My Dad “cleaned” My Filter With Tap Water Important

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by 75g Discus Tank, Apr 16, 2018.

1. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Hello Fellow Fishlorians!

My dad cleaned my filter with tap water. He did it for about 30 seconds before I caught him. I’ve told him time after time and he says that it’s fine and stuff.

Would a washing be too much for the BB to handle?

It’s a tetra PF large cartridge.

2. Bogart16

Bogart16 Valued Member Member

The problem is the chlorine in the tap water is going to kill your bacteria. You'll want to watch the levels in your tank for the next few days. Worst case this will cause your tank to go through a mini cycle.

3. OP
    OP
    75g Discus Tank

I have some bottled BB on hand if necessary. I will watch this tank very carefully.

4. Bogart16

Bogart16 Valued Member Member

Alternatively, do you have some extra media in another tank? You could toss some cycled media in the tank with the washed filter. My experience has been that the bottled BB can be hit or miss.

5. OP
    OP
    75g Discus Tank

Yeah, I have some other media, but t(e filter is pretty small and 8ndont think that there’s is enough physical space for the media in my filter.

6. Arikat

Arikat Valued Member Member

7. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

If it was just the one and you have plenty of media I'm sure it will be ok. If what he cleaned was your only source of media...you might have a small problem.

In the mean time you should look at destroying something of his...just kidding.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice