My fancy guppy tank has grown 10 Gallon Tank

1. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I have a 40 gallon tall and I'm waiting for it to cycle. In the meantime I decided I wanted some Fancy guppies but not in that tank. I started looking for a new tank I started with the 3 gallon then a 5 and today I got a 10 gallon Aqueon Kit from Petco. So I thought some fancy guppies, some cherry shrimp or ghost shrimp, and maybe an Otocincui Algae Eater. I read that honey Gourami do well with guppies also. I also know I'm supposed to only have about 10 inches of fish. However these should all swim at different levels so are these fish okay if so how many of each? I guess I should mention, it's a Dirted tank. I only have a tiny Amazon sword right now but will get more plants when I find out where Thanks so much.

2. atc84 Well Known Member Member

saying that you have 10 inches of fish in a 10 gallon is kind of a bad idea around here, LOL. xD

But actually, that rule isn't very accurate, but it is a decent benchmark, so sure lets go with it.

Cherry Shrimp don't really count, and each fancy guppy is about 2 inches at max growth. Honey gourami at 3 inches, and Otos are kept in schools, so you would have to get at least 5 for them to be happy, so lets put that on hold. If you want something to eat algae, then get a mystery snail since that doesn't cost you any bioload.

So, you could get up to 4 fancy guppies and a honey gourami i'd say.

3. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

. Sounds like a plan. I'm a little afraid of snails. Years ago some friends brought their fish tank over while they went on vacation and it had a beautiful plant in it. it was eaten to death by snails. At the time I didn't know anything about fish all they told me to do was feed them flakes. I know clown Loach take care of snails but my tank would be too small for them. Are there any small loaches that would fit my tank and do they have to be in the school?

4. atc84 Well Known Member Member

I was afraid of snails at first also. When i first saw them all over my glass for the first time, I tried to remove all of them for a couple days. I stopped when i realized it was pointless, and that snails are actually really good for aquariums.

mystery snails are different from pest snails. They are much bigger, and don't breed much. Some pets stores have them, i'm not sure if petco/petsmart has them...

5. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

There are no loaches suitable for a 10 gallon, nor are Otos
    If you do get some hitchiking snails put a piece of cucumber in the tank & leave it overnight, in the morning it should have snails on it which you can remove, keeping an eye on your feeding will also help to prevent a population explosion.

6. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

I would also add that a mystery snail does add to your bioload. A lot.
    Put it this way; a mystery snail leaves behind a trail that a plec might envy:).
    They used to be known as infusoria snails for this trait, and were cultivated (in a jar, or whatever) for the 'green water' (micro plankton) that were often the first food given to very small fry.
    I do agree that they are nice enough, but my doctor has warned me off of them, as the amount of butter-garlic sauce needed to do them justice would give my blood the consistency of chilled lard.
    Your tank will do just fine with your manually removing algae from time to time, and any extra algae will be enjoyed by your guppies.
    Best, rick

7. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

All my water parameters are spot on. Can I go get some guppies now? Or do I have to wait because I have a dirted tank.