My Electric Yellow Cichlids Are Not Breeding

Bills

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have 1 male and female electric yellow cichlid and I have had them for three months and they are not breeding can anyone tell me why?

Bills

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't have photos on me but my parameters are 0 amonia 0 nitrite 10nitrate and my temp everyday is 26C but one of them is bigger than the other and has black on the top and bottom and the smaller one has no black on top or bottom but it use to have some black on top

So I don't know what the problem is

Last edited by a moderator:

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okie, sounds like a male/female. You can try replacing 20-30% of the water with water that is 2-3 degrees cooler than your tank water. That could induce spawning.

But really, it's up to them when they want to spawn, there's not really much you can do. I've had multiple proven breeding pairs they actaully never bred together until almost 6 months-year in. It really depends on them.

How large are they?

Bills

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
But sometime it feels like he's attacking him cause when the female comes close to him he decides to chase her really quickly

male is about 3-4 inches female about 2-3 inches

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It might be spawning behavior, it sounds about right. Try lowering the water level to about 50% and adding 25-30% back of cooler water, keeping the water level low.

You can try adding more females to spread the aggression and add more choices If tank space allows.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom