My discus laid eggs! I have so many questions!

AllFish21

I came home today and saw the eggs! Sorry for the bad picture I was trying to not stress out the parents! I have only had discus for around 3-4 months and they are not fully grown so I was not expecting this!

This is a community tank so I am prepared for the babies/eggs to get eatin but what can I do to maximize their chances of survival (without taking all of the other fish out I mean)? I have two filters running in this tank, and the intake to one of them is right by the eggs, should I put some filter floss around the intake at the risk of stressing out the parents and maybe making them eat the eggs? Should I just turn it off (and leave the one on the other side of the tank running) or is the flow good for the eggs? I am worried about the babies getting sucked up once they hatch! I am leaving on Monday for a week for my wedding so I can't do anything if they hatch while we are away.

How do water changes work now? Will they stress out the parents? Do I do anything differently?

What should I expect? Do they look fertilized?

Attachments

• 3DD58381-D3F3-481B-BAA8-1050DD437F82.jpeg
    3DD58381-D3F3-481B-BAA8-1050DD437F82.jpeg
    295.1 KB · Views: 10

86 ssinit

I’d just let nature take its course. Most are unsuccessful the first time. They will lay eggs every 14 or so days. So if your up for the challenge we can talk after your wedding. And congrats,!!! (Both wedding and eggs :))

AllFish21

I’d just let nature take its course. Most are unsuccessful the first time. They will lay eggs every 14 or so days. So if your up for the challenge we can talk after your wedding. And congrats,!!! (Both wedding and eggs :))
Sounds good! I’ve been reading a lot about discus breeding and it seems like it’s not just something that happens successfully in a community tank unfortunately

86 ssinit

Yeah mine are constantly laying eggs. I’ve got wigglers many times. Even free swimmers but that’s it. They die or get eaten. I played around with trying to raise them both with the parents and artificially but had no luck :(.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lucyn
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
  • Question
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies