My Discus Collection - Page 2

Tony G.

all those cooooloooors.... *drools*

Slug

A small fortune you could say that. You get what you pay for! And its very rewarding to be able to have a collection like this. Aquarists dream every day of a collection such as this, and this is a small and humble one compared to some.

When I get back I would really like to explore the options of breeding for a part time business aspect. So we'll see. The generosity of the discus community has come forward and is willing to help me restock some nice breeding stock once I get back.

Thanks all. You'll see a bigger and better collection and tank setup come about 9 months.

Tony G.

cant wait
can you post pics of your tank??

Slug

I honestly don't have many, but heres what I have. My fishroom consisted of various tanks in my room on homemade "rack" type stands.

40 Breeder top, 30gal bottom

271.jpg

55gal pairing tank

272.jpg

20gal on left, 15H on the right, added another 15H beside that one but not pictured.

273.jpg

1 side of the room. Saltwater on top middle. Discus breeding tanks on the far left with room for more! And growout and QT tanks on the right.

274.jpg

Various pics

276.jpg

277.jpg

Tony G.

I honestly don't have many, but heres what I have. My fishroom consisted of various tanks in my room on homemade "rack" type stands.

40 Breeder top, 30gal bottom

271.jpg

55gal pairing tank

272.jpg

20gal on left, 15H on the right, added another 15H beside that one but not pictured.

273.jpg

1 side of the room. Saltwater on top middle. Discus breeding tanks on the far left with room for more! And growout and QT tanks on the right.

274.jpg

Various pics

276.jpg

277.jpg

wow! ive never seen anything like this before! your discus are so gorgeous!! I'm so jealous! I love how you said..."still room for more" that's the fishlorian adittude

Slug

Thanks Tony. Theres always room for more!

KyWildFish

My favorites first, High Body Tiger Snakeskins. You won't find these in your LFS I guarantee you!
Mine actually had them for a while (80$ a fish mind you)

I personally like the blue diamonds the best, great looking fish!!!

Slug

You sure they were true Tiger Snakeskins though? I only know of 1-2 people bringing them into the US currently. True Tiger Snakes that is. Some Turqs might look like them.

Thanks. The BD's are some of my favorites as well....good classic strain. I love the classics.

Tony G.

Thanks Tony. Theres always room for more!

lol that's right!
who cares about furniture these days!!

YOu could just have your bed and be surrounded by tanks...

jwokmuba2

ur fish are great, wish I could have some but my tanks to small, thanks for the pics

navyscuba

I love Discus I hope in the future I can make a huge tank for them. They are awesome fish.

scatty

Only just found this thread. I know it's old, but I had to post my admiration for your discus Matt. STUNNING fish!

Jeff Varszegi

Beautiful fish. I love especially the cobalt, blue diamond, gold melon, and brilliant turquoise. Thanks for sharing! I have wanted discus for some time now...

Slug

Thanks all. They were my pride and joy. Looking forward to getting more when I get home. Be sure to keep an eye out, I definitely have big plans.

jana

wow! those are some gorgeous fish I have ever seen!

Special

BEAUTIFUL! I wonder how many people would be inspired to become fish keepers after seeing some of those fish...

mikea079

hey slug, down the road here i'd like the get a few more discus for my tank, i'd like to get a White Butterfly and also a Cobalt. oh I love the pics of your wild/albinos one of them would look really good in my tank

Slug

Any discus would look good in the tank mike! Haha (I'm secretly trying to create as many or more discus keepers on this board as betta keepers) Oh I guess the cat is out of the bag now...

navyscuba

haha

Any discus would look good in the tank mike! Haha (I'm secretly trying to create as many or more discus keepers on this board as betta keepers) Oh I guess the cat is out of the bag now...

I wish to keep a few later but for now just cichlids. The Discus require really super clean water.

Slug

But discus ARE cichlids! hehe

fishkeeper227

amazing. I would trade anything to get those fish. how on earth do you manage to take enough time to care for all of them; feeding, cleaning, trying to breed...*faint*
I love every single one of them!!

me going mad

navyscuba

But discus ARE cichlids! hehe

I know But I would need a big tank designated just for them Because can't put them with the africans. okey:

Sonfish

Ok Ive been thinking about a Discus tank, now them pictures have knocked me off the fence, unfortunately there isn't much to choose from in this area, and the ones Ive seen don't look anywhere in as good as condition as yours. Thanks for posting them pics.
Ok I just read that ya wanna get more discus people on the board, count me IN lol...I have a tank that would suit them just fine soon as I get these Mollies tank going and get them outta my new Discus tank lol..
How many could ya keep in about a 50 gallon corner tank?

ghotiguy

What are the best water parameters for discus?
What are your water parameters, if they differ from what books and other say they should be?
Ghotiguy

Slug

I know But I would need a big tank designated just for them Because can't put them with the africans. okey:

You could always throw out the africans, evict them! haha Funny thing is, I did this when I got back into discus. Had africans when I went to Atlanta for the 2008 ACAs, met up with Discus Hans and started talking....called my brother at home and told him to remove all of the Africans and rocks out of my tank. Brought home some discus that weekend. haha Kinda hate how I gave up my african show tank...because it was really really nice looking, but I love discus to much.

Ok Ive been thinking about a Discus tank, now them pictures have knocked me off the fence, unfortunately there isn't much to choose from in this area, and the ones Ive seen don't look anywhere in as good as condition as yours. Thanks for posting them pics.
Ok I just read that ya wanna get more discus people on the board, count me IN lol...I have a tank that would suit them just fine soon as I get these Mollies tank going and get them outta my new Discus tank lol..
How many could ya keep in about a 50 gallon corner tank?

Hey another from South Carolina, welcome! Where abouts are you if you don't mind me asking? I'm in Columbia. A 50gal corner tank could hold 5-6 comfortably. Depends on your level of maintenance. I'm a chronic overstocker, but I also do chronic water changes so...kind of works out. Generally its 1 adult discus for every 10gals of water.

I'd recommend buying from a breeder. That's where most of these came from. Clear across country from a guy in Cali. So much more healthy fish, and generally lower prices too. In most cases you would need to have them shipped to you, but its not that bad. That's the only way I go now. Let me know if you are interested I can always recommend some breeders/importers. We do have one guy, up near Charlotte, really nice guy and nice fish. And who knows, maybe I'll be looking to get some fish about the time you are and we can split shipping.

What are the best water parameters for discus?
What are your water parameters, if they differ from what books and other say they should be?
Ghotiguy

Best water parameters? Eh, take your pick. Close your eyes and write a number. Most resources calling discus hard and very picky over water conditions are out of date. As long as the parameters are steady you should be fine. I've seen them kept in the 6-6.5pH range all the way up to the 8-8.5pH range. Mine are kept around the 7ish pH range. For breeding purposes you might have to lower it some into the 6's, but general keeping...nothing really special. Temp stays around 86. One of the biggest mistakes people make with discus is during water changes, the water going in differs from the water going out. Doesn't have to be exactly perfect but it needs to be close. Temp and pH wise. Sometimes cooler water might spark some breeding action, but you don't want to empty an 86F tank and fill it back up at 75F, to much of a swing. Keep things steady and water really is never an issue.

navyscuba

Holly dude. I probably do want later but not for now.

bolivianbaby

Slug-you're grounded! And every one of your enablers that are asking questions as well

I've been working quite hard at ignoring the existence of discus. I've tried using the "they're expensive" excuse, the "Ph not right" excuse, the "pristine water conditions" excuse.

I feel myself caving. Someone save me! I have empty tanks!

Slug

Ahem. Should be picking them up in the next couple of weeks. Looking forward to working with this white line this year.

163.jpg

Navy, I tore down this tank for discus can you believe it?

641.jpg

642.jpg

navyscuba

That is so cool. What kind of rocks were those? I got mine at a landscaping place.

Sonfish

Hey Slug I'm in Sumter actually just more south east of there about 7 miles and I just found a up and coming breeder right here in Columbia right here on Fish Lore boards lol lol
Have ya seen the Discus at the pet lovers warehouse across from the VA hospital? Those are some of the few Ive seen and they look bad and they looked pretty skinny actualy really skinny like they hadn't eaten...
for sure ya have some awsome looking fish and they look healthy....Is there a reason that you have no substrate? or is it just easier to keep clean?
Thanks again for posting such awsome pics....Ya got me hooked lol

Sonfish

Slug-you're grounded! And every one of your enablers that are asking questions as well

I've been working quite hard at ignoring the existence of discus. I've tried using the "they're expensive" excuse, the "Ph not right" excuse, the "pristine water conditions" excuse.

I feel myself caving. Someone save me! I have empty tanks!
I can't help ya fight the urge lol them empty tanks sure need some water and fish so the silicone doesn't dry rot and crumble out lol

bolivianbaby

I can't help ya fight the urge lol them empty tanks sure need some water and fish so the silicone doesn't dry rot and crumble out lol

I'm doomed

navyscuba

haha

Slug

That is so cool. What kind of rocks were those? I got mine at a landscaping place.

Landscaping rocks. We put a rock wall in the backyard, so I grabbed some rocks before the workers could get started.

Hey Slug I'm in Sumter actually just more south east of there about 7 miles and I just found a up and coming breeder right here in Columbia right here on Fish Lore boards lol lol
Have ya seen the Discus at the pet lovers warehouse across from the VA hospital? Those are some of the few Ive seen and they look bad and they looked pretty skinny actualy really skinny like they hadn't eaten...
for sure ya have some awsome looking fish and they look healthy....Is there a reason that you have no substrate? or is it just easier to keep clean?
Thanks again for posting such awsome pics....Ya got me hooked lol

Heh, with any luck I'll be producing some fry. I usually just frequent Fishy Business over there where 26 hits 20 on Bush River Rd. However the times I went to pet lovers I was not that impressed. I've never been impressed with LFS discus, that's why I go straight to the source! I wish I could warn everyone to stay away from LFS discus. You might find some gems sometimes, but the majority of them are already doomed, even in your tank. Plus why pay 3-4 times as much when you can get 2-3 extra inches of the same fish for less from a breeder?

I have bare bottom tanks just to keep them cleaner. Doing so many Water changes its just much easier. Bare bottoms have no places to hide nasties, so you know you are getting it clean each time. Plus i'm more about the actual fish then the world around the fish.

Picked up a cheap 37gal tank from a guy in the local club, set it up today. My new pair will be going in here. Could of gone with a 20-29gal...but I was looking for an excuse to use this tank and its almost a cube so its kinda cool.

363.jpg

navyscuba

arty0049:

haha

Sonfish

I know where Fishy Business is, only been there a couple times tho, last time was about 4 months ago. We only have one LFS here and then petco and that's about it.
Do you have any problems with fish shipped in? Ive looked at some on aqua bid but the shipping charges kinda seem steep lol
That cube sure looks nice maybe by the time you get some fry I`ll have my setup going and get my sons Mollies evicted to their custom tank...lol

navyscuba

yeap shipping is always the deal breaker.

Slug

Never once had a shipping problem, i've brought in fish...2-3 times now all the way from the west coast and the water stayed warm and the fish were eating bloodworms literally out of the bags. Shipping charges are pretty steep, especially with everyone raising them. But its not terrible IMO. Kinda depends on how much its worth it to you haha. The strains/sizes and quality of fish I wanted was located in CalI at the time, so I ordered them. If you can find something more loval that you want, there really isn't a need to have anything shipped. Its all in what you find and want.

A very common phrase in the discus circles is you get what you pay for though this isn't entirely true....but ignoring LFS markups...you get what you pay for.

Aquabid can be good, but I don't trust a lot of the sellers on there. A couple are good though. I'd really just rather email a breeder for a stock/price list and buy direct. Honestly, you really don't find a lot of deals on Aquabid, just sellers using it as another way to market their fish. Same prices as if you talked to them otherwise. At least this is what i've noticed.

Eric at Carolina Discus is up near Charlotte. That's the closest real breeder to us. We are still talking but we might have another "Southern Discus Workshop/Studygroup" coming about in the month of Feb. Eric usually runs this and just talks about keeping discus, methods, tricks, medications, etc etc. Its a fun time and a good program. I'll keep you up to date.

Sending you a PM sonfish.

navyscuba

I bought on Aquabid too and on NE Cichlids and other than issues with the order nothing else on shipping.

MissMTS

Slug, those white discus are amazing Your african show tank was pretty dang amazing too I know the feeling though. I tore down my african tank to make more room for my SA cichlids. If you don't mind me asking, who in CalI do you get your discus from? I have been looking for a good place to buy discus near me and haven't found a place I am thrilled with yet.

konstargirl

The discus are very pretty. :3 My local pet sotre sells them and my other local pet store sells them too.

Slug

Slug, those white discus are amazing Your african show tank was pretty dang amazing too I know the feeling though. I tore down my african tank to make more room for my SA cichlids. If you don't mind me asking, who in CalI do you get your discus from? I have been looking for a good place to buy discus near me and haven't found a place I am thrilled with yet.

Thanks

I get them from a guy named Kenny of Kenny's Discus. He is located in Daly City up by San Francisco. Not sure how far that is from you, but he's worth checking into I promise. If you can't visit him you should at least see how much shipping would be, I'd think it'd be much cheaper being in state. If you want more contact info let me know.

Inland Empire Discus is in Rancho Cucamonga CA, never bought from them but from my understanding they specialize in more of the fry size.

MissMTS

Thanks

I get them from a guy named Kenny of Kenny's Discus. He is located in Daly City up by San Francisco. Not sure how far that is from you, but he's worth checking into I promise. If you can't visit him you should at least see how much shipping would be, I'd think it'd be much cheaper being in state. If you want more contact info let me know.

Inland Empire Discus is in Rancho Cucamonga CA, never bought from them but from my understanding they specialize in more of the fry size.

I would love his contact info. I am about 10 hours away, but I'm sure shipping would be pretty reasonable. I am looking for an adult pair for my planted tank right now. I'm actually planning on moving up to San Francisco in a little over a year, and I'll be going to San Francisco State University which is right outside Daly City.

Slug

Lucky you! I'd LOVE to be that close to Kenny lol. Everyone says he has a "Magic Garage"....especially when the tanks are full.

Phone: 650-290-1283 (I can be best reached after noon PST on most days)
Email:
Or you can PM him on Simply Discus

Let him know Matt aka "Discus-n00b" sent you. I get nothing out of it, just want him to know I help spread the word whenever I can that he has my business as long as he is selling!

david276

hey I'm sort of a noob right now but I must ask..

In about a year I plan on getting about an 100 gal tank or a large one for discus. And yours look amazing , Do the strains differ interms of "ideal" habitat. Ie foliage vs open space and what not. Ive read they like a mildly to densely planted tank but yours seem amazing with nothing but pristine water conditions, tips or opinions appreciated.

Slug

It's a much accepted myth that discus like densely planted tanks. Natural discus habitat is almost void of plants and only entangled roots make up the cover in the wild. However with domestic discus they have never known a wild so they have no problems in bare tanks. My philosophy is the more opportunity you give them to hide, the more they will. I want to focus on the fish, so the tank is bare. Not to mention it's 10 times easier to care for.

Strains don't differ, apart from color.

Gamer

Simply amazing collection, Slug!

Fishy Business is near me by the way and I am going to check it out in a couple weeks.

Slug

Fishy Business the LFS in Columbia SC?

Thanks, working my way back to a collection like this.

Gamer

Oh no Fishy Business LFS in Longwood, FL.

They are beautiful fish and you really seem to know what you are doing and how to keep and take care of them.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Stefarina
Replies
Views
Lucyn
Replies
Views
Fishguy11
Replies
Views