Help My dwarf gourami is dying and i dont know what to do

ThotimusPrime2002

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I was checking my tanks this morning and found my dwarf gourami suction to my filter (aquaclear mini). Thinking he was dead I knocked him off with a net and then he started moving his fins. I hurriedly moved him into a different tank that had a breeding basket it in, so he's in the basket now. He's not really moving just proper against the side occasionally moving his fin. But his right side is deformed from being stuck for a decent amount of time (I don't know how long he was fine last night though). Is he savable or is he a lost cause.

For the record, the tank was cycled and had 6.6 ph, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and around 10 nitrates. Tank mates were 1 zebra danio, 1 platy, and 2 African dwarf frogs (all the fish that need others of their kind will be getting those friends when my 65 goes up). He was fine though, acting normal last night, eating happily, so this happened overnight.
20200602_112504.jpg
20200602_112517.jpg

Sorry about photo quality the basket makes it harder to take pics but he needs to be in there so he doesn't get stuck to another filter.

Best Answer - View Wrench's answer

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Your ph is too low.
Gouramis need it at 6.8 minimum to 7.8
You are under that threshold.
I would start there first and try to bring ph up

The Danish can survive that p.h but your gourami and platy are not in range with your current p.h level

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
pH is fine, Gourami typically come from soft water with lower pH.
How long have you had it?
It’s unfortunate but Dwarf Gourami are often very unhealthy fish, usually through genetics.

OP
ThotimusPrime2002

ThotimusPrime2002

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
jinjerJOSH22 said:
pH is fine, Gourami typically come from soft water with lower pH.
How long have you had it?
It’s unfortunate but Dwarf Gourami are often very unhealthy fish, usually through genetics.
I've had him since October/November timeframe. Don't quite remember because he was gotten by my teacher for a school tank. He's had no health problems up until now with getting stuck to my filter

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ThotimusPrime2002 said:
I've had him since October/November timeframe. Don't quite remember because he was gotten by my teacher for a school tank. He's had no health problems up until now with getting stuck to my filter
B.t.w....your handle name is hillarious!

OP
ThotimusPrime2002

ThotimusPrime2002

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Wrench said:
B.t.w....your handle name is hillarious!
Thank you. Also I did wind up putting him down, he was just laying there so I put him in some very cold water and ice from the freezer as I didnt have clove oil.

Fae

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ThotimusPrime2002 said:
Thank you. Also I did wind up putting him down, he was just laying there so I put him in some very cold water and ice from the freezer as I didnt have clove oil.
That's always sad. I'm sorry you had to. For future reference, a knife truly is sometimes the quickest and most painless way to do it. My platy died recently and my clove oil has coconut oil mixed so that didn't work, I just cut it's head off in one swift chop of the knife. It feels gruesome but it's better knowing they don't suffer longer than they have to I think

OP
ThotimusPrime2002

ThotimusPrime2002

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Fae said:
That's always sad. I'm sorry you had to. For future reference, a knife truly is sometimes the quickest and most painless way to do it. My platy died recently and my clove oil has coconut oil mixed so that didn't work, I just cut it's head off in one swift chop of the knife. It feels gruesome but it's better knowing they don't suffer longer than they have to I think
I just didnt want to botch it and like only half kill him, I also had people over so the freezer was the easiest way to kill him without alerting people.

AvalancheDave

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fae said:
Does decapitation kill instantly? Is it painless? Something to Google...

All the veterinary references mention mixing the clove oil with a good amount of alcohol. Nobody in the hobby does this though but every time I hear about clove oil not working I have to wonder. After all, you are trying to mix oil and water...

Fae

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
AvalancheDave said:
Does decapitation kill instantly? Is it painless? Something to Google...

All the veterinary references mention mixing the clove oil with a good amount of alcohol. Nobody in the hobby does this though but every time I hear about clove oil not working I have to wonder. After all, you are trying to mix oil and water...
Did a quick search and found this:

It mentions the method preferred by the vets they interviewed to be overdose of anesthesia (so, clove oil works) followed by decapitation+pithing (destruction of the brain).

That's what I did, so I feel less bad now :p I guess I should have mentioned I stabbed the brain after as well, which I only know to do because I go fishing for trout/salmon etc a lot

I can understand why that would make someone uncomfortable to do though

New Threads