My Corydoras Pygmaeus Spawned.

1. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I have their 10 gal tank next to my desk so I was lucky enough to notice when the breeding frenzy started. I can see 3 eggs right now. One in the glass and 2 on Moss. From what I saw most eggs were being deposited in the underside of the Ludwigia Repens leafs. I wasn't expecting this at all, if anything I had just bought two grindal cultures to condition them. As far as I know Pygmaeus doesn't eat their own eggs/fry. I have an Otocinclus in there tho so I don't know what to expect. I am keeping him well fed with tilapia and veggies so hopefully he won't eat my grandsons.

My tank is packed with leaf litter, you can only see plants and leafs, no substrate. The plan is for the fry to live off the infusoria. After I saw the corydoras breeding I boiled a handful of guava leafs to quickly get the tanins out. I added that water into the tank. I did it over the course of a few hours as to not shock anything. Now the tank is literally dark brown. I hope the tanins will help me avoid fungus.

I have video of the corydoras doing the T-position, holding the eggs between their fins and cleaning a leaf and depositing them on the leafs. But for now here is a picture of a pair doing the T-position. Only time will tell wether they are fertile (I think they are, but the possibility that they aren't exists...) and wether there is any predation and the fry make it.
  2. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Yay!! Congratulations!

3. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

How exciting! Hope the spawn is successful!
  4. AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Would you mind sharing your water parameters? I would like to breed some pygmy cories

5. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I dont have test kits. I know that my water is hard enough to keep livebearers with no problem, so it is definitely not soft nor acidic, I guess that little info is better than nothing haha. Im starting to get into wild caught fish tho so I will probably get some Tetra test strips to know my pH, gH and kH. I keep the fish unheated because it is summer. The temperatures always stay around 26 Celsius with some variation at night (1-2 Celsius), specially if it rains. I did not do any water changes to trigger spawning. They just started on their own. I did do my weekly 50% water change yesterday tho but the water was the same temperature and they didnt show any spawning behavior during the whole Sunday. We are in the rainy season here so it rains hard almost every day, I dont know if that may have played a role in triggering them. Their diet consisted on tilapia from the market mixed with garlic and thrown in the blender. I feed 1-2 times per day everyday.
    From what I have read corydoras pygmaeus are one of the easiest corys to breed. If you setup a tank dedicated for them with a handful of Java Moss or Spawning Mops and have both your Microworms and Grindals ready I would expect you to have a very good fry yield.

Here are the one and a half most exciting minutes out of all the footage I got. The last clip when the female deposits the eggs is Natgeo worthy IMO :rolleyes:
  6. DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

7. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

The egg on the glass changed color from white to a creamish brown. @DoubleDutch do you know if otos will eat fry? Seeing how much of a freaking fatty my otocinclus is (he always is right there with the corydoras eating their food) Im afraid he will have a fry eating rampage.

8. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

My Oto's have never bothered any cory eggs or fry & even left their own eggs & fry alone when they spawned
  9. DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Don't think so but they definitely will eat coryfood !
  10. chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Some Otos will eat fry, some don't. I've watched one eating Apistogramma fry in a friend's tank, as well as frozen Brine Shrimp (not baby, adult). If they get a taste for meat I think they will eat anything.

11. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

He has certainly developed a taste for meat. He always eats the tilapia I throw to the corys. I guess time will tell. I hope some fry make it as I want to increase my school size for free! He hasnt touched that egg on the glass so theres hope.
  12. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Bump. After 3 days the eggs hatched late night yesterday. I managed to see one flying around but it was so small and fast I couldnt catch it. Today I was at the computer and I saw something flying around the glass which caught my attention. It was fry! I had to use a magnifying glass so I could record the video. With the magnifying glass I could also see small creatures on the glass, hopefully they will be good food for the fry once they end up their egg yolk. Since I removed the filter (the plants have been filtering this thing for about 4-5 days now) I found live daphnia too lol! Its been a while since I had fed this tank live daphnia so it was probably hiding in the plants and was finally able to come out when the current dissapeared.
    Anyways, here is the video, hopefully they will make it!
  13. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

So cool!! Babies!
  14. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I dont know if this is appropiate but more than babies they look like sperm to me LOL!