My Discus has a pink sak coming out its anus HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by cakers13, Mar 24, 2010.

1. c

cakers13 New Member Member

My Discus possibly has prolapse of the intestines ANY knowledge would help!!!

Hello,
    My name is Patrick and this is my first post and I am in need of help I have a discus fish that I noticed this morning that he/she has a pink sak coming out of her anus I guess you would say. I looks like its stomach or something. I had bad water quality for awhile, but have recently been trying to fix that with water changes the problem was I was not vacuming under my live plants or decorations and started to notice my pictus catfish was getting cloudy eyes so I figured that there was bad water so I thought I would vacum under the plants and what not and when I did there was just so much gunk and who knows what under there I could of done five water changes and there would still be waste. So it was too late for my pictus I lost him (sorry to say very cool fish) and a clear tetra. More water changes I thought and all seemed to be well. I have an Albino Angelfish and just a gold Angel and they just laid eggs last night on the coner of the glass. So I'm thinking all is well like I said and this morning I noticed this sak on the Discus. So I went to my local fish guy who seem to be pretty knowledgeable and they told me to buy Bifurant and told me to take the fish out and treat him in a bath with this Bifurant with tank water and put the air pump in there. He told me to let him soak for 20 min. the bottle said keep him in until he can barley stay upright or shows signs of stress usually around one min. so I kept him in for about 10-15 min. Being he was showing no signs of stress and my fish guy said to keep him in for 20 min. Then I put him back in with the others and he is not looking very good I put food in after and he did not want any. Does anyone know what this is or what I can do to treat him better? PLEASE HELP!!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore patrick!

im sorry your discus isnt well :( and sorry for the loss of your pictus :(

can you google prolapse fish to see if it looks the same? if so, theres not much to do :( medications will only make them stress more...keep him/her comfy and keep the water warm and prestine and pray!

dont assume because fish spawn, that everything is ok...fish do that no matter what the water conditions are like.......do you know your ammonia/nitrites/nitrates right now? what test kit are you using? cloudy eye is another sign of bad water as you know, so somethings up there for sure.....

I hope things look up soon!

3. OP
    OP
    c

Thank you so much for responding I know they were high Nitrate was 100 or so and nitrite was around 2ish I know the water was very hard and the ph is 7-8. I am using a test strip not sure of brand I know I've reading on here that they are not very reliable. So you dont think baths of 10-15 min. of this Bifurant will help? Should I try and orally feed her? The research I have been doing makes me lean towards prolapse too. It almost has to be her intestines are bulging out of her thats pretty clear right?. So should I do a water change even though like I said before there still maybe alot of waste undreneath the rocks and the Angels have eggs on the glass? I'm afraid it will make the situation worse. What do you think?

4. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!!

Your threads have been merged. It's not necessary to start two threads for the same topic.

I'm sorry about your fish :(
    Can you post a pic?
    If it is indeed a prolapse, as Shawnie said there's not much you can do.
    You might want to put it in a quarantine tank so it doesn't get picked at and keep it's water super clean.

Good luck

5. OP
    OP
    c

Yea sorry just a concerned parent thanks for the help

6. Lucy

Not a problem. I know it's upsetting when our fish get ill and there's nothing we can do.

7. OP
    OP
    c

Update: This morning I could not wait to get up and see how she was doing. With the light still off it looked like it had all cleared up, but upon closer inspection it had just shrunk about 80% of what it was yesterday morning which is good I'm sure. I put in some frozen blood worms and she ate them right up. So I think today I am going to do another bath with the Bifurant and while she is in there I will try and vacum some gravel in the tank. Unless someone thinks I should wait a day between treatments? That is what my LFS told me to do, but I think she can take it and I don't want to risk more infection.

8. hooxeii

hooxeii Well Known Member Member

It's almost definitely a prolapse; my platy has it too. There isn't much you can do when a fish prolapses, but as Shawnie and Lucy have said, be sure to keep the water extra clean. Sometimes they seem to get better, sometimes not.

9. OP
    OP
    c

Yea I think so too. This afternoon I gave her another bath for about 2-5 min. this time and (knock on wood) she looks much better now. Her body is back to normal as far as her guts are not spilling out of her anymore, but I know we are not out of the woods yet. I'm sure she is still pretty susceptible to bacteria and what not, but that is definitely a step in the right direction! I have to think that this Bifurant has helped and I would recommend using this to anyone whos fish may have these same symptoms. It is definitely better than doing nothing and watching your fishes intestines come out! Sorry to say, but thats what I was told to do and only when I did my own research did I find there IS something you can do. I know everyone is going to say that chemicals are not always (or ever) the answer, but I guess thats a choice that each fish owner can make for themselves. I just think it would of helped if someone would have reommended some other kind of treatment besides seperate and keep the water clean, but I guess thats the point of this forum. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH PEOPLE!!! There's always something you can do!!!

10. Lucy

:) I'm really glad things are looking better! I hope she continues to improve!

11. OP
    OP
    c

Update: Since my last post she had got all better. I was still changing the water like 10-15% every other day, but I stopped the baths and everything was fine till yesterday and I noticed that it had came back even worse so I gave her another bath and it's still there today. I will give her another bath today and hope for the best, but I'm wondering why this keeps coming back. I read that Angels are prone to giving Discus fish bactiera infections. Does anyone know this to be true? Or know why this might keep happening? THANKS

12. OP
    OP
    c

My poor Discus fish died today. I do not know what her problem was exactly, but I know that towards the end she was swimming in real tight circles, first her wounds (if you will) seemed to be white and chaulky around the infected area I dont know if that was from the Bifurant or the salt bath I gave her, but when she finally died she had a black tiger stripe look to her all over her body it was very weird. So I don't know I never really figured out what her problem was I was thinking it was Prolapse at first then I was reading about so many other possible diseases/symptoms. I'm pretty sure it was some kind of intestinal parasites brought on by not very good water quality and a Pea Puffer starting to nip at her, but was just so taken off gaurd I was really unprepared to deal with a sick fish. I now feel as though I learned alot from this experience and can now care for all my fish better. So does anyone have any ideas on how long I should wait to get another Discus?

13. Hendryx

Hendryx Valued Member Member

I am so sorry for your loss, I know how frustrating it can be to play the guessing game as to why our fish got sick in the first place, i have no advice, i just wanted to say good luck with the rest of your fishies and send you a hug..

14. OP
    OP
    c

AWW.. Thats nice of you. THANK YOU!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice