My Corys Are Back!!

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by toeknee, Jun 18, 2018.

1. toeknee

toeknee Well Known Member Member

Hello all. This isn't a question just an observation in my tank. I have a 20 gallon long VERY heavily planted tank. So heavily planted that you couldn't see the substrate. There's a link at the bottom of my tank for reference (the corys were only out in that video because I dropped some pellets in) Ever since the dwarf sag and s.repens took over the entire substrate my corys stayed in one small area behind the drift wood were sand was still exposed. Yesterday morning I made the sudden decision to rip out all of my s.repens and re-organize my dwarf sag to leave the front of the tanks substrate area plant free so the corys could have an area to sift through the sand. The s.repens became so thick it was just a food trap and snail breeding haven anyways. Ever since the change the corys have been out and about non stop sifting through the sand and zipping around instead of staying in their previous tiny sand patch. So a note to all planted tank with cory cat owners....be sure to leave them plenty of space to dig around in the sand instead of carpeting you're entire tank with plants. It's awesome to see my cory's behaving normally and digging around again! Here's the link to what my tank used to look like and below is a pic of what it is now (still a bit cloudy from ripping out heaps of s.repens)
    tank.jpg let me know what you think!

2. appcontrol

appcontrol Well Known Member Member

Tank looks great, i like new and old way.
    I would personally like maybe more hardscape but thats just my taste, tank looks great this way too.
    How many corys do you have? Can you write your full stock list?

3. OP
    OP
    toeknee

I was having too many issues with the s.repens anyways so I'm glad to be rid of it. Thanks I've actually been considering more hardscape. The driftwood on the right is covered so thickly in java moss you can hardly tell it's there so I'm thinking of scrubbing the moss off. Which is a hard pill to swallow since it took over a year for that most to attach and cover the wood. What other suggestions would you have for hardscape? Add rocks or more wood? And where....preferably without moving too many plants around. My full stock is 6 harlequin rasboras, 8 pepper corys, 1 dwarf gourami and a bunch of ghost shrimp that have successfully bread a couple times now, probably because of so much plant cover for babies to hide. The male peacock gudgeon in that video is now in a 15 gallon with 3 other females.

4. appcontrol

appcontrol Well Known Member Member

Yea your driftwood can't be seen with all that plants. I will show you picture of my newly restarted scape so plants didn't establish yet. It's 22gallon tank, 80x30x35cm it's little harder with stock than your tank.

Attached Files:

5. OP
    OP
    toeknee

Awesome looking tank! Will be great was plants take hold and fill in. I decided to take the moss off the driftwood, and add another small piece I had laying around. Not sure of the placement of the new piece but I definitely think it's better without the java moss on the other piece. tank 2.jpg

6. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

Very kool.

Seems like a cycle. We strive to get our plants to grow and multiply. And ferts, CO2, etc. Then we are suddenly overgrown. Rip up and start over.

Constantly learning along the way.

Fun!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice