My DIY Java Moss Wall

chevyguy8893

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I know this has probably been done by many other people, but I thought I would show off mine as well. I just got the moss today and realized that it sitting in the bottom of my tank was making a mess with tiny leaves. So, I decided to make the wall today to keep everything clean. The material is stitch point plastic canvas. I mounted suction cups on the back and used my small torch for electrical stuff to melt the edges together. Melting it made the job a whole lot easier since it was basically like hot glue. The top is left open to add or remove if needed, and the bottom is sunk 2 inches into the sand. There is also no gaps along the edges for anything to get behind it. Despite going to four stores and not finding the color I wanted it is done and in the tank.

It's not the nicest looking thing in the tank at the moment, but hopefully it will grow out nicely. I also had some extra moss to stick on my driftwood. Excuse the mess in the tank since it is still cycling at the moment .

midnamoondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Very nice, I'd love to do this!

chevyguy8893

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks, from what I have seen from others it is worth doing and it is pretty easy to do.

nippybetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well done. I can't wait to see it once the moss has grown out a bit.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nice job!
It's going to look great once the moss grows!
Hope you give us a picture update.

chevyguy8893

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
nippybetta said:
Well done. I can't wait to see it once the moss has grown out a bit.
Lucy said:
Nice job!
It's going to look great once the moss grows!
Hope you give us a picture update.
Thank you, I can't wait either and I definitely will post pictures once it grows out more. Hopefully between the light and fertilization it will grow quickly.

chevyguy8893

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Here's some updates to the moss wall. The growth is pretty good and has been growing out of the mesh since a few days after making it. The moss is still very green in the mesh. I found some major flaws soon after adding fish. First, one kuhli loach made it behind, not much of a shock since they get everywhere. I got it out and moved the wall away an inch just in case. The next day I came home to find two rasboras behind there, and I'm still lost as to how they fit.

So, the modifications are sliding bars over the edges closing the gaps between the glass and moss wall. I also zip tied the top shut just in case. I also made 100% sure that the mesh was on the bottom of the tank buried in the sand. So far all of this has been working well.

Growth

The sliding bars

chevyguy8893

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's time for another update on this. The growth has picked up some with better fertilization and higher doses of excel. This has also served as an algae food source for the MTS, but some of that algae is BBA growing on the plastic.

There is still some gaps, but hopefully it will fill in over the next few months.

AmazonPassion

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It is looking good. Nice job

Matt B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Slowly but surely is the name of the game. I check my moss a couple times a day scrutinizing for any progress. You're getting some nice long growth on yours, nice work.

chevyguy8893

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Matt B said:
Slowly but surely is the name of the game. I check my moss a couple times a day scrutinizing for any progress. You're getting some nice long growth on yours, nice work.
Haha, thanks. I do the same thing with my plants hoping they grew just a little bit more. It will be nice when it is filled in and I can start trimming it for more clumps.

hssea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NIce. I looking forward to updated pics

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I can't wait to see in like a month from now for growth.

tunastrack

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I will literally be going out tomorrow and buying the materials for this!! I have been wanting to make a wall from plant matter and could never figure it out. So thank you!!!

monkeypie102

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have some xmas moss I'd like to do this with, I need to buy more first. Can't wait to see how yours turns out!

chevyguy8893

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
psalm18.2 said:
I can't wait to see in like a month from now for growth.
I can't wait to see it either, which is probably why I inspect it every day . Judging by the increased growth rate in my other plants it should be doing really well.

tunastrack said:
I will literally be going out tomorrow and buying the materials for this!! I have been wanting to make a wall from plant matter and could never figure it out. So thank you!!!
Awesome, I am glad I could help out . It is well worth the work and not have to deal with tiny pieces of moss floating around.

monkeypie102 said:
I have some xmas moss I'd like to do this with, I need to buy more first. Can't wait to see how yours turns out!
I have seen pictures of moss walls using xmas moss, and they look really nice. I would like to see how yours turns out, I bet it will be a nice addition.

I forgot to add one thing to my update earlier. The sliding bars on the side that I added has effectively kept the kuhli loaches and other fish from getting behind it. The only thing back there are tiny MTS doing some cleanup .

SevenEro

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
looking forward to new pics!!!

chevyguy8893

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Since i forgot about this thread again, and was reminded of it yesterday it's time for another update . The wall has filled in a little more, but it is a slow process. Today was the first time it got trimmed since the length was about 2.5 inches, so it was blocking out some of the lower growth. I cut it back to roughly an inch and put the trimmings in the emersed container. I hope this will encourage some new, branchy, growth, which would help fill it in more. So, it is still growing strong and should continue that way .

These pictures are from before it was trimmed.

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looks great.

Matt B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Coming along nicely. I think you were right to trim it back at that length. Thats what I plan to do with mine if my barbs will stop ripping it up!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom