5 Gallon Tank My Experiment Tank at Work

JettsPapa

Hello,

I started back working on-site in the last week of May. A week or so after that I set up a 5 gallon tank on my desk, so it's been running for about two months, or a little longer. Since it's at work I wanted to keep it as simple as possible, so the only appliance it has is a light. No filter, no air stone, and no heater. There's a row of assorted crypts planted along the back, along with a fist sized clump of pearl weed, some Hydrocotyle tripartita, a stem of Brazilian pennywort, a few stems of anarcharis, and a couple floating water sprite plants. It was my hope that the plants would be enough to handle the waste from the tank inhabitants.

I stocked it with 10 blue neocaridina shrimp and a pair of juvenile dumbo mosaic guppies, and of course it has the usual assortment of bladder snails, rams horn snails, and Malaysian trumpet snails. The substrate is about 2" of Black Diamond sandblasting sand.

Operating on the principle of "By the time I test the water I could be halfway finished with the water change, so why not just go ahead and do the water change?" I've been doing a one gallon water change twice per week (usually Monday and Thursday) and not testing. I've been fertilizing with 0.5 ml of Easy Green after each water change. The last water change was last Friday, so it's been five days.

I've been curious, so this morning I decided to test for the first time. I didn't test for nitrates, because I'm not too worried about them (and didn't want to take the time), but ammonia and nitrites were both at zero. So far so good. I think I'll go to once per week water changes, at least until there's fry.

There's a healthy outbreak of green water now (yes, I've reduced lighting), but when that clears up I'll post a picture.

FishPlanet

WooHoo! Post pics soon! ;)

Debbie1986

Nice set up!

PAcanis

Looking forward to seeing it.

JettsPapa

I ordered some of the test strips from Aquarium Co-op last week (partly to get my order high enough for free shipping, and partly because I wanted to try something other than the API liquid test for KH and GH). I did the usual 1 gallon water change yesterday, followed by 0.5 ml of Easy Green. The results were:
  • Nitrate 10 ppm
  • Nitrite 0 ppm
  • GH between 150 and 300, probably closer to the high end
  • KH about 180, but to be honest I see very little difference on the chart between 180 and 300
  • pH 8.2
  • Chorine 0, which was to be expected since I haul well water from home
The green water is looking better. I can actually see the plants at the back of the tank. I'll try to post pictures soon; hopefully next week.

Pfrozen

Project tanks are so much fun. Following!

JettsPapa

I used the Aquarium Co-op strips to test the water this morning. The last water change was last Monday, so it's been a week. The strips don't test for ammonia, but nitrites were at zero, and nitrates were also low; at 20 ppm or lower.

I went ahead and did a 20% water change since I'm going on vacation and won't be back until next week Thursday, but I think it would have been fine without it.

The green water hasn't quite cleared up, but it's getting better.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MasterPython
Replies
Views
Azedenkae
Replies
Views
Fish20G
Replies
Views