My Current Fish Situation

Madsbobadz

Reaction score
This is going to take awhile to explain so bear with me. And btw, I'm not in my 60's lol.

Anyway, so for three years I have kept my sucker fish in a smallish tank, I don't know the exact size. after having an experience with two fish I got for my birthday in a fishbowl (they died after about three weeks) I decided to get a new tank.

At Petco, I asked them why the fish died and they said that the chorine in the water had pretty much burned them to death, so I got some water treatment and a whole new tank, filter, etc. (10 gallons)

At Petco, I was informed to get a bunch of goldfish and if I treated the water there would be a 50/50 chance they would survive. I also got a crayfish- that's a whole other story that I will share later.

So, I had the crayfish and five goldfish, and I treated the water and the filter was running- all was well.
The next day, the crayfish had pinched one, and another was dead by the filter. Soon after this, I was watching the fish, and they slowly started to swim in circles and lose control.

Two more died, so I went to Petco and asked what was wrong. A new store clerk told me that I needed to let the right bacteria grow in the tank before dumping the fish in, and I should treat it for ammonia. (Also at the time I had stupidly, already moved my sucker fish into the ten gallon and the crayfish into the small tank)
He said to take the sucker fish out immediately if I wanted it to survive, and to test it for ammonia and all that.

So I moved the fish around again, and i moved the one remaining goldfish to the small tank. I thought he wasn't going to make it bc he was swimming lopsided and wasn't very active, but after a couple of hours he sprang back to life.

This was the second day of having the new tank, and it was at almost no ammonia. A week later, miraculously, the crayfish was still alive and the ammonia levels had increased immensely. So again, I went to petco and bought a tube thingy to help with water changes.

It's been a couple of weeks now and the ammonia has finally gone down. So at the moment, I have a sucker fish and a goldfish together in a small tank, and a crayfish in a ten gallon tank. I need to move the sucker fish into a larger tank, but I don't want to move the crayfish into a small tank. (Since I got him he's molted four times I believe)

So from this entire book I just wrote I have some questions:
when starting a tank, how do I correctly prepare the water?
Is there a better way to cure ammonia than water changes?
What fish should I put with my crayfish? What size tank should each fish have?

Thanks- I will also be writing more about my fish now

mgarza

Reaction score
This is going to take awhile to explain so bear with me. And btw, I'm not in my 60's lol. Anyway, so for three years I have kept my sucker fish in a smallish tank, I don't know the exact size. after having an experience with two fish I got for my birthday in a fishbowl (they died after about three weeks) I decided to get a new tank. At Petco, I asked them why the fish died and they said that the chorine in the water had pretty much burned them to death, so I got some water treatment and a whole new tank, filter, etc. (10 gallons) At Petco, I was informed to get a bunch of goldfish and if I treated the water there would be a 50/50 chance they would survive. I also got a crayfish- that's a whole other story that I will share later. So, I had the crayfish and five goldfish, and I treated the water and the filter was running- all was well. The next day, the crayfish had pinched one, and another was dead by the filter. Soon after this, I was watching the fish, and they slowly started to swim in circles and lose control. Two more died, so I went to Petco and asked what was wrong. A new store clerk told me that I needed to let the right bacteria grow in the tank before dumping the fish in, and I should treat it for ammonia. (Also at the time I had stupidly, already moved my sucker fish into the ten gallon and the crayfish into the small tank) He said to take the sucker fish out immediately if I wanted it to survive, and to test it for ammonia and all that. So I moved the fish around again, and i moved the one remaining goldfish to the small tank. I thought he wasn't going to make it bc he was swimming lopsided and wasn't very active, but after a couple of hours he sprang back to life. This was the second day of having the new tank, and it was at almost no ammonia. A week later, miraculously, the crayfish was still alive and the ammonia levels had increased immensely. So again, I went to petco and bought a tube thingy to help with water changes. It's been a couple of weeks now and the ammonia has finally gone down. So at the moment, I have a sucker fish and a goldfish together in a small tank, and a crayfish in a ten gallon tank. I need to move the sucker fish into a larger tank, but I don't want to move the crayfish into a small tank. (Since I got him he's molted four times I believe) So from this entire book I just wrote I have some questions: when starting a tank, how do I correctly prepare the water? Is there a better way to cure ammonia than water changes? What fish should I put with my crayfish? What size tank should each fish have? Thanks- I will also be writing more about my fish now
When setting up a new tank, I've used Dr Tim's " one and only" you can get it from Amazon. It's an awesome beneficial bacteria and gets rid of amonia and nitrites, can't say enough about this product. I'm not familiar with crayfish so can't give any help there,

ParrotCichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Beneficial bacteria can be good but it depends if you get a good bottle. I can't help on crayfish unfortunately as i have no experience with them. I'm sure plenty here do and will be along to help shortly.

Madsbobadz

Reaction score
When setting up a new tank, I've used Dr Tim's " one and only" you can get it from Amazon. It's an awesome beneficial bacteria and gets rid of amonia and nitrites, can't say enough about this product. I'm not familiar with crayfish so can't give any help there,
Alright, I'll try it out. Thanks!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom