My Email To Petsmart About Bettas In Cups

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by guppiesandpuppies, Jul 20, 2017.

1. guppiesandpuppies

guppiesandpuppiesValued MemberMember

Hello, all! Just a second ago, I sent this email to PetSmart:

Hello. I want to let you know about a profitable idea I had that seems like it would benefit your Betta fish quite a bit. It would also allow you to show off your big aquariums more. The idea is that each PetSmart location could take one of the bigger tanks of a model you sell and put dividers in it in such a way that the tank is divided into several sections that can hold 2.5 gallons of water or more. One Betta could live in each section. This would show off how the tanks look with water and fish in them, which would make people more likely to buy them. The Betta fish would be shown off in a tank with beautiful gravel and decor and people would be more likely to buy them. More decor would be shown off and people would be more likely to buy it, and people who want Bettas to live the best life they can will be more likely to support your stores. You wouldn't have to buy cups frequently for the Bettas, just maybe occasional purchases of things your company doesn't sell. You could even start selling the dividers, if you don't already do that. Also, if you were to start encouraging people to get 2.5 gallon tanks, which aquarists recommend as the minimum for Bettas, you would make more money per tank, which would probably be just as profitable for you as selling 1 gallon tanks would.

What do you think? I'm planning to send it to PetValu, too. I'll have to call Petco once I get the courage to do it (social anxiety), because the only way to contact them is by phone.

2. Katie13

Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

It's a good idea, but I highly doubt they'll ever go for it. Maybe start by trying to get them to keep them like Petco does so at least they can't see each other.

3. OP
    OP
    guppiesandpuppies

I think the Bettas are in cups now at Petco, too. Sad.

4. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06Well Known MemberMember

"If one person lights a candle , someone else might find your lit candle and light one up themself"

Beautiful quote from a wonderful documentary I saw about us as humans how were destroying are world slowly and killing off many many species of animals and sea life.

Documentary is called Racing Extinction.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  5. Fish-whisperValued MemberMember

I went to Petsmart today and really raised a fuss about the dead, dying, filthy water bettas. I took the cashier over and counted up $ 100 down the drain just because they are so lazy and can't/won't change the water in the little cups. I told her I wasn't spending my money at a place that can actually display such willful neglect. She went and told the fish lady in charge and that did no good, fish lady went out and had a cigarette.

In Michigan Walmart and Meijers are just as bad.

6. OP
    OP
    guppiesandpuppies

I sent it to Pet Valu (with some words substituted with others as they do not sell all of the same products and lol have a different company name). But I'm not 100% sure it got sent. Their website thought I was a bot at first lol. If I don't get a response within a few days, I'll send it again.

7. tunafax

tunafaxWell Known MemberMember

Problem with the betta/fish sales is that it's an economy of scale.

You have to be willing to sell the fish and equipment it needs for cheap and en masse - and they do it by marketing bettas as an easy bowl pet.

There's a reason a Petsmart has under 3 units of each betta-appropriate tank (2.5g to 10g)... but about 60 bettas in stock at a time. Equipment doesn't sell, but fish in cups are lucrative.
    To put it another way, it isn't profitable to advertise how much it would cost up-front to set up the fish properly.

But your effort is valiant, and I hope it accomplishes something.

My local Mr Pets decided to get a neat display betta bowl with an appropriate setup right as you walk into the store. It's one of those giant 3g flat bowls with a volcano filter and a heater - it looks cool and every time I'm in there I see someone buying one. :) Meanwhile, the betta apartment cubes are getting real dusty in the corner lol.

8. DylanM

DylanMWell Known MemberMember

Here are my suggestions. I agree that what you are suggesting is a good idea, however there are a few things that may cause the Petsmart officials to either ignore or not listen to this email.

The first possible issue is that the email looks, and reads like you wrote it as ideas popped into your head, which isn't usually a bad thing. However, I personally think that a more structured and clear email would be more convincing to a large corporation that has to go through thousands of emails a day.

The second thing is that the decor around the bettas, and the long - term care of bettas doesn't matter to chain pet stores. They may even think that any decor around the betta fish would make it harder for people to clearly see the different patterns, and choose one they like. Also, keep in mind this is the same company that sells 1 gallon bowls and aquariums for bettas, and markets them as very large compared to how they live in the wild. Putting the fish in areas larger than the actual tanks they are selling may actually make the customer think twice about impulse buying a betta, which is sadly how these corporations sell most of them.

Finally, the potential cost to the corporations. Although they would still make a decent profit from most of the bettas they sell, the cups that they are normally stored in cost the companies a few cents to manufacture. And although the tanks would be reusable, storing betta fish in 10, or even 20 gallon divided aquariums would cost the stores quite a bit of money (millions of dollars for the company to set up in each of their locations) for the initial set up. My recommendation would be to suggest to the company to give the bettas at least 1 gallon of swimming space in either larger tubs, or in divided 20 long aquarius (gives each betta a 3x6x12 inch swimming area. Much larger than the 5 inch diameter, 1.5 inch tall, cups they currently sell them in. This would be, although not perfect, temporarily livable conditions for the betta fish, and they would be able to make back almost all of their money this way by selling about 1 week or so's stock of betta fish. All it would take for this change to happen would be enough people asking for it.

Edit: Also, don't bother calling Petco :p I called them a few days ago to see if my local one had any Amano shrimp in stock, apparently someone at their customer support HQ picked up after 3 minutes of waiting, then when I told them what I wanted to know they put me on hold again and the phone auto hung up about 10 minutes later. A complete waste of 15 minutes of my life. XD

9. OP
    OP
    guppiesandpuppies

The effort to try to sell 2.5 gallon and larger tanks for Bettas is kind of secondary, for now. Because honestly, even a tank that's half a gallon is better than a cup. The main goal is to make it so less Bettas ever have to live in a cup.

I would have considered your advice in that email if I had seen it before I sent the email, but I already sent it. But I will consider it for future emails, if PetSmart or Pet Valu say they won't be doing this, and I will consider it for my call to Petco.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2017
  10. JLeeM

JLeeMWell Known MemberMember

Maybe a manager has to do a write off for the dead ones? Especially on such a large scale. Not making excuses, I'm just actually a member of retail management myself though. Either way, it should have been handled earlier than that.

11. MattS99

MattS99Well Known MemberMember

I like the idea, but it's not going to change anything that they do.

12. OP
    OP
    guppiesandpuppies

I'll still be trying.

13. JesseMoreira06

and why not , if it's something you believe in then keep trying.

I would highly suggest watching this documentary called Racing Extinction , if your an animal and fish lover , also the world in general.

14. Kasshan

KasshanWell Known MemberMember

valiant effort, but ultimately a fools errand. some places sell everything in cups. ive seen small angels in pint size cups with an in and out flow. this was PetLand in LasVegas

15. Kellye8498

Kellye8498Well Known MemberMember

I live in Las Vegas and can attest to this. Petland does put ALL of their fish in cups. They label them as take and carry I believe it is. You just grab the cup and go ring out with it. Some have several fish in them and it's just horrible.

16. OP
    OP
    guppiesandpuppies

People thinking it won't work out is not a good enough reason for me to justify giving up.

17. DylanM

DylanMWell Known MemberMember

Ultimately, In situations like these the best thing to do isn't to ask the stores to change, or just give up and stop bothering to make any change, but rather boycott certain products and stores that you don't like. Instead of asking nicely, let your store know that if they don't change their practices you will no longer be shopping there. If a decent amount of people do this to the point where they are loosing 10 - 20% of their profit they will probably change.

18. JR-New MemberMember

Hello! I think it's a great idea and I believe you should go for it and keep pursuing it. I know a lot of people are saying it won't work but I appreciate the fact that your trying to make a change in the fish industry. Wether or not it will work, I do not believe we can come to that assumption so quickly. If you never give it a try we will never know if it worked or not. I applaud your effort and I want to say thank you for doing this. I know a lot of the time we talk about these poor fish being in cups but words don't justify our actions, actions are what justify our words. People can talk all they want about fish being being in cups, and these cups becoming there habitat and lives but if you want to see that change, just like Ghandi said, you have to take action upon that, even if it is big or small. So I want to thank you again and I think it's great what you are tying to do, I think you should keep pursing it.

19. MommaLake

MommaLakeWell Known MemberMember

I so greatly appreciate your efforts and I encourage you and anyone to fight the good fight as long as you still got fight left in you.

I agree with DylanM on tactic. It would cost the companies too much to set up the tanks and it would make more work for the petcare people. These companies keep minimal employees and want maximum effort from them. I truly believe social media, boycotts, protests and bringing the issues to the public would work better.

However, an other issue that needs to be remedied is fish are not protected under animal abuse laws. The only fish protected are endangered ones because then they fall into endangered species protection. I know this first hand because I was at work a couple weeks ago and a man came in and squeezed some of our fish to death. We called the police and all they could arrest him for was public intoxication and like $20 worth of "property damage".

It's quite sad really. I say do what you can but just don't get your spirit crushed if they ignore you. It's a wars worth of efforts that needs to happen to get any real change on this one.

20. Shadow2331

Shadow2331Valued MemberMember

Can you please provide me with the name of the documentary??

21. JesseMoreira06

yep no problem , it's beautiful and inspiring it's called Racing Extinction.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice