My DG attacked one of my guppies!

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
2 days ago i was looking in my tank and one of the guppies was just floating around, not swimming much unlike the other 3. then out of nowhere my DG attacked it, the guppy swam away but the DG attacked it again. Usually hes way to slow to get near the guppies but this one might have been sick or something. I took the guppy out cuz she was swimming funny but she died shortly later

and then yesturday I found one of the other guppies dead , except she seemed perfectly healthy the day before so I'm wondering if the DG got to her too. I hope my other 2 guppies don't get hurt but theyre both pretty quick. I'm thinking of getting a school of harlequin rasboras, but now I'm scared that the DG will attack them too, are they pretty quick swimmers?

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What gender is the DG? Males tend to be alot like bettas, some don't mind company, while others hate it.

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Im pretty sure its a male, hes blue and pretty colourful. the tank is a 25 gallon.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
does he have his own space to hide and get away from everything? Being shy and territorial, Gouramis need a few places to beable to hide

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
yeah there's a few places to hide, and lots of plants. he pretty much has the whole tank because the guppies tend to just swim near the top. I'm going to put in a piece of pvc pipe as another hiding spot too, maybe that will help

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do the guppies bother him at all? It could be that they were nipping at him and he felt the need to defend himself

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
no they don't go anywhere near him, they swim away when he gets too close. although this is only from what I've witnessed, I guess they could be doing it when I'm not looking.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
there's only a few things I can think of that would cause this. One is territory, another is bullying from the Guppies, and the other, which is pretty unlikely, is there's not enough food. While Guppies are quick, Gouramis are smart, and can find the best places to eat where they won't be bothered

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Im going to keep an eye on them. I usually feed the gourami on one side of the tank, and the guppies on the otherside as they are never really in the same area. It could be the territory tho, he was in the 25 gallon for about a week or so by himself so he might just be adjusting to having to share the space.
thanks for your advice though, much appreciated!

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
np ^_^

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've had the same problem with a neon blue dwarf gourami. He was in a 40 gallon, and he kept attacking my poor female platy who is still timid now (this was months ago). It was all over food and territory, no one was allowed to swim within sight of him. I took him back and got a honey gourami, which was lovely and peaceful

Just to build on Akari's advice, I would try separating the gourami for a while, then try adding it back in. May or may not work. But worth a shot if you want to try to keep the guy.

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
well all my guppies are dead now I'm not sure if it was the gourami who injured them or not, but I found my last 2 dead today, and they both seemed fine yesturday. No luck with guppies I guess, I'm going to try harlequin rasboras next and hope for the best.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads