My Fake Plants Looked So Much Better :(

1. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

I thought I'd try real plants in my shrimp tank (Well, it's suppose to be my shrimp tank. The grand daughter wanted one of my bettas for her birthday and I found a white male baby that I thought might grow out to look like mine.) I pulled all my fake plants except for one that is trying to hide the filter. I'm not real excited or hopeful. I don't use ferts or CO2 so I'll just see what happens. I have the plastic ones ready to go back in. IMG_9214.JPG

2. dcutl002

dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

Looks good to me.

3. Absolem420

Absolem420 Valued Member Member

Agreed I think it's sick...

4. sassymomma

sassymomma Well Known Member Member

I like it

How do you do the java moss hedgerow??

5. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I'm on the same boat with you. I just changed to plants in my tank thinking that it's going to look great but after putting them in I'm thinking this looks weird.

I know once it grows it will be awesome and people will be in awe.

6. OP
    OP
    KimberlyG

I don't know what the heck it is. I looked all over for java moss for them and couldn't find any. Someone on the forum was selling plants and shrimp but when I found it, the java moss was gone. I was at PetCo looking at shrimp (Which looked an hour away from death) and I noticed java moss tied to something. I think they called it "design a vine" don't really remember. All I cared about is that it was java moss. It has been in the tank for several weeks. The java fern and 3 anubis plants are the new plantings.

7. sassymomma

Yes, I can tell that those are new. They will look better once they fill in a bit and grow some more leaves

I love that moss though....got my wheels turning now, to figure out how to do that

8. OP
    OP
    KimberlyG

Mine will probably turn brown. The anubis are on driftwood so I guess I wouldn't be opposed to taking them out once a week and dosing them with ferts for a day then rinsing with tank water and returning them. I don't know that it will make that big a difference. since I won't dose the tank. I guess it's just going to be an experiment. Fortunately live plants don't fare well with most of my fish but if this works out at all, I would like to plant my betta tanks.

9. Fashooga

I don't have ferts either, but I will probably get some, unless the fish poop can act as a fertilizer. I mean if we use manure to cultivate our lands so we can grow tobacco and tomatoes I'm sure fish poop can make our plants grow, right?

10. sassymomma

I like API leaf zone for my Anubis-really added growth

I don't add much, and not regularly so if you are going to pull out and dose in a bucket, might work for you

These were all three leaf plants a month ago 1107d2d2b4edc2917ca4e6f37cfc6040.jpg 09e07c84b57c56e20aa3e63dfb7fe03b.jpg

11. OP
    OP
    KimberlyG

That's all there is in my outdoor ponds, but obviously they have the best light. My plants grow like crazy, constantly ripping them out. lol

Thanks! I'll look into that. I'm much more comfortable with limited exposure in the tank as a whole.

12. sassymomma

I can understand that

I added Seachem flourish excel and the snails ran for the top. Anything that chases my snails away doesn't belong in the tank

Besides, the cats drink from the filter, so I prefer to only use Prime

13. Habu22

Habu22 Valued Member Member

I dont think ferts are necessary. If one thing has trouble, maybe sample something else. 152d0cc7738c4b61aed996622a8f2d15.jpg I tried java ferns for a while, but they kept dying and I couldn't tell why. I popped an Anubius in there and poof! It took off. Ive had it bloom with three flowers at once! And this is the exact same tank where java ferns crashed and burned! (RIP my lace leaf, I liked that plant :/)

14. OP
    OP
    KimberlyG

Nice! That gives me some hope. I got the java fern because I had read that they were easy and low light but if I can only do anubis and the java moss (which seems to be doing okay) I'd be happy! Thanks for the picture!

15. Fashooga

Does talking to the plants help? Maybe I can get the fish to do that. ;)

16. sassymomma

I hear a split light period helps

A few hours in the morning, turn off for a bit, and back on in the evening

Apparently, the split day lets the plants effectively use the mornings light? I'm still looking into the theory

17. OP
    OP
    KimberlyG

I'm googling the wrong thing...still haven't found anything but I'll keep looking.

18. sassymomma

Photoperiod- the term used. I just remembered. There's a fair bit here on fishlore- conversation threads in the Planted Tank forum.

and a good thread here, discussing pros and cons: but it's not in our forum, so if I tread on any toes posting this, I apologise
    Split Photo Period/"Siesta", Pros/Cons - Aquarium Plants - Barr Report

and heeheehoo...if you dont find this thread relevant, there is no need for you to comment on it. It is as relevant to the OP as anything that you have posted in this forum and recieved feedback on. We are here on this forum to help each other, no matter what the issue or how minor it may seem to onlookers.

19. OP
    OP
    KimberlyG

20. sassymomma

No problem

I'd have found it sooner but I needed a computer to do the search and link

Smartphones can do "almost " everything a computer can