My Cycle Isn’t Continuing. Please Help!!! Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Finatic005, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Finatic005

Finatic005Valued MemberMember

I put ammonium hydroxide in my cycling tank about 8 days ago. The next day the ppm was about 1ppm ammonia. I was waiting for it to drop to zero. 7 days later, it is still at 1, and my pH has risen by 0.7. What is going on? My nitrites are at 0. And have been for a while. I have about 20 snails in there and fairly planted. Why has it been stalling???

2. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

are they pet snails or pest snails? if they're pest snails you can dose the ammonia up to 4ppm, that is the generally recommended dosage.

if they're pet snails that you want to keep alive, then you'll just have to be patient.

3. OP
    OP
    Finatic005

They are pet snails, but why is ammonia staying at 1?

4. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

the 1ppm is probably the ammonia produced by the snails, and the bacteria colony hasn't grown enough to process it. the ammonia phase usually takes 3 weeks to be able to process 4ppm ammonia.

dosing up to 4ppm can help it reproduce more.

5. OP
    OP
    Finatic005

Ok thanks. Is it just me or do ramshorns produce a TON of excrement??? I just looked and the floor is covered in poop. It’s really gross. Will it degrade or be consumed? I heard you don’t ever have to gravel Vac a planted tank.

6. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

It is not just you :D They produce massive amounts of poop.

7. OP
    OP
    Finatic005

Ok thanks. May remove my ramshorns and add a few red racer nerites.

8. mattgirl

When my tank exploded with ramshorns the water I vacuumed from the gravel was black because of all the snail poop. I now vacuum a ton of it out of my snail jar each week. My plants LOVE it.

9. OP
    OP
    Finatic005

Good to know, but I don’t think it looks very good

10. mattgirl

No it doesn't. Fortunately I was able to get rid of them in my main tank with the help of a few assassin snails :) Now I can throw some of the ramshorns in there with no fear of getting over-run with them again. Gotta feed the assassins some of their favorite food from time to time.

11. OP
    OP
    Finatic005

I was thinking about assassins, but they still produce poop so.

12. mattgirl

Some but nothing like the ramshorns do. Some folks have been over-run with assassins but mine reproduce much slower than the ramshorns do.

I started with a dozen a couple of years ago. I don't know exactly how many I have now but just guessing I think there are not more than 50 or so in there now. I have sold a few along the way though.

13. OP
    OP
    Finatic005

Oh ok. Well I’ll think about it

14. OP
    OP
    Finatic005

Now it has been 7 weeks. Hardly any snails left. The only ones left are babies. Ammonia hasn’t progressed. Why is it taking sooooo long??? It took a week for it to go from 4 ppm to 1 ppm after 7 weeks of cycling

15. mattgirl

How long has it been since you did a water change? Are you seeing any nitrates?

16. OP
    OP
    Finatic005

I haven’t done a water change. Someone told me not to do one during cycling. Ammonia is dropping just very slowly. I am seeing nitrates. And my nitrites are at 0.

17. mattgirl

I am sorry you were advised not to do water changes. :( If you will do one now you may find that this cycle is actually done but has been stalled.

If this were my tank I would change out no less than 75% of the water and see where you are by running all the tests after the water change. Be sure to use your water conditioner in the new water and try to get it close to the same temp.

18. OP
    OP
    Finatic005

Oh ok. Thanks! I will do a wc.

19. OP
    OP
    Finatic005

I should also say that it isn’t stalled, but dropping very very very slowly. Is this AKA stalled?

20. mattgirl

Pretty much. :)