My Experience With Apistogramma

Discussion in 'American Cichlids' started by GlamCrab, Apr 13, 2017.

1. GlamCrab

GlamCrab Well Known Member Member

So 3 months ago now.. I was heading to a local petshop to get some corries. But then i saw the two tiniest cichlid i had ever seen. They were in an aquarium full of glowlight tetra. (They berly stood out. Yes they were that small)

They were apparently a pair of apistogramma veijita. I paid them and brought them home along with corries (my parents did not approve me paying 40$ for two tiny fish)

They were rather shy at first. And changed their stripes alot. They also were always close to one another.
    image.jpeg
    (First (bad) photo of one of them, i also helped them get some weight. They were skinny)

escapeAs they grew they started chasing eachother/not liking eachother. wich i expected from what i knew from these fish. They are extremely curious too.. When i put in new fish they came up to inspect the new arrivals, i love them

But recently things changed again.. They now swim right next to eachother without chasing to the other of the aquarium.

By now they are big enough for my lonely platy to attempt mating with them xD so about twice the sizethey were.. But still not fully grown.

image.jpeg
    (Them today)

Felt like sharing this lol, i will probably update this as they grow or if they do anything interresting.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  2. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

Love apistos! I've kept Borellii Apistos - beautiful, interesting fish. I think I see Cockatoo Apistos in my future, too. Thanks for sharing!

3. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

$20 a fish! Are you nuts?! (Just kidding, they are adorable)

4. OP
    OP
    GlamCrab

pfft.. they were 19.99$ a fish, but totally Worth it. my dad just went "20$ a fish? ...do whatever you want your hobby"
    (they are now his favorite fish in the aquarium lol)

5. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

All three of my bettas were that much so I can't talk.

6. OP
    OP
    GlamCrab

true!
    isnt it fun to hear Something positive on here once in awhile? xD

7. PokeTileCraft101

PokeTileCraft101 Valued Member Member

Can apistos be in a community tank? I love them and wonder if I can do that

8. OP
    OP
    GlamCrab

i saw a 40$ giant halfmoon betta. if i had money + another tank i would have gotten it xD
    (instead i got a 5$ betta coccina? still not sure if its coccina or livida)

9. OP
    OP
    GlamCrab

mine are in a 23 gallon community tank, they are peacefull when they dont bother eachother.
    they bother no one else tho.. well maybe the corydoras

10. PokeTileCraft101

When u say bother what do u mean

11. OP
    OP
    GlamCrab

they chase each other around the aquarium, nibble at the catfish when they dont move out of their way. chase fish away from the food they find if its not bigger then them (mostly the catfish food. they really like that one)

12. PokeTileCraft101

Ah, just like my Khalil's who swim full speed into them

13. PokeTileCraft101

Khulis*

14. OP
    OP
    GlamCrab

yep. sounds like it.. they like to chase but they never actually hurt anyone

15. PokeTileCraft101

Well ty for ur help

16. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

Absolutely! I've kept a pair of Borellii apistos in 2 different tanks: a 15 gal with dwarf cories, endlers, and ember tetras. Also, a 29 gal with harlequin rasboras, albino cories, and a thick-lipped gourami.

17. OP
    OP
    GlamCrab

Just measured the two of them,

Currently One is 3.5 cm and the other 3.6 cm

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice