My Dog’s Allergic To Meat

Adriifu
Hello. A while back, we took Willie to the vet and he showed signs of allergic reactions to every type of meat except fish. We feed him good quality food and he gets a lot of exercise, but every once in a while he’ll get really irritated pads and occasional rashes. He’ll be seven this Wednesday.He also has a bunch of bumps under his skin that the doctor said were cysts. A couple skin tags here and there. Overall, he has bad skin problems. We can’t do much about the cysts and skin tags, so we mostly need help with his pads. He likes to lick them a lot to the point where he hurts them even more. We put an ointment on them whenever they’re bad, but they always end up coming back. Here are some pictures. He’ll be seven on Wednesday. We’re taking him to the vet soon.

Attachments

• 37092B01-9E7D-4D83-999F-774D8467128B.jpeg
    37092B01-9E7D-4D83-999F-774D8467128B.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 133
  • 199EBFC1-3E50-407E-B5D3-3D615A72E26E.jpeg
    199EBFC1-3E50-407E-B5D3-3D615A72E26E.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 130
  • A9ED5DAD-5C54-4380-88CE-56123F3F6563.jpeg
    A9ED5DAD-5C54-4380-88CE-56123F3F6563.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 135
  • 75B2D89A-49B5-4D49-8A5E-B0E1C7ECD635.jpeg
    75B2D89A-49B5-4D49-8A5E-B0E1C7ECD635.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 145
  • DCDC6D71-A99F-47D9-BED2-57DB10D0F488.jpeg
    DCDC6D71-A99F-47D9-BED2-57DB10D0F488.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 140
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 129
TexasDomer
What kind of meats have you tried?

Adriifu
What kind of meats have you tried?
We mostly just feed him Taste of the Wild Smoked Salmon mixed with the wet dog food version of it. He's been eating this for years now. Originally, he was eating chicken, beef, and lamb. He's been limping a lot lately.

TexasDomer
There are diets made with rabbit, venison, or kangaroo for dogs that are allergic to the common meats. You could try something like those? They tend to be more expensive since they're specialty diets though.

You might want to consider an allergy test as well.

Adriifu
There are diets made with rabbit, venison, or kangaroo for dogs that are allergic to the common meats. You could try something like those? They tend to be more expensive since they're specialty diets though.

You might want to consider an allergy test as well.
We'll be taking him to the vet soon, so we'll probably consult the doctor about his current diet and an allergy test. Thank you

TexasDomer
That's what I meant, ask about those when you're there

Lynn78too
I'm curious about how the test went. What did the vet have to say?

jpm995
Probable way off here but i've heard of a tick bite that causes meat allergies in humans, could they affect dogs?

Adriifu
I'm curious about how the test went. What did the vet have to say?
We ended up not taking the test for some reason. My mom said that the vet knew for sure that he's allergic to meat based on the symptoms he was showing. I guess my dad might have been sneaking him food because he doesn't really believe it.

Probable way off here but i've heard of a tick bite that causes meat allergies in humans, could they affect dogs?
Interesting you say that; a while back, we found a small tick on his ear. I don't really know if that's when it all started, though.

Mcasella
For skin issues you can feed him pureed pumpkin, it helps with coat and skin. The pumpkin cans you can get in store are fine to use (don't even need organic unless you really want that extra step).

Adriifu
For skin issues you can feed him pureed pumpkin, it helps with coat and skin. The pumpkin cans you can get in store are fine to use (don't even need organic unless you really want that extra step).
Thanks! I'll look into that. Do you think he'll like the taste?

Mcasella
Thanks! I'll look into that. Do you think he'll like the taste?
If not it can be mixed with his food to disguise it better - the only dog that gets picky with it of mine is my mom's nearly 15 year old aussie, but she is also a running eater (she will pick up a bite of food and walk with it, she doesn't sit over her bowl and chow down).

Adriifu
If not it can be mixed with his food to disguise it better - the only dog that gets picky with it of mine is my mom's nearly 15 year old aussie, but she is also a running eater (she will pick up a bite of food and walk with it, she doesn't sit over her bowl and chow down).
My dog does that, too. I'll try it out. Thank you

Mcasella
My dog does that, too. I'll try it out. Thank you
My sister's dog that is gluten intolerant has skin issues (mostly dry skin), this helps him and keeps his coat looking nice and helps with his stomach issues as well.

Adriifu
My sister's dog that is gluten intolerant has skin issues (mostly dry skin), this helps him and keeps his coat looking nice and helps with his stomach issues as well.
That's great. I've seen a YouTuber with a sick kitten use pumpkin as well. He loved it. I'll definitely give it a shot. I'll try anything at this point. He's been licking his paws like crazy. We get mad at him for it because the doctor says this will just worsen the wounded area, so he usually ends up hiding in the closet to do it.

Betta10522
There's a tick that when it bites can make people and animals allergic to meat. He may have this allergy, easiest way to avoid reactions is give him food with only fish meat (This may be hard to find so ask your vet) and use Apples and watermelon as a treat.

Adriifu
There's a tick that when it bites can make people and animals allergic to meat. He may have this allergy, easiest way to avoid reactions is give him food with only fish meat (This may be hard to find so ask your vet) and use Apples and watermelon as a treat.
Thank you! I don’t know if it’s the tick for sure, but we’ve already been feeding him only fish. I’m gonna try the pumpkin. He hates watermelon, but loves apples.

Seleya
At one point my cat had dry paws because of a reaction to her food, and it was suggested to us to gently massage olive oil into her pads to moisturize and soothe them. This may be worth looking into if its okay for dogs.

Alice Wright
Hello. A while back, we took Willie to the vet and he showed signs of allergic reactions to every type of meat except fish. We feed him good quality food and he gets a lot of exercise, but every once in a while he’ll get really irritated pads and occasional rashes. He’ll be seven this Wednesday.He also has a bunch of bumps under his skin that the doctor said were cysts. A couple skin tags here and there. Overall, he has bad skin problems. We can’t do much about the cysts and skin tags, so we mostly need help with his pads. He likes to lick them a lot to the point where he hurts them even more. We put an ointment on them whenever they’re bad, but they always end up coming back. Here are some pictures. He’ll be seven on Wednesday. We’re taking him to the vet soon.
Hi, my dog has a protein allergy. He can’t have any type of meat. He has to have hydrolysed protein dog food by hills z/d. I’d recommend as we saw massive improvements pretty much straight away. Any more questions please pop me a message

Adriifu
At one point my cat had dry paws because of a reaction to her food, and it was suggested to us to gently massage olive oil into her pads to moisturize and soothe them. This may be worth looking into if its okay for dogs.
Thank you! I’ll definitely look into that.
Hi, my dog has a protein allergy. He can’t have any type of meat. He has to have hydrolysed protein dog food by hills z/d. I’d recommend as we saw massive improvements pretty much straight away. Any more questions please pop me a message
The doctor actually did suggest this food. We’ve been thinking about switching. Thanks for the response

His paws have been better lately. They still get the occasional scars, but they heal with our ointment. He’s still licking like crazy, which gets really annoying.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• FailedSlacker
  • Dog
Replies
Views
Tigerlily
Top Bottom