My Dg Is Such A Pig

1. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Ok. Feeding time in my 60 gallon looks something like this. I turn off the filters (they create a substantial current at the top, and food goes everywhere). Little pinch of micropellets on the log for one half-grown angel, little pinch on the rock for the other half-grown angel, and a tiny pinch of crushed flakes on the surface for the black neons and the dwarf gourami.

Problem is, the dwarf gourami used to be quite distracted by all the tiny flakes, but now he's caught on that the delicious micropellets are below. He goes to town. Eats half of one angel's lunch, then most all of the other angel's lunch, then goes back to the top and out-competes the black neons. I end up having to re-feed my growing angels, and the DG just keeps on going, eating the second helping. The DG doesn't chase anyone off or anything, but one of the angels is quite intimidated by the whole spectacle, and just stands off and watches his meal vanish. It's quite vexing. The DG is starting to look kinda bloated. He's easily eating 10 times what he should.

Any community tank is going to be a balancing act at feeding time, but I'm kind of at a loss here. This dwarf gourami is actually out-competing 2 hungry growing angelfish. Any ideas?

2. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Lol. I was actually expecting to get very few responses to this one. There really is not much you can do in a situation such as this, huh? I was hoping that someone could come up with something creative, but the solution is obvious-- I need to get another tank for him. MTS strikes again!

I've had a few community tanks over the years, some better planned than others, but I've never run across a feeding problem that I couldn't sort out before. I suppose this provides additional evidence about why mixing species from different continents may not always be the best idea. I'm going with a fully South American community for this tank, I'm thinking. Thanks for reading!

3. Cheesearmada Member Member

I'd set up a separate tank just to feed the gourami in and wait for the others to finish. Or you could feed small amounts scattered in different areas of the tank to distract it while others eat.

4. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Thanks! He's a clever little gourami and fails to be distracted by other fish food anymore o_O. He's just unusually active and aggressive for a DG, out-competing hungry angelfish 4 times his size. You are correct, the only solution is another tank. I'll be setting up a new aquarium, likely a 38 gallon bowfront, for my daughter's bedroom. She has noticed my obsession with fishkeeping and fishlore, and wants to get involved. Gary the gourami will be moved to this tank sometime soon.

5. r15u5 Member Member

Better two hand the net :)