my dwarf gourami looks bad

blu.72

Reaction score
I am very new to this fish thing. My friend thought I needed a pet and since I don't get on with legged creatures we went with fish.
I started out with some guppies and a pair of gouramI (male and female). The seemed like they were all doing well in the 5 gal tank. Then I added a small angelfish and a algae eater. I have now learned that this is too many, but it didn't really matter because in a week, my numbers have dropped to two gourami, an angel and the algae eater. Right now my male gouramI looks like it is going to die too. It is not swimming well, one side of his face has very red almost disfigured gills and now my angel is picking on him. I thought it was ammonia problem so I added some aqua plus and cycle to see if it would help. I thought about removing some of the water and replacing it but I am a bit worried about the quality of the water I might be adding and I can't test it right now (no store open to get the tests). I am on city water, so cholorine is present and god knows what other chemicals.
I am really worried that I am going to lose the gouramI by morning. Do any of you have any suggestions? If this a disease or is it water quality?

lolagurl

Reaction score
way too many fish. You shouldnt even have 1 gouriamI in there. can you take them back..if so I would and maybe just stick with two guppies.They're going to keep dying till you do this also
1) Do you have a heater in there
2) a filter
3) did you de chlorinate the water..your supposed to with tap water
4) and I'm guessing you didnt cycle it?
Please if you can take them back...all of them..none of them will survive. Also I bet in that tiny tank the guoriamI picked on the guppys constantly..and I bet they'll do the same to your angel..two against one and the angels more delicate,

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
If you have a water conditioner like aqua plus or start right, I would do a large water change and treat the water going back into the tank. A water change is almost always something that will help make a situation better. Your ammonia and/or nitrite levels are probably through the roof, and that is what is killing your fish. Red gills is a sign of ammonia poisoning. If you need to go and get some water conditioner for your tank before you can do a water change, try and purchase amquel plus (make sure you get the plus). It will help neutralize your ammonia and nitrites and reduce the stress on your fish. If you can take any of the fish back to the store, you might want to do that. Gettiing a larger tank would also be an option if possible. 5 gallon tanks are harder to maintain than larger tanks, the larger the tank, the easier it is to keep stable. 1 betta would really be all that you should have in that tank, so if you just do the water change for now, and decide what your next move will be, we can help you get on track with your tank! I'm sorry this is happening to you! There is a lot involved in keeping fish healthy and happy, but once you get down the basics, you will be so touched by what you've accomplished. Hang in there and keep us posted!

susitna-flower

Well Known
Reaction score
 Welcome blu.72 !   Your friend is right, fish are great pets, but just like all others it helps smooth your getting acquainted time if you research what they need to be healthy, and what you can expect as you start out.    I am SO happy that folks on this site will be available to answer all your questions, never fear we have all been there, as newbies!    

So that said check out the threads in the beginners section on nitrogen cycles.   You also need to realise there are "rule of thumb" calculations on how many fish inches / gallon you can safely keep.   With fish that will never get large or bulky in size, the rule is 1"/gal.   Reasearch on this site and others the expected size for your fish (before purchase) to make sure you can add them.   Your size tank can only be healthy if you keep the total fish inches below 5".   Another rule is for filtration:   your tank size in gallons X 10 = Gallons Per Hour your filter needs to flow at.   For a 5 gal that would mean your filter should be rated as AT LEAST 50gph output.   The media in the filter will help with biological filtration as this is one of the places the bacteria for the nitrogen cycle grows, so if you are cleaning it (once a week or two), only rinse in  warm water (save some of the water you take out of your tank, which is ideal), and Never Never Never use soap, bleach or anything else!

Since you do already have fish, and taking them back might not work for you or your fish store, the very best thing you can do at this point is - Start every day with 50% water changes, adding dechlorinater at the same time as water.  Be sure the new water you put in is approx. the same temperature as what your tank is.   For tropical fish it needs to be between 74 F  and 84 F depending once again on the species of fish you have....research    

As you will discover you need to purchase a master test kit to measure your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, at the same time get some Bio Spira to introduce the proper bacteria to your tank.    All tropical tanks need *mechanical filtration,  *heater,   *thermometer,  *air pump & air stone.   You may have these, you didn't say.  When your ammonia or nitrites are up over 0, your fish WILL be sick or die, unless you do your water changes.   NOT to get discouraged, as you will read in this forum lots have gone through this same thing, and emerged with healthy fish, and they just love the enjoyment their tanks give them, I am sure you will also!

Since this is really a hobby that is a stress reliever, sorry you are having problems to start with, hang in there and we will help all we can.

Fish in the Frozen North

New Threads