My Dilemma

1. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

So, i have the 2.5g empty. It doesnt have a filter or heater as i transfered them to the 10g. I dont know if i should use this tank for my little girl... I would get the heater and filter, but that's not the problem. The heaters here are for 5g+, the others are not safe at all. So, my question is, should i get a 50W heater for the 2.5g and later upgrade the tank to a 5g? I''m just confused. I dont know what to do... what should i do?

2. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Is the heater one you can set the temperature on? If so, that might be a safe bet. If not, I'd be concerned about the temperature of the water getting too high. As far as wattage, I'm still getting a grasp of that myself.

3. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Dont most heaters cut themselves off when water reaches the desired temperature? I could be wrong of course :)

4. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

The 50+ heaters do have the little twisting knob at the top to set the temperature. I think i'm just gonna go for a 50W heater as i will be upgrading later on... LOL

EDIT: OOPS! didnt see your post LOL yes, thats what they are supposed to do... they better LOL

5. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Most of the heaters that I have seen have a cut off mechanism for when it reaches the desired temp.

6. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Yes Tony, the heaters are all auto...the 50 watt will shut off when it gets to the desired temp settings...it will work fine.

7. Diggly Well Known Member Member

so get to it and pics!!

8. Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

I use a 50 watt in my 2 1/2 gallon spawn tank...You should be fine.....

9. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks everyone! well i wont be using the 2.5g anymore, im just gonna get the 5g at the same time. I honestly want to throw out the 2.5g as i dont know what to stock it with LOL

thanks everyone!

:;hi1

10. redlessi Well Known Member Member

You can always make it a shrimp tank...........I would not throw it away, you never know when you might need it for a hospital tank for one of you rescues.........

11. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

oh very true! i cal also pick up a sponge filter just to keep it handy... good call reds!

12. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Tony. I just added a 50w Stealth to my 6.6g. Adjustable control knob. It's doing very well.
    Keep us posted and I can't wait to see your new set up!
    Ken

13. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't throw it away, it could come in handy if you find another betta all of a sudden that you can't resist. I would just keep an eye on the heater if I was uncertain about it. :)

14. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Will do! hopefully i can get pics this weekend.

I agree, i was thinking about this this morning, i can always rescue baby bettas :p

15. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Now there is no reason for you to resist betta temptation! LOL :D