My Discus Collection

Slug

HI guys, I think its about time I put all my collection in one place to see. Updated pictures and all. There might be a few older pics in there but I think they are worth another look. My discus collection contains 20 fish currently, all over the 3" mark up to the 6-7" mark. I have about 10 different strains.

My favorites first, High Body Tiger Snakeskins. You won't find these in your LFS I guarantee you!

352.jpg

353.jpg

356.jpg

358.jpg

359.jpg

361.jpg

363.jpg

365.jpg

Rose Red Intermediate

367.jpg

369.jpg

Slug

Wild x Albino cross

26.jpg

371.jpg

373.jpg

375.jpg

376.jpg

379.jpg

381.jpg

Cobalt

380.jpg

235.jpg

238.jpg

Slug

Blue Diamond

382.jpg

381.jpg

382.jpg

384.jpg

386.jpg

388.jpg

Brilliant Turq

391.jpg

Gold Melon

393.jpg

Alenquer

395.jpg

Slug

White Butterfly "Throwback"

177.jpg

397.jpg

398.jpg

400.jpg

401.jpg

403.jpg

406.jpg

407.jpg

410.jpg

412.jpg

That's it for now! More to come i'm sure! Let me know what you think.

Shawnie

wow!!!!!! not much more to say than that.!! my bf wants a discus tank badly....but ive been the one saying no as the costs issues...amazing fish matt! what do they look like as fry?

dvc_r

OMG!!! I'm in Love!!! I'll trade you my wife for your Discus!

MaddieLynn

That last Cobalt... *faints*

What size tank do you have for all of those fish?

Shawnie

dvc_r said:
OMG!!! I'm in Love!!! I'll trade you my wife for your Discus!
I'm tellin!!!!!!

Slug

Lol thanks all.

I have them spread throughout a few tanks ranging in size from 55gals, to 40gals, to 30gals, and some in 20gals.

MissMTS

They are such beautiful fish They have really grown since the last time you posted pics! Are you breeding them right now?

bettafish2816

wow they are gorgeous!!! how many do you keep in each of your tanks?

MaddieLynn

How old do discus live to be? How much did they cost?

Slug

Thanks all.

I am attempting to breed but have been really busy so its more of letting them practice in the main tanks for now. Have had eggs but nothing more so far.

Each tank holds a number of fish depending on their size, strain, and when I got them in. Also according to who's picking on who and who I want to pair up with who. The average is 6 per tank in the larger tanks.

They can live many years. There are reports of people having 10 year old discus. I'd say the average is any where from 2-5 years. The cost is all over the board depending on the strain. The most expensive were those Tiger Snake skins. They ran me about $60 each for a 3-3.5" fish. Generally all my fish are about $40-60 per fish in the 3-3.5" range. I usually don't pay more then 60 per unless its a strain I reallllly want.

MeGustaUnaPez926

Those are amazing fish, I am so jealous. What are discus personalities like, are the shy?

Stradius011

OMG! II LUV THE BLUE ONES! I wish I could get some discus :[

Martinismommy

Hold cow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These fish take my breath away!

Slug

Thanks all for the kind comments. I've tried to get the best stock available and raise them the best I can. I'm pleased with the results so far.

Discus are a naturally skittish fish, but really arn't as "shy" as they might seem or people make them out to be. Most of the shyness comes from sick, injured, or bad quality stock fish that were not raised in optimal conditions. With good water, a good diet, and good stock to start off with you should experience hardly any shyness in domesticated discus. They might get spooked every now and then but they should rush the glass wanting food.

jack--sos

WOW!!

^^ that's all I can say

I love the White Butterfly strain

Slug

Thanks Jack. White discus are some of my favorites.

Most were imported in from Malaysia via a buddy in California. The rest came from Germany via Discus Hans USA.

Shaina

Wow, Slug, those are gorgeous!

Are you breeding them for sale or what are your goals with your discus?

Slug

Thanks! My goals right now are to breed. Mainly on a small scale just so I can reach my holy grail in this hobby. One my goals coming into this hobby was successfully breed and raise discus. Seeing them on the parent's backs is what i'm shooting for at this point.

I have no plans at all to setup a business type service, as this is just a hobby for me but I would look into selling extra stock when the time came just to supplement my costs. So i'm not looking to be one of those big online breeders or try and take business away from other breeders. Just doing it for my own goals and aspirations. And hopefully other true hobbyists can benefit from my success, when it comes.

Stradius011

Slug said:
Thanks Jack. White discus are some of my favorites.

Most were imported in from Malaysia via a buddy in California. The rest came from Germany via Discus Hans USA.
No wonder lol Hans has some good Discus ;D

Angelwhispers

I'm officially in love with your Cobalts! They're just stunning!!

I love Discus fish, but they're too expensive for my pocket right now, and to be honest, I've heard so many stories about how conditions need to be absolutely spot on all the time that I'm a little intimidated by them.

Aquarist

WONDERFUL....I tried Discus many years ago. Sadly I lost 15 of them during a freak ice storm and the power was out for 3 days. (not to mention the dent it put in my wallet) Too, when I had Discus....there was no info on them other than what the LFS told me about. (Many years ago)...Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing the pics.

Stradius011

aquarist48 said:
WONDERFUL....I tried Discus many years ago. Sadly I lost 15 of them during a freak ice storm and the power was out for 3 days. (not to mention the dent it put in my wallet) Too, when I had Discus....there was no info on them other than what the LFS told me about. (Many years ago)...Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing the pics.
WOW that must have really hurt =/

Aquarist

I could have cried.... But I'm so happy now with the Bloody Parrots

Slug

Ice Storms in South Carolina?! What noooo... jk I remember a few pretty bad ones.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm gonna try and get more pictures soon. You may find it hard to believe but I can keep discus all day no problem, but i'm scared to death of plants, small tetras, community type fish, etc. Can't keep them alive to save my life. Discus are easy.

Slug

Got some more for you to feast your eyes on! Did a nice big water change yesterday and within hours the fish were looking simply amazing, so I took some shots. Most if not all of these were taken without the flash. No color touch ups what so ever, what you see is what you get. I am very excited about these wild crosses, they are looking awesome.

First is a little blurry.

53.jpg

52.jpg

54.jpg

56.jpg

59.jpg

With flash

61.jpg

63.jpg

Tiger SS. I like the pattern on this one. Got the thick tiger striations up top then its almost a perfect fineline/straight snake pattern below. Then back to the larger more crazy striations.

64.jpg

WB Throwback pair dancing to each other. Female left, male right.

66.jpg

This is what made me take the pictures. This is without a flash just looking at the tank as is. Look how bright this guy is. Also in the picture is some tiger snakes and a small turq from a friend I am nursing back to health. He's a bit thin.

68.jpg

Lucy

Woweeee!!!
Always love your pics, Matt. They sure are gorgeous fish!

Matt

They are amazing

I love those discus

-Matt

DarkFin

My LFS has the cobalt blue and Gold melon, but they priced them wayyyyy to high.

Slug

Thanks all.

Most LFS do.

DarkFin

I don't go to petsmart and those chains, there is an old guy who collects thousands of types of fish. He has saltwater and Freshwater, Idk how he handles it, and wherever he gets his money, he barely has anyone there.

helen38

I look at these fish every week in my local lfs, my opinion is there quite ugly yet beautiful fish. strange really.

Slug

Strange yes, ugly...NEVER! Strange in our view of cichlids though. Of course Angelfish are the same way.

I dumped my Africans for these. Not literally but, after I purchased some of them from Discus Hans at the ACA convention in Atlanta last summer I called my brother up at home and told him to get a bucket and catch all the africans in the tank and bucket them up. When I got home the africans were in the doghouse and I totally cleaned out the tank. Sold the africans to the LFS and my discus had a home. I basically bought them on a total whI'm and put them in my old african tank at home. lol

Thanks all. I'm sure there will be more photos to come.

pepetj

OMG. Your fish left me almost speechless Matt.

I tip my hat as fishkeeper!

Pepe
Santo Domingo

Beth1965

What a treat, thanks for showing

Aquarist

Wonderful!

Slug

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately due to me being sent to Iraq this summer all fish have been sold to other fish keepers. So pictures must remind me of them now. I vow to get more when I return and already have people offering to hook me up when I get back. I have some big plans already starting to brew in my mind. Stay tuned, give me a year.

Here are my last pictures of them before I boxed them up and sent them to some good friends.

A crowd favorite, the White Butterfly throwbacks

103.jpg

104.jpg

105.jpg

106.jpg

107.jpg

108.jpg

109.jpg

Wild x Albino cross

110.jpg

Group

111.jpg

Slug

Tiger Snakeskins

112.jpg

113.jpg

114.jpg

Amanda

So beautiful...

Slug

Thanks Amanda, they really were. Glad other people are now getting the chance to enjoy them in their tanks.

Aquarist

Stay safe in your travels. Hate to hear you've had to give or sell them all because of your deployment. When you return are you going to set up some planted tanks with the Discus in them?

Thanks for all that you're doing for us and our country!

bettafish2816

they're amazing! i'm so sorry you had to let them go but glad to hear that you'll be back in the game in no time

wot_fan

Thanks for sharing pics. You have the most beautiful discus I have ever seen by far. It must be hard to give them up. Good luck and be safe.

Slug

Thanks all. I would like to do a planted tank when I get back. I really want some Wild Discus so that might be the ticket. We'll see, as I have never really liked keeping planted tanks in the past. I'll have discus reguardless for sure though.

dvc_r

Matt; thank you for serving our country. You will be in our thoughts and prayers. Know that what you are doing is making a difference, that your bravery is not without appreciation and your sacrifice is not unnoticed. I speak for all of us at Fishlore we will be waiting for your safe return filled with pride and gratitude for your service. Thank you again.
PS: I would have taken those Discus off your hand.
I'll trade you my wife for your Discus!
PSS: Now I have to stay with my wife! LOL

Sydney:D

Thank you for sharing your pics. I'm sorry you had to let them go But I also thank you for serving our country,be safe!

Marisseas

You must invest a fortune in Discus! I wish you luck breeding them!

gmen4life

wow man you make me want to think about raiseing discus one day perhaps but anyway beutiful fish awesome job

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom