My daughter dropped tons of flakes/wafers/dried shrimp in her 10 gallon tank....

CassVillanueva

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My daughter some how sneaked past me with the fish foods and drenched her 10 gallon with food!

how should i clean it?

There are 4 Long Fin Red Minor Tetras

and

1 Dwarf Gourami in this tank.

Do i take them out and put them in a different tank till i get the water ph, etc back to normal?

Do i dumped all the water or do a regular water change of 50%?

Any help would be greatly appreciated i dont wanna lose these guys due to a nitrate/ammonia spike.

Thank you in advance!

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would try and "net" as much food as possible and do a daily water change of about 25% for a few days with a good gravel vac.

Meanwhile, do not feed your fish for about 2 to 3 days - they will be fine and probably had enough to eat

Keep the rest of the food high up so she can't get to it

Good luck

lily potter1223

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well you should probably take the fish out first so they don't get sick or anything.
I did that once when I was really little ;D and my mom took all the decorations out then siphoned all of the food on the bottom out. So yeah you should just do a regular water change and clean all the decorations.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with netting as much as you can, and doing multiple water changes. Be sure to check your filter media to see if excess food is clogging your media or the filter itself.

CassVillanueva

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you everyone!
i did the water change and added some water conditioner
(not sure if that is the same as prime)
In the end tho i decided to move the fish out temporarily.
The water is just too cloudy and green looking and i dont wanna risk it.
Thank you for all the advice!

Also one more quick question...

now that those fish are in my main tank they seem happier....

Why could that be?
Bigger tank? More fish? More plants?

iloveengl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Prime is water conditioner. Good luck with this!
Prime has the added benefit of neutralizing ammonia.

Also one more quick question...

now that those fish are in my main tank they seem happier....

Why could that be?
Bigger tank? More fish? More plants?
I imagine the tetras are happy to be in a larger school. A larger tank not only means more swim space, but likely more stable water parameters, as well. And additional plants may make them feel safer, while providing new spaces to explore. It may be one or any combination of those factors contributing to your fish seeming happier.

Glad to hear they're doing well.

winglessicarus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They're probably not going to be too happy to be returned to a 10 gallon after the move to a bigger tank.

mrHDpants

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I've had fish show aggression when I moved them back to my 10g after having them in my 45g for a couple of days. Not sure if that was just a fluke thing but I would suggest keeping an eye out for any aggression when you return your fish to their tank.

AquaLady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jeez that happened to me as well. I was watching my niece and she wanted to feed the fish. She poured all the flakes in and even tapped the bottom of the jar to make sure all of it was out, and said, "You guys wont be hungry anymore with this surplus." I couldn't help but to laugh since this was coming from a 3 year old girl. The only time I was angry was when I had to clean that mess out. I told my brother and he was hysterically laughing. He purchased a new bigger tank for me in case the fish died. She's 13 now and still remembers that day and is extra cautious when feeding and taking care of fish and aquariums.

CassVillanueva

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Prime has the added benefit of neutralizing ammonia.

I imagine the tetras are happy to be in a larger school. A larger tank not only means more swim space, but likely more stable water parameters, as well. And additional plants may make them feel safer, while providing new spaces to explore. It may be one or any combination of those factors contributing to your fish seeming happier.

Glad to hear they're doing well.
Thank you!

They're probably not going to be too happy to be returned to a 10 gallon after the move to a bigger tank.
I dont think i will do that to them after all. they seem too happy for me to move them. i dont have it in me to make them unhappy again. >.<

I've had fish show aggression when I moved them back to my 10g after having them in my 45g for a couple of days. Not sure if that was just a fluke thing but I would suggest keeping an eye out for any aggression when you return your fish to their tank.
Grr i was worried about that. I may just leave them in the main tank and keep the 10 gallon as a breeder tank because i feel kinda bad putting fish in a 10 gallon. Unless there is a type of fish that can actually ENJOY a ten gallon tank. Any suggestions?

Jeez that happened to me as well. I was watching my niece and she wanted to feed the fish. She poured all the flakes in and even tapped the bottom of the jar to make sure all of it was out, and said, "You guys wont be hungry anymore with this surplus." I couldn't help but to laugh since this was coming from a 3 year old girl. The only time I was angry was when I had to clean that mess out. I told my brother and he was hysterically laughing. He purchased a new bigger tank for me in case the fish died. She's 13 now and still remembers that day and is extra cautious when feeding and taking care of fish and aquariums.
My daughter is also 3 and when i gasped when i saw her she just told me "im feeding my fishy mommy, they are happy now." and the fish did seem happy with their buffet of food of course but i freaked lol When she saw me cleaning the tank she asked me in a worried tone, "What are you doing to my fish tank mommy!?" then when she saw her fish in the main tank she asked again in a worried tone "why are my fish in here mommy?!" lol ay no kids are so silly.

winglessicarus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Guppies are great for 10 gallons. They come in a variety of colors, they're really hardy and they're playful. They're great for a small child because they'll come to the front of the tank and greet her, which not all fish do.

If you are wary of guppies because of their breeding habits an all male tank will eliminate that issue, I would suggest 7-12 for a 10 gallon if they're alone in there. There is also the possibility any fry would be eaten by the adults, or could be moved to the main tank for those fish if you would prefer - that has many benefits.

Guppies are also great for parents interested in teaching their children about life cycles if that interests you at all.

They're very easy to keep happy and adapt to a lot of water differences (they hardly have an "ideal" condition.) so they're easy for just about anyone to take care of.

A ten gallon would also be great for a single betta. Some kids enjoy them - as they are similar in guppies in nature when approaching their human. They can be trained and played with, which is my favorite part, however some kids dislike having a "whole 10 gallons" and only one fish.

Ten gallon tanks are really not friendly for a large variety of breeds, putting some species into a ten gallon is the same as putting a betta into a tiny bowl. The fish store says it's okay, because it makes a sale - then you come onto fishlore and they say no.

Just some options!

Oh, I also wanted to add a great way to prevent overfeeding is to feed tabs or pellets. You can teach your daughter that they only get ONE of those a day, which is much easier to measure than flakes. It might help prevent another rush of overfeeding. I feed mine tuna tabs, algae wafers and some fry food because I am breeding and I want healthy moms!

llama roadkill

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think a betta would be cool. They are one kind of fish that seem to interact with humans. They will always greet her and they are very pretty.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom