My Dwarf Gurami has a small red/white ulcer Help

1. D

Danush New Member Member

Hello,

I started my tank 4 weeks ago. It had 2 dwarf gurami's, 6 danios zebras, 2 Julie corys, 2 panda corys and some brine shrips.

All my 6 danios dies over the last 4 weeks, my one male Gurami got black speckles last week but is responding well to parasite clear in one hospital tank and my other gurami is in a second hospital tank with an ulcer.

The gurami with the ulcer is not responding. The ulcer started with a white thread like on her cheek. That's when I transfered her to hospital tank. The next day there was a small red ulcer instead of the white thread. I did not treat her with anything for the first 5 days - hoping water changes would do the trick.

Now she is on day 3 of API E.M Erythromycin Anti bacterial medication - but I see not improvement.

I am wondering if I am treating her with the right med? the other gurami had black speckles (parasite) - could she have the same parasite but differnt symptoms?

Since all my danios dies all I have in the large tank (110 galons) are the corys and brine shrimps - the corys seem to be doing fine but I am going to wait before adding new fish - going to watch the corys very closely in the mean time.

Any ideas on how I should proceed with the Gurami with the ulcer? See Phote

Tank stats:

110 Galons
    Temp 79
    PH 7.4
    Nitrate 5
    Nitrite 0.3
    Amonia 0.6

Attached Files:

2. coffeebean

coffeebean Well Known Member Member

3. OP
    OP
    D

Danush New Member Member

Thank Coffeebean! what diseases were you able to cure with the Bettafix? did it have un ulcer like mine

Thanks Danush

4. coffeebean

coffeebean Well Known Member Member

well, the last time i used it with a gourami she didnt make it. she was really really sick. bettafix is one of few meds that is safe to use with gouramis thats why i used it. its good for sores, bloat, fungus

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Danush and Welcome to Fish Lore. So sorry to hear about your fish loss and ill Gourami. Seems there is a disease that Gourami's have been getting. Here is a link:
    Gourami Iridovirus too, here is another link (caution graphic photos of fish disease included) that may help to diagnose the problem more for you:
    JBL - Online Hospital

Unfortunately your tank isn't cycled. If it were your readings for ammonia would be 0, nitrites 0 and under 20 nitrates. More than likely your fish have died due to ammonia poisoning. I suggest daily water changes, 50%, add some Prime or Amquel + to detox the ammonia for 24 hours until it's time for the next water change. Continue with the daily water changes until you have the readings I posted above. Don't test for ammonia for 24 hours after adding either chemical above. https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

What type of test are you using? API (liquid) Master Test Kit is what is most recommended on this site. Test strips can be inaccurate.

Best of luck. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
    Happy New Year!
    Ken

6. OP
    OP
    D

Danush New Member Member

Hi Ken,

Thank you for the reply. Another cory died today - he looked fine yesterday.
    I tested today and my amonia is 0, Nitrate 5, Nitrite 0.3, PH 7 (came down I think thanks to my driftwood)
    I use the mini master.
    How can my fish die from ammonia poisoning when my ammonia is 0?

No I only have in my tank 2 cory and 6 ghost shrimps - should I not add any fish for a while? after all that's like 2" of fish in a 110 gal.
    Happy new year to you too!!

7. OP
    OP
    D

Danush New Member Member

YAY my Gurami is healthy!! with the help of salt/meth blue baths, Melafix and Kanaplez.
    I also medicated frozen blood worms with kanaplex over night before feed it to her and I think all in all the baths and the medicated worms did the trick.

The whole treatment took 3 weeks including a trial/error period

8. redlessi

redlessi Well Known Member Member

Congrats on your gourami feeling better!!!!! Is your tank fully cycled now??

Good Luck

9. OP
    OP
    D

Danush New Member Member

Yes it is :)

I have now 10 giant danios, 1 small parrot fish, 2 guramis and 4 cory
    I am finally very happy with it. Thanks for asking!