My DIY "barely moving media bed" filter

Everythingzen

This filter would only take about 30 minutes from beginning to install.

I started with an empty Powerade bottle. I think they are 600ml? It's sturdy, has a broad lid, has a strong neck, and a good base area for lots of holes for the air to escape.

Drilling took the longest. That said, I have never drilled into a plastic bottle before, so I don't know what I expected there, lol. It needs as many holes in the lid as you can fit. A hole in the neck or close to the lid. 1 or 2 holes down the side of the bottle. 2 holes definitely if you are using floating media, such as kaldnes/k1 or plastic straws. 1 will suffice for ceramic as the weight will hold the inverted bottle down anyway and it will probably be too heavy to adhere to the side of the aquarium. The base of the bottle then needs various holes drilled. Smaller holes will obviously make smaller air bubbles and larger will create mega bubbles. You need enough to let the air out. I went with lots of small ones.

The neck:

This part is the strongest and should hold the airline tube in fairly well. The hole ideally should be a little smaller than your tube so it doesn't pull out easily.

The base:

Suction cups:

Filled with media:

The hose stops halfway across bottle top:

The lid needs as many holes as you can fit on without breaking it:

The sponge:

I just used a kitchen sponge rinsed for ages in hot water. A slit cut should allow most lids to sit in, but the Powerade is a larger one so it took some precision hacking.

Up and running:

It's still a bit mucky in there, but I'll take more pictures later when it clears up. I love that you can see it working. If you use the plastic media it can take a few weeks/month or so to really start agitating in the bottle. This is supposedly the bacteria assisting the buoyancy, but I don't know a lot about the floatiness of bacteria... I think these rings will do a fine job on their own because the water has easy access right through the ceramic. The plastic k1 apparently constantly bumps the bacteria around and so you only end up with the strongest being able to cling. I'm not purist enough to be too fussed, but it's interesting. A lot of this needs to be credited to uarujoey on youtube. The guy is a DIY bandit.

Tonia

Nice, Zen!!! great step by step pictures and description of how to make the filter!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ulu
Replies
Views
catsma_97504
Replies
Views
BettaChuck
Replies
Views