Important My experience with Camallanus worms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
This going to be my journal while I am treating my Betta and other fish for this uncommon parasite.
Prazi Pro is useless on C.worms.
Jungle Labs medicated food treat the worms.

;D If you have questions or comments please use this thread here>

Last edited:

Allie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
My obervations so far:
~Betta seem to get affected faster than other fish species
~The smaller/older the fish the easier affected
~It take months for the worms to show if at all
Symptoms In my Betta:
~ repetative fin rot issues: tearing fins, holes and chunks of fin fall off
~swollen vent/anus, adominal area or gills
~1-3 days prior to death lose in color and letharigc, hiding, sitting on bottom
~red thread like worms stickingoutof anus/vent
With my betta they all had different things happen:
1.Jasper suddenly lost color and was lethargic 2 days later he was gone.
2. Mr. Peach same thing.
3. Holly was bloated since I got her
4. Aries died suddenly the same day as Holly
5. Buster died the day after, he had fin rot going on for bit
6. Casper looked fine but a bit bloated, was gone 2 days later
7. Sebastian fin rots for months, suddenly Lethargic & bloated, with lessions on side gone 2 days after.
Symptoms in other Fish:
None in Diamond tetra
Keyhole Cichlids
~female had septicemia cured with Maracyn Two In March
~1st male Keyhole had a swollen anus, red worms but it went away. He got drospy, pineconed and we lost him
~2nd male Keyhole had swollen anus,and worms. Read about removing them with tweezers and cleaning wound with peroxide. Has been doing well since, thin looking tho. Wound healed,. Added salt 5ml per 5g to tank. Prazi Pro has been added too.

Last edited:

Allie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score

Allie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Did the re treatment this afternoon. The Betta are doing really well.
JB's gills are not inflamed. Prince, Felix and Sunny aren't bloated anymore.
Smokey, my male angelfish expelled all kinds of poop, funky looking stuff. Now his tummy looks thinner.
Is it possible that certain fish are easily affected by these worms? Like certain people get cancer?
My female angelfish, Ziggy seems completely unaffected as does the WB Datnoid, Scooby.
Everyone is showing major improvements. :;broccoli

Allie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Saturday morning and everyone: betta, angelfish and keyholes are all showing huge improvements. All swollen anal areas are normal again. Woo hoo!! Felix has a bit of fin rot...but he is the only one not to have fin issues until now. Hopefully it's just from the treatment and his fins will be perfect again.
I hope this med works for us, it seems to be as of so far.
The parasite should be gone once we disinfect ALL of the tanks...got 2 done now.
This whole process is a pain in the butt, but if we can save this fish affect by the c.worms it is totally worth it.
I mean where am I going to find Betta like Sunny, Prince and Felix again? Our lfs hardly has HM/delta tail, or anything besides veil tail or crown tail betta. They all have such sweet personalities, like my poor Casper RIP...I really will be heart broken if I lose any of my last 4 guys. JB and I have a good conection, even tho he isn't te prettiest guy I have had.
Heather is going to Maine tomorrow and she offered to get Levimasol, if she could find it. It's another med that we can't get here in Cnd. It is supose to be the most effective med on callamanus worms.
Meds with these names in it are suppose to be go to treat c. worms
Praziquantel (Prazi pro) useless on c.worms
Levamisole
Mebendoazole
Piperazine
Trichlorfon
Niclosamide

Last edited:

Allie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Yea, I hope you don't lose any of them. It's encouraging that you're seeing some positive results already.
Yeah it is considering other people on other forums aren't or did have any results with Prazi pro.
The only fish we may lose is the keyhole male...he is very skinny. But every now & then he flirts with the female.
Just like any man when their sick, I guess.

Allie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
So the Betta and angels maybe getting better.
But as of 1 minute ago when I fed the keyholes...Luis my male was hiding, not interested in the food at all & his tummy is bloated. Now he may be just filling up with dead worms. eww!! I hope he can pass it soon. He was so skinny this morning.
If he cannot pass them he could get dropsy and die....off to get maracyn two just in case he is still bloated or worse by the morning.

Allie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
The keyhole is looking much better today. He must have passed whatever made him bloated yesterday. He still hides a lot and that's what the first guy did before he pine coned.
I am really getting sick of the smell of bleach, I tell you what. I ran out of hand sanitizer so I replace it with a water/bleach solution. My hands are the cleanest in town right now, lol.

Allie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I just wanted to add that obviously callamanus worms are RARE, but when you get them...you get them. If your fish has definite red thread like worms...treat with Prazi or one of the meds mentioned right away. These thing take a long time to get rid of.
Be prepared mentally that treatment could go on for months. But we are retreating until all fish look normal 100%. Even if we have to spend another $27.11 on Prazi pro.
It's hasn't been a week yet but MY fish are showing good signs of improvement. On another forum one girl is on her second treatment and her fish still aren't showing signs like mine are.

Allie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
A thought just occurred to me:
My 33g has been set up since before Christmas and our 120g since November 2006. Totally established tanks, gone...out the window.
With this parasite you have to disinfect everything from the nets, decorations, rocks, thermometers, heaters, filters(throw out the old media), any aquarium accessories you have used. We have to start all 9 tanks from scratch. We have 2 done and we need to get our new one soon so we can put the fish in them to disinfect the ones they are being treating now.
2.gif
This is making a tad be cranky.

Allie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Felix and the keyholes...pix from today. ;D
Look Felix has a red wash in his re growth.
I think once he heals up he's going to have more colors and longer fins. :;broccoli
My male keyhole is the same color as the female again. Oh please let this be permanent with everyone's progress. BTW he is suppose to be BIGGER than the female. The parasites stunted his growth.

Attachments

Last edited:

Allie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Still healing up what not...still see some worms coming out of Felix and Sunny, but there are coming and dying. I'll keep treating until I see no sign of worms. I hope next treatment...Wednesday will be the last for these two. Everyone else looks good.

Allie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
So the betta ALL still are expelling worms and what not...this is day 2 of the 3rd treatment. Everyone is still improving other fronts.
Mmmm...Felix has a torn fin, probably from his visits with Sunny boy.
Today was pea day, the boys do love their peas. I should see some real interesting poo later. The life of a fish keeper...I'd still rather do this than change dirty diapers. ANY day.

Allie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
JB is acting odd today. Like he isn't all here. ODD! He is the only one who really hasn't passed much worms. I am a bit worried b/c he is an older fish & he has been exposed to this since March when I got him. He does look better but something is off today.
Felix and Sunny have a huge amount of adult worms coming of them. Prince looks awesome this morning.
On the Prazi bottle it says: Retreat no more than 3-5 days after the first. I treated them a second time 4 days after the first one. Then another 4 days later I am treating them for the 3rd time...but this time I am letting it sit for the whole 5 days this time. If I have to retreat so be it. As long as I see improvement while the worms are still hanging around...they will be treated. I just hope a third time is a charm.

Allie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
There are NO worms hanging out of anyone this morning. Hopefully this is the last time they will have to be treated.
Jellybean is still acting weird. I am going to do a water change today on his tank to see if that perkens him up.

Allie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
You should see the worms coming out of Felix, Prince and Sunny It must be the last of them trying to escape from the Prazi Pro. The boys are doing fine.

I read that the treatment could take months. Depending on how healthy the fish is to begin with, the treatment may kill them. There has got to be 5-7 worms sticking out of Felix, he is swimming around like nothing is happening.
JB is hiding and not being active at all. He must has something going on. His fins are rotting on the ends a bit. Treating him with a fungus cure. If he doesn't perken up, after the treatment, should I treat him again for c.worms?
At least the other 3 are doing well.
My male keyhole has been looking odd so I am retreating him again as a precaution. I hope I am doing the right thing. I don't want to over treat them...especially if I see no signs of worms. I really don't know what else to do poor the little guy. :-\

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom