10 Gallon Tank My cycling tank

Leigh
hey all!!

I've been cycling a 10 gallon for about 6 weeks now and my ammonia is back down to 0, and my nitrites have been at 5.0 for about a week and nitrates are at 5.0. I know the nitrites have go back to 0 but will the nitrates continue to rise?

thanks in advance!!

alicem
my ammonia is back down to 0, and my nitrites have been at 5.0 for about a week
Great! You're almost there. When nitrItes drop, it will be all of a sudden,
oh, about the time you are ready to pull out your hair.

and nitrates are at 5.0. I know the nitrites have go back to 0 but will the nitrates continue to rise?
Yes, they will. Actually, they may get very high.
When the cycle is complete you'll need to do partial water changes and get nitrAtes to about 5 - 10 ppm.
But don't touch the filter for about 3 months. The good bacteria in it will be very delicate, so leave it alone to get strong.
You'll want to stay on top of your water changes to help the filter keep the water clean.
hth,
alicem

Leigh
Thanks Alice!! When is it considered safe to add fish?

alicem
After your tank is cycled (ammonia 0, nitrIte 0) and you do water changes to take the
nitrAte down to 5 - 10 ppm:

ammonia 0, nitrIte 0, nitrAte 5 - 10

Oh, and get the temp set to your desired fishies liking.
Have fun!
alicem

eiginh
Enjoy!! I recently finished cycling a 10 gallon too but I used SuperBac. It's a wonderful product to cycle faster. If you are still deciding on stocking your tank, check out agabr123's thread It helped me pick out corys and sparkling gourami's for my recently cycled tank.

Hope to see pics!

alicem
Here's a quick link to the thread eiginh referred to :

hth,
alicem

Leigh
Should I continue adding food to the tank now that the ammonia has gone back down to 0? I still have nitrites off the chart and nitrates are at 5. I don't want to mess the tank up now that I'm so close!

Blethly
yes you need to keep up the food so the ammonia can feed the bacteria or they will starve. you don't want to let that happen after these 6 long weeks!!
your so close!!!

Leigh
Ok, today I have LOTS of Nitrates!! So my readings are ammonia 0, nitrites 5, nitrAtes at least 40, hard to tell with the coloring. So do I start water changes now or wait for the nitrItes to go down??

I'm so excited!

jdhef
If you do a water change now it may slow you down. I would wait...it sounds like you are getting close to being fully cycled.

alicem
Stay the course, Leigh.
Do water changes after nitrItes are 0.
Don't worry about nitrAtes yet, save your test chemicals.

When the time is right, you can get the nitrAte down easily with a few 50% water changes.
waiting for the nitrItes to zero.
Hang in there.

Leigh
Thanks everyone!! I can see a light at the end of the tunnel! lol!

Latest threads

Top Bottom