My Emeral Crab molted!

Discussion in 'Saltwater Crabs' started by pepetj, Mar 20, 2010.

1. pepetj

pepetj Well Known Member Member

I just found what looked like a dead crab but I notice it's just an empty carcass and my Emerald Crab is alive, he/she has just molted! I didn't know crabs molt as shrimp. Now I know better.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Wow that's cool! I didn't know that either :) Learn something new every day.
    Carol

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Pepetj,

lol I kept a blue crab in my 155g years ago. I wasn't aware they molted until I had him. I thought it had died and two days later I looked in the tank and there he was. I freaked and accused Chef of catching one from the creek and putting it in there. Then someone mentioned that crabs molt. LOL It was too funny.

Glad to hear yours are doing well.
    Ken
    :animal0068:I moved your thread to the Saltwater Crab section of the forum.
    Thanks!
    Ken

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  4. D

David C Well Known Member Member

Doesn't everything with an exoskeleton molt? I thought so but not 100% on that.

Dave

5. charzar-g

charzar-g Well Known Member Member

David, i thought that too ;P

It's pretty cool, try and make the shell pose into a natural position whilst its still wet/movable and not brittle, then you can stuff it and display it! :D
    I know someone who had a tarantula. and they kept its skin :)

6. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

Yes David your right even hermits do it

7. C

Charlemagne Valued Member Member

My freshwater crab molted when I was like 12. I think we kept the skin for a while to gross people out! lol!

8. D

David C Well Known Member Member

I don't think I would keep the skin, I guess I'm not that much of an oddball. I know when my ghost shrimp molt, I always think I have a dead fish until I pull it out and identify the "carcass".

Dave

9. charzar-g

charzar-g Well Known Member Member

Not an oddball like me then :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice