My experience with Buce plants vs Petsmart plants

Utar

A month ago I ordered for the fist time from Buce plants, three Echinodorus Red Rubin which is in the Amazon Sword family. The roots of the plants came embedded in this stuff that someone told my the name of here but I don't remember. It is like a brown cotton. I tried to get this stuff off the roots, but I was tearing up the roots in the attempt. So I left it a lot of it on the roots and planted them, they did not survive. I just pulled up was left of these plants and that stuff really nasty. The plants are a wash, so I will have to throw them away.

Two years ago and recently I bought Amazon Swords from Petsmart. These plant's roots came embedded in white pearl looking stuff that was loose and easy to sake out and remove. So I didn't damage the roots at all. Got the roots completely clean of the stuff with little or no effort and all these plant survived.

I know others have had good experience with Buce plants, but for me until they use something on the roots that is easy to remove without destroying the roots, I will look else where.

-Mak-

The medium is called rock wool and it's standard across the entire aquarium plant industry, not just one shop. It's going to be common across any place you buy from, including at many LFS's. It's easier to remove in a bowl of water, where you split it in half to reveal the roots.

jake37

Rock wool is standard but generally speaking i was very unhappy with my order from Bruce plants a couple of months ago. Only one plant of about 6 was in 'good shape'; several had no roots (stem plants frequently don't have roots but these were not stems); others look good until the rock wool was removed and exposed the lower section which was rotten. I will not use bruce plants again.

I recently placed an order with dustinfishtanks at the recommendation of 86 ssinit and these plants were fantastic. They were well rooted (even the stems) and they sent quite a bit of extra. My biggest complaint with dustinfishtanks is putting together a complete order as individual plants frequently go out of stock.

I've placed several orders with yourfishstuff via ebay and have been happy with them as well as aquariumcoop and aquatic-motiv (ebay). I would highly recommend all four of these but I would place dustinfishtanks as top tier by a wide margin (if they have what you want) given that their plants were exceptional. My only reluctance on recommending dustinfishtanks is that I have only used them once (though very recently); while i have used the other 3 multiple times. While it might be a while before i place more plant orders (my tanks are all pretty packed); they would be my first choice for my next order (if they have what I want).

Utar

The medium is called rock wool and it's standard across the entire aquarium plant industry, not just one shop. It's going to be common across any place you buy from, including at many LFS's. It's easier to remove in a bowl of water, where you split it in half to reveal the roots.
Thanks Mak for your reply but I will find the Petsmarts to purchase my plants through because as it would seem they stand alone in how they pack the roots. The white pearl looking stuff shakes right out leaving the roots pristine. I have had good luck with their plants. Not with their fish so much, about 50/50.

Rock wool is standard but generally speaking i was very unhappy with my order from Bruce plants a couple of months ago. Only one plant of about 6 was in 'good shape'; several had no roots (stem plants frequently don't have roots but these were not stems); others look good until the rock wool was removed and exposed the lower section which was rotten. I will not use bruce plants again.

I recently placed an order with dustinfishtanks at the recommendation of 86 ssinit and these plants were fantastic. They were well rooted (even the stems) and they sent quite a bit of extra. My biggest complaint with dustinfishtanks is putting together a complete order as individual plants frequently go out of stock.

I've placed several orders with yourfishstuff via ebay and have been happy with them as well as aquariumcoop and aquatic-motiv (ebay). I would highly recommend all four of these but I would place dustinfishtanks as top tier by a wide margin (if they have what you want) given that their plants were exceptional. My only reluctance on recommending dustinfishtanks is that I have only used them once (though very recently); while i have used the other 3 multiple times. While it might be a while before i place more plant orders (my tanks are all pretty packed); they would be my first choice for my next order (if they have what I want).

Thanks for the reply Jake37, you have given my some good websites to check out.

mrjohn

I have to chime in here for just a moment. I've heard great things about buceplant and your situation was unfortunate. However, you are not alone. I pretty much order all of my planting supplies from Aquarium Co-op and I have recently been purchasing all of my plants from them. I've always had good things to say about them until my last order.

The marimo moss ball was falling apart and wasn't even a ball. Not really a big deal but then..
The Scarlet Temple had leaves broken all over but had some nice coloring. Two days after planting it, it completely melted to goo. There are a few stems with roots left so I still have hope.

The Dwarf Hairgrass was brown with a hint of green. This shipped in rock wool and I had the same issue as you. I ran it under water as well. I'm not blaming my rock wool incompetence on them but I'll blame the brown on them.

All in all, the whole order was a bust. I should have took pictures and asked for a refund but I wanted to give the plants a shot to recover and I've had great experiences in the past with them.

I can only assume that the Covid economy has its tentacles in absolutely everything. Even our plants. It's a shame.

EbiAqua

I started using Greenleaf Aquariums for my plants. Buceplant is good but I live on the Southeast coast of FL and they are in CA. So unless I choose the fastest shipping my plants arrive in poor condition.

Greenleaf Aquariums are located in Tallahassee and specialize in tissue cultures and high quality CO2 equipment.

jake37

Just an fyi: I personally find tissue cultures much more difficult to get adapted to a tank than a rooted plant. The few i've tried have taken an extremely long time to get established. I've heard good things about greenleaf but i personally avoid tissue cultures.

I started using Greenleaf Aquariums for my plants. Buceplant is good but I live on the Southeast coast of FL and they are in CA. So unless I choose the fastest shipping my plants arrive in poor condition.

Greenleaf Aquariums are located in Tallahassee and specialize in tissue cultures and high quality CO2 equipment.

Utar

I took a couple of pictures of the stuff for the roots of aqua plants from Petsmart it is a Top Fin product. All I have to do is pull the Amazon Sword plants that I have bought from there, right out, shake the plant a little and its all gone. Well maybe a few little pearls are left behind. I found some floating in my aquarium.

Top Fin - Petsmart - Aquaplant - root suff.jpg
Top Fin - Petsmart - Aquaplant - root suff1.jpg

EbiAqua

I took a couple of pictures of the stuff for the roots of aqua plants from Petsmart it is a Top Fin product. All I have to do is pull the Amazon Sword plants that I have bought from there, right out, shake the plant a little and its all gone. Well maybe a few little pearls are left behind. I found some floating in my aquarium.

Top Fin - Petsmart - Aquaplant - root suff.jpg
Top Fin - Petsmart - Aquaplant - root suff1.jpg
The best advice I can give for ordering plants is to order as close to you as possible. I'm lucky in that I'm less than 2 hours from GLA, but BucePlant is over 1000 miles from my house. During the hot summers or cold snaps, guaranteeing that plants arrive in good condition is a gamble, and if you get standard shipping where I live you can expect 5 days or longer in the post. I have ordered from them and received boxes of essentially brown mush, but it was my fault for not choosing a faster shipping method.

Having been a Petsmart employee, I rarely purchased plants from them, with the exception of the ones in the to-go cups. My banana plant is going strong and has a nice red tint to the leaves.

The gel the plants are in is the same substance we used as a water source for crickets. I have also seen plants in those plastic tubes with clear signs of insect infestation and mold, so they are not guaranteed to be healthy and pest free.

I love tissue cultures, but that's just me. They tend to adapt well in my tanks because I use CO2.

Utar

The best advice I can give for ordering plants is to order as close to you as possible. I'm lucky in that I'm less than 2 hours from GLA, but BucePlant is over 1000 miles from my house. During the hot summers or cold snaps, guaranteeing that plants arrive in good condition is a gamble, and if you get standard shipping where I live you can expect 5 days or longer in the post. I have ordered from them and received boxes of essentially brown mush, but it was my fault for not choosing a faster shipping method.

Having been a Petsmart employee, I rarely purchased plants from them, with the exception of the ones in the to-go cups. My banana plant is going strong and has a nice red tint to the leaves.

The gel the plants are in is the same substance we used as a water source for crickets. I have also seen plants in those plastic tubes with clear signs of insect infestation and mold, so they are not guaranteed to be healthy and pest free.

I love tissue cultures, but that's just me. They tend to adapt well in my tanks because I use CO2.
I hear ya when you said you used to work at Petsmart. The plants that I have bought there in the tubes always looked healthy with no signs of rot or pest. If they did, I wouldn't buy them.

I would have to do some research to be sure, but I am probably many, many miles away form any plant ordering place on the web. During the summer it gets up into the triple digits on its hottest days, and that is soon this time of the year. So it is better I don't order plants or fish online until September or later.

Besides I have a weird address, ups or fedex can't find my house. I have entered my address into amazon and amazon wouldn't except it saying cannot be located.

Mongo75

I've used Aquarium Plants Factory, and since we're both in southern Ca, I've had good luck with them. I've also had really good luck with the tube plants from Petsmart and Petco.

I hear ya when you said you used to work at Petsmart. The plants that I have bought there in the tubes always looked healthy with no signs of rot or pest. If they did, I wouldn't buy them.

I would have to do some research to be sure, but I am probably many, many miles away form any plant ordering place on the web. During the summer it gets up into the triple digits on its hottest days, and that is soon this time of the year. So it is better I don't order plants or fish online until September or later.

Besides I have a weird address, ups or fedex can't find my house. I have entered my address into amazon and amazon wouldn't except it saying cannot be located.
Yeah, but Texas is the only state I know of where a Farm Road is a legitimate address, lol. When I was driving, I had a few pickups and deliveries to those addresses, and my GPS, and our route planners couldn't find them . That was always fun in a 75 foot rig!

Utar

I've used Aquarium Plants Factory, and since we're both in southern Ca, I've had good luck with them. I've also had really good luck with the tube plants from Petsmart and Petco.

Yeah, but Texas is the only state I know of where a Farm Road is a legitimate address, lol. When I was driving, I had a few pickups and deliveries to those addresses, and my GPS, and our route planners couldn't find them . That was always fun in a 75 foot rig!
Yep, that is where I live on one of those County Roads, that split off, then splits off again into two different numbered county roads. lol Friends and family the first time to visit me, I have to meet them somewhere on a main road then lead them to my house.

zorianak

I'm on the Modern Aquatics mailing list; they have plant sales approximately weekly. The dwarf hairgrass I purchased from them recently also came in rock wool - I probably have plenty of rock wool in my substrate as I tend to pull off what i can and then "leave the rest" just to be safe. Not that I really recommend doing that, but I didn't want to hurt an already-stressed plant.

Just keep in mind, plants have to adapt the same as fish do to new settings. All my 4-leaf clovers died, for example, but they shot out little chains that are growing well.

EbiAqua

Here's a little update for this thread, in case you're still wondering if ordering from a online vendor or using tissue cultures are worth it.

A cup of moss from PetSmart gave my tank an infestation of Asian leeches, which killed over half of my crystal red shrimp. By the time I noticed what was going on, the substrate of the tank was infested with them. I had to scrap everything; plants, hardscape, hardware, etc.

Fisch

Plants in general are hit and miss. While Petsmart and Petco are using this gel substance, the plants are snail free. But the selection is very very limited.
Of the online suppliers Buceplant is my favorite simply because of the selection and for the quality of the plants (IMO in comparison to modern aquarium and Dustin). Rockwool never caused a problem as I normally cut back the roots anyways. Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you.

Leeman75

My two cents:

I've also used AquariumPlants.com and had some success with them. I changed to Marcus Fish Tanks and have ordered several times from them and have been very satisfied...they are my go-to. I tried Aquarium Coop a month or two ago and was extremely disappointed. 1 of the 4 plants that I ordered made it. An Anubias that I got had rot and stunk up the entire tank after about 1 week! Plus they were expensive as I've found Buce to be. Marcus Fish Tanks seems to have the best prices from what I've seen.

Fishstery

Since everyone else revived this thread i just want to comment. The rock wool issue was most definitely human error. Not to mention yeah the beads in the petsmart/petco plants are easier to remove but those plants are grown emersed so may have trouble transitioning to submerged. I have purchased many anubias plants from their tubes however because they are bulletproof and pest free and they were always very healthy. Can't speak for their plants they keep in the tanks, I'm not brave enough to put those in any of my aquariums.

As for buceplant, I've ordered a lot of plants off of them over the years with no issues. But I realized that their pricing is usually the most expensive and their shipping rates are outrageous. Now I only order tanks or equipment from them when I can't find them somewhere else since they carry a lot of UNS and twinstar items.

Aqua Forest Aquarium has sent me some nice tissue cultures before and I rely on them heavily as well for equipment and substrate. I use them more than buceplant nowadays because their shipping is cheaper.

Marcusfishtanks is a great seller for cheaper plant options. I've ordered a ton from him before a year or two ago. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase again.

My newer favorite and plant go to is Aquariumplantsfactory. They always have a vast variety of plants available. Shipping is cheap and lightning fast and their prices are extremely fair for the quality. Some of their plants are grown emersed and I hate having to transition them to submerged but I use injected co2 for those and its easier. I've probably ordered over $600 of plants from them over 10 separate orders the last year. I just got an order from them 2 days ago lol. I usually get more sensitive plants and have never done a bleach dip on their plants but haven't gotten any pest snails or hitch hikers yet. I would highly reccomend them. Just my two cents from someone who kills their bank account on aquarium plants.

Leeman75

My newer favorite and plant go to is Aquariumplantsfactory. They always have a vast variety of plants available. Shipping is cheap and lightning fast and their prices are extremely fair for the quality. Some of their plants are grown emersed and I hate having to transition them to submerged but I use injected co2 for those and its easier. I've probably ordered over $600 of plants from them over 10 separate orders the last year. I just got an order from them 2 days ago lol. I usually get more sensitive plants and have never done a bleach dip on their plants but haven't gotten any pest snails or hitch hikers yet. I would highly reccomend them. Just my two cents from someone who kills their bank account on aquarium plants.
I'll have to take a look at them! I love MarcusFishTanks, but I'm always looking to try others to see if there's places that have other plants that I can't get there.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Utar
Replies
Views
smee82
Replies
Views
Gourami36
Replies
Views