing your lunch money lol.

Jack

voiceless_kat
Way to go Laure Anne Lotus was with cories too and she was great, followed them, ate with them. Then she just died suddenly. The Cories are still going strong, are now inTiny's tank with OtoC, but Tiny isn't there. It will be interesting to see how that goes.

I love the photos, and I second Rose's thanks for the dish hint. I also copied that ( think I told you) and it really works so well. Now when Sammy & Scooter see me, they swim into their dish!!

How fun!! By the way, your female has beautiful fins, I have never seen one like that here. They are all so tiny, and actually resemble guppies kinda ( excpet for the mouth ) Is she a special kind??

Val

Butterfly
Those pic are absolutely fantastic!! Yes female Bettas have very individual personalities. Some are really laid back and some are very aggressive. The most beautiful female Betta I ever owned killed two males AFTER spawning so she became a widow and lived a good long time after. Her name was Miss Sassy
so glad yours is getting along with the Corys.
Carol

voiceless_kat
Those pic are absolutely fantastic!! Yes female Bettas have very individual personalities. Some are really laid back and some are very aggressive. The most beautiful female Betta I ever owned killed two males AFTER spawning so she became a widow and lived a good long time after. Her name was Miss Sassy
Carol

Carol.... - use em and lose em!! Val

ricktavious
That is so cute!

nmwierman1977
That's so cute. Very cool idea indeed. Natalie

Allie
Cute!

Barbrella
The pics are great and your betta girl is just beautiful!

COBettaCouple
LOVE the pics! she's a great little betta girl!

armadillo
Wow. That makes you think, hey. I have one female whom I would never have share with anything (except for her apple snail, as he's got a shell!). She flares at herself!
Carol

Thanks, Dave. I think she's the most beautiful of my girls.
LOVE the pics! she's a great little betta girl!

Wow, thanks, Val!

I also find her so pretty. I think she's my prettiest of the three females I have (separate tanks).

I have no idea what kind she is. She has definite crown- or at least combtail traits to her (difficult to tell without a better close-up).

I love that the edge of her fins is lined in black. I think that's so pretty.

Yeah, I love using bowls with them. I am now using a community bowl for my bigger tank. It's a transparent plate, so I can see them eat. Also, it's wider, so not as much competition. But with corys, the high-sided bowl isn't a problem. It's funny. My corys pretty much LIVE in their food bowl. I have to take it out one in a while to rinse it out, but aside from that, it's pretty much their permanent home.
Way to go Laure Anne Lotus was with cories too and she was great, followed them, ate with them. Then she just died suddenly. The Cories are still going strong, are now inTiny's tank with OtoC, but Tiny isn't there. It will be interesting to see how that goes.

I love the photos, and I second Rose's thanks for the dish hint. I also copied that ( think I told you) and it really works so well. Now when Sammy & Scooter see me, they swim into their dish!!

How fun!! By the way, your female has beautiful fins, I have never seen one like that here. They are all so tiny, and actually resemble guppies kinda ( excpet for the mouth ) Is she a special kind??

Val

COBettaCouple
lol.. that's so cool - aren't they such great fish? people don't know what they're missing if they haven't had some cory cats.

armadillo
Totally, and I was one of them until recently. I just didn't get what all the fuss was about. Now, I just can't get enough corys!

COBettaCouple
yea, same here until we got some.. then we were hooked.. I hope we can get some more soon. I miss having them.

Totally, and I was one of them until recently. I just didn't get what all the fuss was about. Now, I just can't get enough corys!

chickadee
I love my Sterba's Cories and they are so beautiful. Io (the betta in that side of the tank) is fascinated with them and cannot understand why they always play together (3 of them) and won't let him join in. When he joins the group they always go into the cave and won't play any more ... he is devastated.

Rose

COBettaCouple
isn't it amazing how often Bettas (who 'never' get along with other fish) will not only accept Corys, but actually want to buddy up with them? Just another myth about Bettas busted! ;D

I love my Sterba's Cories and they are so beautiful. Io (the betta in that side of the tank) is fascinated with them and cannot understand why they always play together (3 of them) and won't let him join in. When he joins the group they always go into the cave and won't play any more ... he is devastated.

Rose

chickadee
Mine love their otos too. In fact, Alex used to love to take his afternoon naps under the heater with them where they slept during the day. I have a picture somewhere of two little butts turned toward the camera from under the heater ... one was oto and the other betta. They were both sound asleep.

Rose

COBettaCouple
I love that pic! ;D

Mine love their otos too. In fact, Alex used to love to take his afternoon naps under the heater with them where they slept during the day. I have a picture somewhere of two little butts turned toward the camera from under the heater ... one was oto and the other betta. They were both sound asleep.

Rose

armadillo
Well actually I worried about that (you know, like that she would steal the corys' food and not play nice), but she totally ignores them.

Or are you talking about the other female who attacked the pygmy corys immediately?

Argh, am confused. I NEED to start naming my fish.
hahah fair enough yours must be friendly in the way a highschool bully is "friendly" for not stealing your lunch money lol.

Jack

chickadee
Emma was the one who was the terror who killed everything I put in with her. She killed all my other female bettas, my pygmy cories and otos and any other fish that went in with her. She was a female Cambodian Crowntail and red to boot. I have read that RED bettas are the most aggressive and the Cambodian strain is the most aggressive of the reds. So I had a double whammy with her. She eventually committed suicide of a sort by jumping out of a very small hole in the top of the tank and getting between the wall and the back of the tank stand. This happened during the night and she was long dead before I found her. She is the only betta I did not ever have any rapport with as she would not get close to anyone and would never learn to handfeed or have anything to do with me. Some of my other females were mean but nothing compared to her. I will say that the darker the color, in my experience the more aggressive they became. The lighter colored females that I owned were way more docile. In fact, Misty who was white with cellophane fins, was a real little sweetheart. She was unfortunately the first one they killed as she did not know how to defend herself.

The betta in the picture below, was Alexander who was my first Rosetail Halfmoon and probably my very favorite betta of all times. He was a sweetheart and my baby for sure. He passed away not long ago and now has a namesake who is similar but now nearly as loving. The Rosetails are really sweeties though.

Rose

I am attaching photos of Emma (red female) and Alex (blue Rosetail)

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BettasAreSuperior
Replies
Views
HairyCatFish
Replies
Views
JustAFishServant
Top Bottom