Help My Cycle Isn’t Continuing. Please Help!!!

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I put ammonium hydroxide in my cycling tank about 8 days ago. The next day the ppm was about 1ppm ammonia. I was waiting for it to drop to zero. 7 days later, it is still at 1, and my pH has risen by 0.7. What is going on? My nitrites are at 0. And have been for a while. I have about 20 snails in there and fairly planted. Why has it been stalling???

Skavatar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
are they pet snails or pest snails? if they're pest snails you can dose the ammonia up to 4ppm, that is the generally recommended dosage.

if they're pet snails that you want to keep alive, then you'll just have to be patient.

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Skavatar said:
are they pet snails or pest snails? if they're pest snails you can dose the ammonia up to 4ppm, that is the generally recommended dosage.

if they're pet snails that you want to keep alive, then you'll just have to be patient.
They are pet snails, but why is ammonia staying at 1?

Skavatar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
the 1ppm is probably the ammonia produced by the snails, and the bacteria colony hasn't grown enough to process it. the ammonia phase usually takes 3 weeks to be able to process 4ppm ammonia.

dosing up to 4ppm can help it reproduce more.

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Skavatar said:
the 1ppm is probably the ammonia produced by the snails, and the bacteria colony hasn't grown enough to process it. the ammonia phase usually takes 3 weeks to be able to process 4ppm ammonia.

dosing up to 4ppm can help it reproduce more.
Ok thanks. Is it just me or do ramshorns produce a TON of excrement??? I just looked and the floor is covered in poop. It’s really gross. Will it degrade or be consumed? I heard you don’t ever have to gravel Vac a planted tank.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Finatic005 said:
Ok thanks. Is it just me or do ramshorns produce a TON of excrement??? I just looked and the floor is covered in poop. It’s really gross. Will it degrade or be consumed? I heard you don’t ever have to gravel Vac a planted tank.
It is not just you They produce massive amounts of poop.

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
mattgirl said:
When my tank exploded with ramshorns the water I vacuumed from the gravel was black because of all the snail poop. I now vacuum a ton of it out of my snail jar each week. My plants LOVE it.
Good to know, but I don’t think it looks very good

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Finatic005 said:
Good to know, but I don’t think it looks very good
No it doesn't. Fortunately I was able to get rid of them in my main tank with the help of a few assassin snails Now I can throw some of the ramshorns in there with no fear of getting over-run with them again. Gotta feed the assassins some of their favorite food from time to time.

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
mattgirl said:
No it doesn't. Fortunately I was able to get rid of them in my main tank with the help of a few assassin snails Now I can throw some of the ramshorns in there with no fear of getting over-run with them again. Gotta feed the assassins some of their favorite food from time to time.
I was thinking about assassins, but they still produce poop so.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Finatic005 said:
I was thinking about assassins, but they still produce poop so.
Some but nothing like the ramshorns do. Some folks have been over-run with assassins but mine reproduce much slower than the ramshorns do.

I started with a dozen a couple of years ago. I don't know exactly how many I have now but just guessing I think there are not more than 50 or so in there now. I have sold a few along the way though.

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
mattgirl said:
Some but nothing like the ramshorns do. Some folks have been over-run with assassins but mine reproduce much slower than the ramshorns do.

I started with a dozen a couple of years ago. I don't know exactly how many I have now but just guessing I think there are not more than 50 or so in there now. I have sold a few along the way though.
Oh ok. Well I’ll think about it

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
mattgirl said:

Now it has been 7 weeks. Hardly any snails left. The only ones left are babies. Ammonia hasn’t progressed. Why is it taking sooooo long??? It took a week for it to go from 4 ppm to 1 ppm after 7 weeks of cycling

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
mattgirl said:
How long has it been since you did a water change? Are you seeing any nitrates?
I haven’t done a water change. Someone told me not to do one during cycling. Ammonia is dropping just very slowly. I am seeing nitrates. And my nitrites are at 0.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Finatic005 said:
I haven’t done a water change. Someone told me not to do one during cycling. Ammonia is dropping just very slowly. I am seeing nitrates. And my nitrites are at 0.
I am sorry you were advised not to do water changes. If you will do one now you may find that this cycle is actually done but has been stalled.

If this were my tank I would change out no less than 75% of the water and see where you are by running all the tests after the water change. Be sure to use your water conditioner in the new water and try to get it close to the same temp.

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
mattgirl said:
I am sorry you were advised not to do water changes. If you will do one now you may find that this cycle is actually done but has been stalled.

If this were my tank I would change out no less than 75% of the water and see where you are by running all the tests after the water change. Be sure to use your water conditioner in the new water and try to get it close to the same temp.
Oh ok. Thanks! I will do a wc.

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
mattgirl said:

I should also say that it isn’t stalled, but dropping very very very slowly. Is this AKA stalled?

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
mattgirl said:
I have to think you have plenty of bio-media then.
Ok good. A fellow user suggested that I go with a fish in cycle from now on. Should I use ottos for that or are they too sensitive? I could start with zebra danios though.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Finatic005 said:
Ok good. A fellow user suggested that I go with a fish in cycle from now on. Should I use ottos for that or are they too sensitive? I could start with zebra danios though.
If I were doing this I would go with the danios. If you choose to add fish now just do a big water change first. Be sure to vacuum out as much of the snail poop as you can if it is still there. I know you said you have reduced the snail population so there my not be much left.

Once you put fish in there it is critical to keep the ammonia and nitrite, should you start getting a reading for it, down below one. If you don't already have it I do highly recommend you get some Prime. It will protect your fish from the damaging affects of the ammonia/nitrites left in there after the water changes.

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
mattgirl said:
If I were doing this I would go with the danios. If you choose to add fish now just do a big water change first. Be sure to vacuum out as much of the snail poop as you can if it is still there. I know you said you have reduced the snail population so there my not be much left.

Once you put fish in there it is critical to keep the ammonia and nitrite, should you start getting a reading for it, down below one. If you don't already have it I do highly recommend you get some Prime. It will protect your fish from the damaging affects of the ammonia/nitrites left in there after the water changes.
Ok I’ll start with danios then. I have and will use prime. And I’ll keep a close eye on ammonia, although I’m not worried about nitrite (I will still check it though) because I’ve dosed up to 4 ppm ammonia and nitrite is 0 always. I’ll do a 70% water change. Thanks so much!

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
mattgirl said:
Pretty much.
You were right! The cycle quickly reduced the ammonia after a water change. But since my nitrates were so high, I think I have to do two to three more water changes just to get nitrates down below 10ppm...

New Threads